New Gaming TV Channel Coming Soon To Sky

andrewrunagall

Xleague.tv/ is coming in May, it says it'll be streaming on-line sometime this month.

Sinzer

Distinguished Member
I dunno, had a look and not sure it will really take off. Dunno if I would be bothered to sit and watch other people game a lot.

If you are into an online game it can be worth watching some of the top players to get some tips, but you will only get good if you play. I am sure most gamers would rather be playing than watch this.

Miyazaki

Distinguished Member
BBC needs to bring back gamesmaster, maybe even dominic diamond with it!

Mark Botwright

Distinguished Member
I'm pretty sure Gamesmaster was channel 4. Personally i still can't believe no TV company has ever managed to create anything like it since!:(

Tejstar

Distinguished Member
I'm pretty sure Gamesmaster was channel 4. Personally i still can't believe no TV company has ever managed to create anything like it since!:(
Tell me about it - surely has more of a profile now than it did all those years ago!

shay0

Distinguished Member
The "Golden Joystick" was sheer genius... how could something so tacky be so sought after :rotfl:

andrewrunagall

Tell me about it - surely has more of a profile now than it did all those years ago!

They did a "sort of" follow-up to GamesMaster, it was called When Games Attack (on Bravo) which was great with Dominic Diamond presenting.
Bring back Bits - actually, on second thoughts, maybe not.

I liked that show, it was perfect for geeky teenagers at the time. Girls, games and toilet humour! That's what I seem to remember.

Intya

What about Bad Influence, with the lovely Violet Berlin, Andy Crane looking out of his depth, and that weirdo in the shed giving out cheats?

Chanser

If you live in Scotland, BBC2 was showing VideoGaiden and that was a great show. :)

They have a online version called Consolevania.

Mark Botwright

Distinguished Member
I actually thought Bits was okay, it's certainly better than nothing!
Agreed. I still find it rather perplexing though that making a decent show about gaming is that hard. Considering the size and profitability of the market according to some has even eclipsed that of cinema in some places.

How many shows each week look at some new movie premiere?

I even resorted to watching Cybernet at 3am.

Tejstar

Distinguished Member
Tbh I wouldn't even care if it was on some ungodly hour - at least I could Sky+ and watch it whenever I want.

Mark Botwright

Distinguished Member
I even resorted to watching "The Culture Show" for their review of the Wii. I'm never getting that hour of my life back!!!:mad:

Emulous

Ive watched Gamertv a few times on Bravo (Every Sunday) and dont think its too bad. Although some reviews can be overly long.

Mark Botwright

Distinguished Member
Wasn't there a late night games hsow on channel 4 presented by Iain Lee?
I only remember because he rubbished Max Payne.

Pbryanw

I suppose Bits wasn't all bad - it gave us Aleks Krotoski who now, amongst other things, writes very informative articles for the Guardian's computer section and games blog.

The program starring Iain Lee was Thumb Bandits. Only remember it because it also had Aleks Krotoski (of bits fame) on it. Didn't run for very long if I recall (only 13 episodes) and was another games show that was on at a late hour.

Tejstar

Distinguished Member
I suppose Bits wasn't all bad - it gave us Aleks Krotoski who now, amongst other things, writes very informative articles for the Guardian's computer section and games blog.

Indeed, the Guardian has a great game blog section.

CAS FAN

Distinguished Member
Anyway, I guess seeing as the OP has kindly posted about this new show/concept, it may be an idea to actually discuss it :).

Sounds a great idea to me and it's an idea i've basically been waiting to come to fruition. I feel that it's only a matter of time until the top games players and gaming as a "sport" is regarded along side the likes of say Snooker and it's players. Things like this are a good development for professional gaming, but I feel that it really needs a worldwide governing body to take control of the professional side of things for it to really make a move into the mainstream sporting arena. Watching the best in the world compete is always a joy IMO, whether they are participating in Football, Rugby, Snooker, motorsport or video games and I am looking forward to seeing how this progresses.

It won't be everyone's idea of fun, but one good thing gaming has over other sports is that it is a genre that covers multiple games, not just one game (like say Snooker or Darts). That means that there's a much larger chance for there to be something for everyone and for even gaming itself to diversify into many high profile competitions. Imagine the official Pro Evo/FIFA world cup or the Gran Turismo Championsips.

Basically if sports like Fishing, darts, curling and bowls can get good TV coverage then there should certainly be an audience for Gaming IMO.

Mark Botwright

Distinguished Member
Basically if sports like Fishing, darts, curling and bowls can get good TV coverage then there should certainly be an audience for Gaming IMO.

I've got to admit i've never really considered any of these as sports, but that's another discussion.

Whilst an online gaming channel sounds like a progressive idea, i still feel that the interactivity of digital TV could be used to greater effect.

CAS FAN

Distinguished Member
I've got to admit i've never really considered any of these as sports, but that's another discussion.

Whilst an online gaming channel sounds like a progressive idea, i still feel that the interactivity of digital TV could be used to greater effect.

To be honest I don't personally class them as sports either as sports should involve physical exertion, but they seem to be grouped together under the sport banner. I wouldn't say that they are any more sports than gaming though, especially if you factor in the Wii, which you could probably class as a sport I guess.

What would you suggest for potential uses of Digital TV in this area?

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

What's new on Netflix (UK) for October 2022
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Starzplay streaming service rebrands as Lionsgate+
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
JVC adds Filmmaker Mode to latest D-ILA projector firmware
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Bowers & Wilkins launches Px8 headphone