New Gaming Rig

DarrylJohn

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Hopefully this all goes smoothly because I feel like I'm just chucking parts together right now.

I basically put alerts on Amazon for all the 3080 Graphics cards, so when one came in I purchased it instantly on 30th October. This was around 685 after buying Amazon Vouchers. Palit GeForce RTX 3080 GamingPro. Pretty much at this point I decided I was gonna build a PC and sell my current one on.

My next port of call was the new Ryzen CPUs. So by the time the sites slowed down I still never had one. So I got frustrated with the time it was taking to order a 5900x seperately, by which point they went pre-order. So in the end bought a Mobo and CPU combo for £770. So got the 5900x and the Asus Rog Strix X570-E. I think I may have saved around £20 getting the bundle so that's a win, right? o_O

I just went to Currys and bought an unknown PSU... Paid £186 in total for:

ADX - Power W850 Modular ATX PSU - 850 W
LIAN-LI - PC-O11DX Dynamic Mid-Tower ATX PC Case - Black

I've just purchased 2 x 8GB CL16, Crucial Ballistix 3600mhz for £68 on Amazon

This is where I'm hoping others can come in, I currently have a Kraken X62 in my current build which is great. So along those lines but to fill the entire length of the case, so probably need a 360mm one? Does anyone have suggestions for that? Plus actual case fans as I currently have zero!

Thanks!

Seriously you've bought some very good kit there and are going to power it with a cheap relatively unknown brand PSU :eek:

As for cooling Corsair do 360 AIO's as do a few others, maybe check out a few reviews and as for fans again Corsair are good also quite a few are using the new Lian-Li Uni which is an obvious choice if you can find any ?

Seriously you've bought some very good kit there and are going to power it with a cheap relatively unknown brand PSU :eek:

As for cooling Corsair do 360 AIO's as do a few others, maybe check out a few reviews and as for fans again Corsair are good also quite a few are using the new Lian-Li Uni which is an obvious choice if you can find any ?

Haha, indeed.

I was intending to get the 750W Super Flower Gold Modular, but went OOS. I figured if it's got a 10 year warranty, it should be good!

I'll take a look, thanks for that

Haha, indeed.

I was intending to get the 750W Super Flower Gold Modular, but went OOS. I figured if it's got a 10 year warranty, it should be good!

Yeah I just did a bit of a search on the ADX PSU and it seems to be reasonable according to reddit posts, so might be a billy bargain.

It is on the PSU tier list - rank C - which means at least it has been assessed unlike a lot of other unknown brands. I haven't heard of it personally till now.

As for the AIO - have a look at the AC Liquid 360 - Liquid Freezer II 360 | Multi-Compatible AiO CPU Water Cooler | ARCTIC
Gamers Nexus rated it highly for it's abilities and it is a good price too. I have the 240 variant of it myself for about a month now and no issues at all - quiet, keeps the CPU cool and is tidy to install (single cable to connect the fans/pump is a nice touch). Although a lot of people dismissed it because of the lack of RGB and think the mini VRM fan would be noisy - it isn't at all, plus you don't need yet another piece of software running to control it as it is all done via the standard motherboard PWM fan signal directly.
V1 and V2 of the cooler are a bit of a pain to install on the AMD platforms but really only needs a temporary bit of tape or another hand from someone while you get a couple of screws in - but that has been resolved in V3 of the unit with a new mounting mechanism, saying that even a month back when I bought mine it was still only revision 2 in circulation at retailers.

Haha, indeed.

10 year warranty isn't any good if it takes out all your components when it dies

10 year warranty isn't any good if it takes out all your components when it dies

Yeah you're right. I've never once had a PSU die on me though, so long may that continue. Haha.

I've said it now haven't I!

I've had 2 PSU fail, one big time with lots of smoke and both were Antec.

Luckily neither of them did any damage to other components.

On the looking for 6 RGB fans, currently looking at the corsair LL series, where I'll presumably need a controller too. Does anyone have experience of these?

Come to think of it, 200 on 6 fans with a controller seems excessive. I think 100-150 is a little more in my league - any recommendations?

Edit, it's a tad over 180 for 6 of the fans plus the controller buying each item separately taking off the free next day delivery of a fiver + 6% discount

Edit:

Opted for 2 x Cooler Master MasterFan MF120 Halo 3-in-1 kits at £76 delivered!

Last edited:
On the looking for 6 RGB fans, currently looking at the corsair LL series, where I'll presumably need a controller too. Does anyone have experience of these?

Come to think of it, 200 on 6 fans with a controller seems excessive. I think 100-150 is a little more in my league - any recommendations?

Edit, it's a tad over 180 for 6 of the fans plus the controller buying each item separately taking off the free next day delivery of a fiver + 6% discount

Edit:

Opted for 2 x Cooler Master MasterFan MF120 Halo 3-in-1 kits at £76 delivered!
I know this may be a little late but the 3 pack LL120’s include the lighting nodes in the box. Curry’s currently have them for £76 for the 3 pack.

I know this may be a little late but the 3 pack LL120’s include the lighting nodes in the box. Curry’s currently have them for £76 for the 3 pack.

Thanks! Yeah I looked at those ones, it was 2 of those plus the controller which came to around 180. It was a little to extortionate for 6 Fans and a controller. Nearly the cost of the motherboard!

Thanks! Yeah I looked at those ones, it was 2 of those plus the controller which came to around 180. It was a little to extortionate for 6 Fans and a controller. Nearly the cost of the motherboard!
The controller is included with them. Trust me I have 6 of them in my rig.

The controller is included with them. Trust me I have 6 of them in my rig.

The commander pro? Do you not need that?

Thanks!

No you don’t. They come with the Lighting Node Pro which is a smaller version of the Commander Pro.

Ah well! Not to worry, I've still saved around 65 getting the coolmaster ones. Hopefully have no issues!

It is on the PSU tier list - rank C - which means at least it has been assessed unlike a lot of other unknown brands. I haven't heard of it personally till now.

As for the AIO - have a look at the AC Liquid 360 - Liquid Freezer II 360 | Multi-Compatible AiO CPU Water Cooler | ARCTIC
Gamers Nexus rated it highly for it's abilities and it is a good price too. I have the 240 variant of it myself for about a month now and no issues at all - quiet, keeps the CPU cool and is tidy to install (single cable to connect the fans/pump is a nice touch). Although a lot of people dismissed it because of the lack of RGB and think the mini VRM fan would be noisy - it isn't at all, plus you don't need yet another piece of software running to control it as it is all done via the standard motherboard PWM fan signal directly.
V1 and V2 of the cooler are a bit of a pain to install on the AMD platforms but really only needs a temporary bit of tape or another hand from someone while you get a couple of screws in - but that has been resolved in V3 of the unit with a new mounting mechanism, saying that even a month back when I bought mine it was still only revision 2 in circulation at retailers.

I've just received the 360mm CPU cooler as recommended. Not sure which revision it is though!

Thinking I'll have 3 fans at the bottom blowing cold air in, AIO at the top blowing out (Higher CPU temps granted). But lower GPU temps

The the ones at the side also blowing in? Not sure! So many recommendations for it.

I've just received the 360mm CPU cooler as recommended. Not sure which revision it is though!

Thinking I'll have 3 fans at the bottom blowing cold air in, AIO at the top blowing out (Higher CPU temps granted). But lower GPU temps

The the ones at the side also blowing in? Not sure! So many recommendations for it.

Revision was printed on the box label on mine - on the back IIRC.
The only change is the mounting mechanism I believe from v2 to v3. V1 had a slightly different wiring for the VRM fan on the CPU block connector making it more difficult to unplug or was soldered or something.

I found my case largely dictated my rad location - at the front I can have push/pull fans. Up the top it would barely clear the motherboard (plus looks ugly IMO with all the pipes hanging everywhere!)

You want whatever you choose to have the tank end of the rad higher than the pump/CPU block so that any surplus air in the circuit goes to there. Gamers Nexus did a whole piece on pump noise and longevity recently on different rad mounting points which is a worth a look.
I opted for front mount, pipes at the bottom with rad tank mounted higher than the CPU block.
The warm air from the CPU rad outputting into the case will largely be pulled to the top of the case by any top mount/back mount fans rather than down towards the GPU, if that makes sense?
If your GPU is mounted traditionally then it will pull air from below it mostly - I put a bottom mounted fan down there to aid that a little but technically that in turn is pulling from the PSU area, while the PSU is very much self-contained pulling from case bottom.
The temps when I used to have a dual loop and full monitoring throughout the difference was within a few degrees once everything is up to temp through benchmarking - it was just not worth worrying about unless you are right on the edge of being in tolerance. Go with what looks best

Have a look at the following - may help your choices as it depends on what type of cooler you are rocking on your GPU

Last edited:
Revision was printed on the box label on mine - on the back IIRC.
The only change is the mounting mechanism I believe from v2 to v3. V1 had a slightly different wiring for the VRM fan on the CPU block connector making it more difficult to unplug or was soldered or something.

I found my case largely dictated my rad location - at the front I can have push/pull fans. Up the top it would barely clear the motherboard (plus looks ugly IMO with all the pipes hanging everywhere!)

You want whatever you choose to have the tank end of the rad higher than the pump/CPU block so that any surplus air in the circuit goes to there. Gamers Nexus did a whole piece on pump noise and longevity recently on different rad mounting points which is a worth a look.
I opted for front mount, pipes at the bottom with rad tank mounted higher than the CPU block.
The warm air from the CPU rad outputting into the case will largely be pulled to the top of the case by any top mount/back mount fans rather than down towards the GPU, if that makes sense?
If your GPU is mounted traditionally then it will pull air from below it mostly - I put a bottom mounted fan down there to aid that a little but technically that in turn is pulling from the PSU area, while the PSU is very much self-contained pulling from case bottom.
The temps when I used to have a dual loop and full monitoring throughout the difference was within a few degrees once everything is up to temp through benchmarking - it was just not worth worrying about unless you are right on the edge of being in tolerance. Go with what looks best

Have a look at the following - may help your choices as it depends on what type of cooler you are rocking on your GPU

It's Rev 2, just seen the bit of text above the barcode. Shouldn't be an issue, I think I can use the same mounts that comes on the mobo.

Might be easier to mount before putting it in the case! Ha.

Well it is finally finished. Other than the fans sounding extremely loud... It's great.

20201119_215432.jpg
20201119_215432.jpg

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom