New Garage Conversion

garyc

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Guys, :thumbsup:

Well finally after years on waiting, planning, moving house and doing all the jobs the wife asked to be done before the garage conversion gets started, knowing there would be no chance afterwards :nono:

Its finally my turn, hopefully you won't find it boring, yet another garage conversion but maybe future DIY'ers might find it of interest. :hiya:

Just some background, all the work is DIY - no help (well just a little with the plasterboard ceiling), didn't need planning (garage door left on) and decided not to go the building regs route (simply my choice) :devil:

A few shots of the garage as it was before starting

cheers

Gary

Attachments

• IMG_0030.JPG
    IMG_0030.JPG
    113.8 KB · Views: 332
  • IMG_0031.JPG
    IMG_0031.JPG
    110.6 KB · Views: 294
A few pics of the floor going in.

Decided that I wanted nothing going in that couldn't come out easily, hence the timber suspended floor with a few little timber legs to take out any bounce.

Garyc

Attachments

• IMG_0036.JPG
    IMG_0036.JPG
    110.6 KB · Views: 322
  • IMG_0057.JPG
    IMG_0057.JPG
    113.7 KB · Views: 385
  • IMG_0058.JPG
    IMG_0058.JPG
    113.1 KB · Views: 339
A few pics of the timber stud walls going up - 63mm cls timber with metal fixing plates.

This part seemed to move on quickly :smashin: I think due to the fact that I had spent several months drawing it up, working out all the timber positions relating to the finishing board (wall & floor). allowing for exact ordering of all materials so no waist :thumbsup:

chop-saw best tool ever :thumbsup:

Decided to plasterboard the timber frame behind the garage door (including 2 cable ducts) then lift it up into place. That frame and the frame to the other side of the garage (sorry about the mess :thumbsdow ) is a double to pack more insulation in)

Garyc

Attachments

• IMG_0063.JPG
    IMG_0063.JPG
    115.1 KB · Views: 263
  • IMG_0064.JPG
    IMG_0064.JPG
    115.3 KB · Views: 224
  • IMG_0065.JPG
    IMG_0065.JPG
    111.2 KB · Views: 227
  • IMG_0067.JPG
    IMG_0067.JPG
    118.9 KB · Views: 275
  • IMG_0068.JPG
    IMG_0068.JPG
    101.7 KB · Views: 264
Coming along great Gary. looking forward to seeing the final result!! :thumbsup:

cheers Les - not on your scale but thanx - look forward to your next round of pics :smashin:

timber frame finished, timber battens to blockwork (not upto dabbing them on) then screwed the plasterboard in place.

1st fix cabling then onto wall insulation - yuk :thumbsdow

more pics when sorted.

Gary

Attachments

• IMG_0070.JPG
    IMG_0070.JPG
    101.9 KB · Views: 165
  • IMG_0073.JPG
    IMG_0073.JPG
    111.8 KB · Views: 192
  • IMG_0075.JPG
    IMG_0075.JPG
    114.2 KB · Views: 233
for one reason and another ended up with lots & lots of insulation. so I not only packed the timber frame with friction fit but packed the space behind with cavity batts.

put chicken wire between the floor joists and laid the insulation on that.

even attempted to do some plumbing to a new rad(sorry I'm no plumber-hope it don't leak :rolleyes: )

Gary

Attachments

• IMG_0117.JPG
    IMG_0117.JPG
    115.3 KB · Views: 232
  • IMG_0118.JPG
    IMG_0118.JPG
    113.6 KB · Views: 225
  • IMG_0132.JPG
    IMG_0132.JPG
    105.8 KB · Views: 238
A good pipebender would have saved you a couple of possible leak spots there! :lesson:

ok - some more pics

its nice to get some boards on the walls :thumbsup:

Gary

Attachments

• IMG_0133.JPG
    IMG_0133.JPG
    107.6 KB · Views: 211
  • IMG_0138.JPG
    IMG_0138.JPG
    114.3 KB · Views: 233
  • IMG_0139.JPG
    IMG_0139.JPG
    118.5 KB · Views: 248
Really coming on Gary...looking good! :smashin:

I don't think I will be far behind you as the Sparky is installing the cabling and the Plasterboard is going up this week! :)

How many sockets have you got at the front then...looks like a few!! I have down-sized mine to 5 but I now thinking about adding a few more just in case!!

Keep the piccies coming matey! :thumbsup:

Hi Les,

I've gone for 4 doubles - subs are plugged in at the sides

The central two single sockets are for cable drops/cat5

cheers

Gary

Looks great :thumbsup:

Keep the pics coming! As soon as my flat is sold I'll be searching for a house with a garage that I can convert (I've been promised that much by the Missus). Hopefully I can get some tips from your build. :smashin:

thanxs :)

a few more pics - worse job yet - insulating the roof void over(talk about getting the itch :thumbsdow ). little mono pitch not easy to crawl around in. not forgetting the switched spur for the proj to plug into!!

more as soon as

Gary

Attachments

• IMG_0140.JPG
    IMG_0140.JPG
    110.6 KB · Views: 223
  • IMG_0141.JPG
    IMG_0141.JPG
    102.6 KB · Views: 170
Scratch, Scratch!! ;)

a few more pics

filling and rubbing down done - at last :clap:

now onto the painting and the floor and the electrics and the ..........

Gary

Attachments

• IMG_0139.JPG
    IMG_0139.JPG
    111.6 KB · Views: 230
  • IMG_0140.JPG
    IMG_0140.JPG
    118.1 KB · Views: 226
Ohhh...looking good matey! I have just noticed that you have quite a few sockets running down the length of your room...never have enough in my book! :lesson:

Can't wait to see this finished! Have you any time scale when you'll be up and running? :thumbsup:

Sockets down the side - 2 singles either side towards the front (for 2 subs) then their is the switched fused spur feeding the projector, after that comes a USB wall socket(for keyboard/mouse) , and right at the back (near the window) is a further double power socket.

Plan is to finish before the end of this month. got some mates coming round before heading off to the london hidi show!!

helps to have a goal

Cheers

Gary

ok - found digi camera so heres some more pics.

not finished but getting there :smashin:

Gary

Attachments

• IMG_0142.JPG
    IMG_0142.JPG
    100.3 KB · Views: 330
  • IMG_0143.JPG
    IMG_0143.JPG
    110.7 KB · Views: 268
  • IMG_0144.JPG
    IMG_0144.JPG
    103.4 KB · Views: 260
  • IMG_0146.JPG
    IMG_0146.JPG
    106.2 KB · Views: 298
Oh, I am really jealous now...!!! ;)

Wow, you've really got the wind behind you, nearly there!!

Still haven't finished the plastering on mine yet!! :eek:

Seriously great job Gary...keep those piccies coming.

Actually, a little request!! Can you take a Close Up of the sockets where all your cables are exiting...just like to see how you've finished it off (wife thinks I am obcessed with cables at the minute!! :D )

Smashin'!! :smashin: Cheers mate!

BTW, what are you displaying on your great looking shelves...and where did you get that from?

Wives seem to be good at that!!! :D

Just going over your previous posts and you mention that you're having 2 Subs...is that going to over-power the rest of the soundstage in a room your size?

However I read that I have heard nothing 'till I've heard 2 subs in one room...but I don't think I could do it mine!!

well thats the 'future' plan - I already have a rel strata 2 (so not the biggest sub in the world) but always fanced 2 subs.

but will decide when its all up and running, but the way the budget is going it may not be for sometime to come!!

Gary

Oh, budgets...I hate that word at the minute!! :eek:

As well as the initial build and all the soft furnishings I am finding little monies for any hardware...and I really can't see where I will get any from at the moment!

I am going to have a lovely home cinema room...with nothing it!

What size is your room, I don't believe you've mentioned it previously...plus what kit is going in there?

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom