New gaming rig advice

mambo1888

Awright guys, been a long time away from the pc gaming due to work but ack home for a bit so I have decided to build a monster:devil:

I was trying to buy the following from ebuyer before the Monday delivery cut off time but missed t, so thought d see if you guys would recommend changing any parts

Crucial 512GB M4 SSD - 2.5" SATA-III - Read.. | Ebuyer.com

Gigabyte GTX 680 OC Windforce X3 2GB GDDR5 Dual DVI.. | Ebuyer.com

Intel Super Power Bundle with Asus P9X79 PRO.. | Ebuyer.com

I want to build something super fast, I still ave the set up listed In my sig but unfortunately the mobo fried and scan refused my warranty. So whatwouduouguysreccomend.....

1. 500+ gb ssd
2. Graphics card
3. I7 CPU
4. Mobo
5. Ram

Will my current psu be powerfull enough, and any other recommendations,cheers guys:smashin:

boltlock

Distinguished Member
All looks well to me mate, that system should fly!!! :smashin: 750w psu is perfectly adequate for what you have there so no need to upgrade that.

mambo1888

All looks well to me mate, that system should fly!!! :smashin: 750w psu is perfectly adequate for what you have there so no need to upgrade that.

Cheers mate, wasn't sure wether to go for another gtx 570 in sli or get a 680, but I thought if I went sli I'd need to upgrade psu, I will probably have about 4 other hdds but think it should be fine.

boltlock

Distinguished Member
Cheers mate, wasn't sure wether to go for another gtx 570 in sli or get a 680, but I thought if I went sli I'd need to upgrade psu, I will probably have about 4 other hdds but think it should be fine.

No offence to anyone who has a 570, but if you're going sli then you may as well just get another 680 down the line. PSU may still be ok but I'm of the mindset where I had to have a 1500w to cover any situations that may have arisen. Obviously I'm not suggesting you should do the same (unless you want to of course lol). ;)

mambo1888

So u think a 680 is the best card to go for?

Can the 680 bitstream hd audio, I know my 570 can't?

mambo1888

boltlock

Distinguished Member
So u think a 680 is the best card to go for?

Can the 680 bitstream hd audio, I know my 570 can't?

Sorry I don't have one myself so cannot really answer that, but I'm sure someone on here should be able to help you out. As a pure games machine, I still feel the upgrade would be worth it though.

mambo1888

mambo1888

Houghsx

Distinguished Member
mambo1888 said:
Yeah gaming and watching 3d blu ray (if it's better tan my ps3 for 3d blu ray)

Obviously up to you but consider the i5 3570k as the only difference is the i7 and HT which is wasted on games. Save a load of cash as well to buy something else :)
256gb seems to be a sweet spot for ssd in terms of price. I have a samsung 256gb with loads of space. All my storage needs are on a Hdd.

Last edited:

boltlock

Distinguished Member
Just been looking at this bundle but Id rather not give scan any more of my hard earned cash!

3XS - 3XS SLIK - Intel Core i7 3960X - Overclocked to 4.6GHz! - Updated June 2012

Added the Evga 680 sc and there wasn't much of a jump in price compared to the cost of what listed in my first post.

Any thoughts on this bundle?

If it was me buying, then without hesitation I would go for the Scan bundle but buy the components separately. If you feel confident enough to put it together that would be the best route, but the bundle takes out some of the more riskier procedures. Bear in mind your case will need the space to fit the rad unless you're going for an air cooler.

mambo1888

Sorry I don't have one myself so cannot really answer that, but I'm sure someone on here should be able to help you out. As a pure games machine, I still feel the upgrade would be worth it though.

If I remember correctly it was only the 460, 560 and I presume the 660 that can bitstream hd audio, will probably get a nice sound card anyway that can provide me with top sound to go with the 680:)

boltlock

Distinguished Member
If I remember correctly it was only the 460, 560 and I presume the 660 that can bitstream hd audio, will probably get a nice sound card anyway that can provide me with top sound to go with the 680:)

That's what most of the guys on here seem to do anyway but as I've only got a Logitech 2.1 setup, the onboard sound is fine for me. :smashin:

Re the SSD, whilst 256GB may be favoured by most, I went for the 512GB Sammy just because I like having all my mostly used software on my main drive plus I've only got 159GB free.

mambo1888

Obviously up to you but consider the i5 3570k as the only difference is the i7 and HT which is wasted on games. Save a load of cash as well to buy something else :)
256gb seems to be a sweet spot for ssd in terms of price. I have a samsung 256gb with loads of space. All my storage needs are on a Hdd.

May look at 256gb ssd, but I know if I go i5 I will always be thinking I should ave got an i7 lol

If I did save a load f cash what would you recommend spending it on gr optimal gaming performance?

If it was me buying, then without hesitation I would go for the Scan bundle but buy the components separately. If you feel confident enough to put it together that would be the best route, but the bundle takes out some of the more riskier procedures. Bear in mind your case will need the space to fit the rad unless you're going for an air cooler.

Ive built one pc before so I'm used to putting them together. I don't think my case has space for the rad so would need a new case too, so the price would go up slightly more,

Houghsx

Distinguished Member
Well gaming wise you haven't got much to play with. The i5/i7 is more than enough so the only real gains to be had is with the GPU but as your getting a 680 your getting the best already IMO, unless you go SLI.
What about a nice new case? Or a decent cooler for the CPU? Or a dedicated sound card for your blu ray films?

mambo1888

Well gaming wise you haven't got much to play with. The i5/i7 is more than enough so the only real gains to be had is with the GPU but as your getting a 680 your getting the best already IMO, unless you go SLI.
What about a nice new case? Or a decent cooler for the CPU? Or a dedicated sound card for your blu ray films?

I would likea decent sound card, will maybe go for a new case too,

Hillskill

Moderator/Games Reviewer
If your going for X79 then as long as you get a 3930k up you are all good on the CPU front. You will then have all then PCIe awesomeness that comes with X79 so you can SLI a pair of 680s. I wouldn't bother with a high capacity SSD. Instead I would get 4 x 256GB ones and create 2 RAID0 arrays. One for OS and the other for games. Will be lightning quick on benchmarks. Max out the RAM too and maybe use half capacity to create a RAM disk. Then get either a Dell 30" or a Hazro 30" display.

Sniper Ash6

Distinguished Member
Awright guys, been a long time away from the pc gaming due to work but ack home for a bit so I have decided to build a monster:devil:

I was trying to buy the following from ebuyer before the Monday delivery cut off time but missed t, so thought d see if you guys would recommend changing any parts

Crucial 512GB M4 SSD - 2.5" SATA-III - Read.. | Ebuyer.com

Gigabyte GTX 680 OC Windforce X3 2GB GDDR5 Dual DVI.. | Ebuyer.com

Intel Super Power Bundle with Asus P9X79 PRO.. | Ebuyer.com

I want to build something super fast, I still ave the set up listed In my sig but unfortunately the mobo fried and scan refused my warranty. So whatwouduouguysreccomend.....

1. 500+ gb ssd
2. Graphics card
3. I7 CPU
4. Mobo
5. Ram

Will my current psu be powerfull enough, and any other recommendations,cheers guys:smashin:
:hiya: Hiya mate, nice to see you back around. It has indeed been a while.

Will take a better look at this tomorrow and post my thoughts :)

namuk

Distinguished Member
long time mambo :thumbsup: nice build :cool:
remember if you go down to i5 3570k ivy you need to consider a really good cooler like the H100 minimum as they run hot due to the cpu has tim inside the cpu over Solder, just google reviews/test there is plenty also look past the ones who say cool as there not benched for that long or correct :) seen temps first hand as well.

here is my 980x at 4GHZ in BF3, it levels out to around 10 threads and around 27% loud temps your lucky to hit mid 40's using a H80 with Shrouds

bf3taskmanger.jpg

680 is easy enough but if you are thinking more screens go 690 in fact just get a 690 job done:D, BF3 is about the most stressful game for a cpu out at the moment as well also the chrome engine as well as others.

256gb SSD is the minimum if you want max SSD speeds but if you can afford it go 5##gb at currant prices i would of gone this size, they have dropped allot in the last month:(:cool:,
also do not skimp on a psu the Seasonic Platinum's are nice there 1000w this one http://www.kitguru.net/components/p...c-platinum-1000w-modular-power-supply-review/

also forgot your sound card it not bad keep that for now :)

Last edited:

Sniper Ash6

Distinguished Member
long time mambo :thumbsup: nice build :cool:
remember if you go down to i5 3570k ivy you need to consider a really good cooler like the H100 minimum as they run hot due to the cpu has tim inside the cpu over Solder, just google reviews/test there is plenty also look past the ones who say cool as there not benched for that long or correct :) seen temps first hand as well.

Bit of an exaggeration there

mambo1888

How's it going guys, cheers for te replys:thumbsup:

I'm gonna be gaming mainly on my projector (jvc x70, 90" screen,mthrough my onkyo 818 avr) Possibly some 3d gaming too. but unlikely to be using multiple monitors.

A 690 would be very nice indeed lol, Shame about the hefty price tag.

Going to do a bit more research this morning, there seems to be a lot of people who say that i5 is just as good if not better than i7 for gaming:confused:

boltlock

Distinguished Member
Going to do a bit more research this morning, there seems to be a lot of people who say that i5 is just as good if not better than i7 for gaming:confused:

With all due respect, why have sausages when you can have steak? ;) :D

If money isn't the issue here, why not treat yourself to the best components is all I'm getting at lol.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

JVC adds Filmmaker Mode to latest D-ILA projector firmware
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Bowers & Wilkins launches Px8 headphone
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Sky set to launch its plug-and-play Sky Stream solution
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Movies Podcast: 26th September 2022