New Garage Conversion - 5.1.2

TIMCSSS

Hi everyone, I hope everyone is well.

In a few weeks time ill be starting my DIY garage conversion once my planning permission has been granted (new build)

Its a internal garage, 6m x 3.3m. Ill be knocking through a 2.8m wall which connects the garage to the main living space at the moment. And i will provide some photos in my next post.

My main questions at the moment are below and any help will be amazing.

1. Would you do a insulated solid floor (DPM, Institution boards, chipboard) OR a timber suspended floor? Which would be easier to match the current floor in the main house (concrete slab)
  2. On the 3 external walls, they are cavity insulated, but i want to add more. However my TV/Media/Cinema space will be at the far end of the garage, and be on the width so dont want to take any more out the walls if i dont need to as i will loose more width. The TV will be going on the internal wall, sofa on the external wall 3.3 metres away. what would be the best way to insulate it? Wood Stud, Metal Stud, genie clips with rail?
  3. Speakers. As the width will only be 3.3 metres before any wall additions, the rears are going to have to go behind the seating area or to the side, What speakers would be best for this space including the front and Atmos heights (should they be front heights)
Thank you for any help at this stage and ill post photos later.

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
Post some pictures so people can have better idea what you dealing with. :)

If the listeners are close to surround speakers you should look in to bipole/tripole/triaxial surround speakers which fire both direction creating more dispersed soundfield. Ideally you would mount them close to seated ear height (on side walls) cause you want separation to height channels.

Is in-ceiling / on-ceiling overhead speakers possible for atmos?

If you intrested reading members stories here is one DIY garage to cinema 7x2,5m . There is more pictures in the comment section so read those too.

TIMCSSS

Post some pictures so people can have better idea what you dealing with. :)

If the listeners are close to surround speakers you should look in to bipole/tripole/triaxial surround speakers which fire both direction creating more dispersed soundfield. Ideally you would mount them close to seated ear height (on side walls) cause you want separation to height channels.

Is in-ceiling / on-ceiling overhead speakers possible for atmos?

If you intrested reading members stories here is one DIY garage to cinema 7x2,5m . There is more pictures in the comment section so read those too.

Hi thank you for your repsonse. Please see the below plan and photos.

The red wall will be coming down and the front garage door bricked up and a window installed. The rear door will be replaced with a full height window.

The sofa will be in yellow with the TV placed on the wall with some form of media wall. It could flip and go on the other wall.
20220320_205109.jpg
20220311_190351.jpg

Yorkshire AV

AVForums Sponsor
Hello Tim

Is there an option to move the TV further into the room (same wall) to give you a little more width for your left/right speakers?

You could consider studding the wall out (4x2) with acoustic slab/rockwall the new cavity - this way you insulate further plus give yourself options for some in-wall speakers too.

The below is a garage but with the TV on the shorter wall. Speakers were built into the wall around the TV, into the wall on the sides and on-wall for the rear plus 4 channel ATMOS.

1647871650293.png

Your rear surrounds would ideally be on the side walls, but as you don't have a side wall on the left side, this causes a slight issue. So your rear wall as suggested will be likely where they have to be. Something such as the DALI Oberon on-wall / Opticon LCR etc are nice and wider dispersing or you have options such as the Silver FX from Monitor Audio too. There are front LCR options to match whichever you would like to go the rear.

Your ATMOS in-ceiling speakers (assuming this is OK - not hard to do in your current room :)) are going to be forward slightly of the seating position and in-line with your front left/right speaker.

DALI Option:
M-375 LCR
E-80 ceiling
Opticon LCR on-wall

Monitor Audio Option
CP-IW260X LCR
C-265IDC ceiling
Silver FX on-wall

Feel free to DM me if I can help at all :)

rik111

I'm just in the middle of my conversion.....
Why do you need planning??, garage conversion usually falls under permitted development which doesn't require planning but still needs council sign off i.e. the inspector visiting and everything and most importantly insulation done properly.

Regarding the floor, I used 75mm Celetox insulation with I think 65mm of Screed (concrete) on top. They put down a membrane on top of the insulation as well I think. Celotex GA4000 Insulation Board

On the external walls you will need insulated boards. I've just used 27mm like this British Gypsum Gyproc Thermaline Plus Plasterboard With Extruded Polystyrene Tapered Edge 2400mm x 1200mm x 27mm
Dot and dab will easiest quickest and take up least room.

The insulation is the main thing building control will look at to ensure the room meets current regulations. If it is not insulated to the correct value they will never sign it off and you will be in all kinds of trouble... Probably best just not involve the council at all unless you are 100% sure of what you are doing.

rik111

Just to add to do the above properly is not cheap ! My garage is 9.65 x 2.85 mtrs with one of the 9.65 mtr lengths internal but I have spent a small fortune on insulation (floor and walls) and have been buying it at trade prices.
Here's where I am up to, plasterboard and plastering being done next week !

Attachments

• Garage.jpg
    Garage.jpg
    171.7 KB · Views: 45

TIMCSSS

I'm just in the middle of my conversion.....
Why do you need planning??, garage conversion usually falls under permitted development which doesn't require planning but still needs council sign off i.e. the inspector visiting and everything and most importantly insulation done properly.

Regarding the floor, I used 75mm Celetox insulation with I think 65mm of Screed (concrete) on top. They put down a membrane on top of the insulation as well I think. Celotex GA4000 Insulation Board

On the external walls you will need insulated boards. I've just used 27mm like this British Gypsum Gyproc Thermaline Plus Plasterboard With Extruded Polystyrene Tapered Edge 2400mm x 1200mm x 27mm
Dot and dab will easiest quickest and take up least room.

The insulation is the main thing building control will look at to ensure the room meets current regulations. If it is not insulated to the correct value they will never sign it off and you will be in all kinds of trouble... Probably best just not involve the council at all unless you are 100% sure of what you are doing.
Hi mate. Thank you for coming back to me. I know the planning permission is a bum. It's a new build and the original planning permission states that the garage must remainfor garage and cycles only. It's also in the convent set by the developer but they will be offsite soon and don't seem to care now so that's all ok. I got some pre advice from the council. Providing I ensure there is suitable cycle storage (a shed) and at least 2 parking spaces is will be ok ( 3 bed house, I have 2.5 spaces)

Thank you for the other bits I'll take a look now and come back :)

rik111

Biggest problem I had was getting matching bricks, no one had them! Took me 3 months to find a similar brick in stock that I didn't have to buy the pallet load.... So if they are still on site you might want to try and grab some.

Attachments

• IMG_20220411_170633.jpg
    IMG_20220411_170633.jpg
    560.8 KB · Views: 40

The latest video from AVForums

Paramount + UK launch: Halo, Star Trek and Beavis, and all the latest 4K + Movie/TV News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom