1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NEW Gameboy Dual Screen !!

Discussion in 'General Video Gaming Chat' started by micksowner, Jan 21, 2004.

1. micksowner

micksowner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nintendo has announced the launch of a double-screened handheld gaming gadget, codenamed Nintendo DS.
    Nintendo said it would give gamers "a unique entertainment experience for the 21st century."

The three-inch screens are held in the palm and are supposed to give players two different views of a game.

It is due to hit the global gaming world by Christmas 2004, and more details are expected at May's Electronic Entertainment Expo (E3).

"We have developed Nintendo DS based upon a completely different concept from existing game devices," said Satoru Iwata, Nintendo president.

As such, it is not meant to be a successor to its highly successful GameBoy Advance, which already dominates the handheld gaming market.

There are no pictures of the device yet, but the gaming gadget is expected to be demonstrated at E3 in Los Angeles.

The GameBoy Advance dominates the handheld market
    It will have separate processors and up to 1Gb of memory.

The TFT LCD screens on the temporarily named Nintendo DS are about the same size as the GBA displays and can be held separately. They are designed to allow players to focus on different characters or parts of the game.

By keeping an eye on each screen, gamers will be able to play without interruption when they wish to change what they want to see.

In a fighting game, for instance, players can shift from what the character is doing on one screen to a map of the environment on the other.

Nintendo will develop game titles for its new gadget, but it is also in discussions with third party game developers around the world.

[source bbc.co.uk]

:clap: it just gets better! can't wait!

2. Miyazaki

Miyazaki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +849
    I still don't see the point of two screens?

Seems to me like all it'll do is cut in half the battery length.

3. betamac

betamac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Here's some promosing quotes from some of the big guns in the developing world

Atlus' Okada
    "With 2 screens and 2 CPUs, I feel we can start to create new game concepts. Whether we can turn these new ideas into reality is the key for the industry."

Koei's Shibuzawa
    "I think we can make an interesting game with one screen for the large-scale battle with the other screen focusing on a local battle, in historical strategy games, and so on."

Camelot's Hiroyuki Takahashi
    "In a game industry that is feeling more and more penned in, this should create a few openings."

Camelot's Shugo Takahashi
    "It looks like we can make new things that have been impossible until now. It's exciting hardware for both game-makers and players. I'm definitely going to E3!"

Namco's Yoshizumi
    "When I first heard it would have 2 screens, I thought it was a Game & Watch remake, but on further inspection I found it is different. I'm excited by it, and I also have an overwhelming feeling. I think the hardware will be very good at creating intense feelings"

Masahiro Sakurai
    "It has become a constant point of discussion when we creators meet for drinks."

Banpresto's Terada
    Because the handheld market is so important for the "Super Robot Wars" series, we are thinking of ways to put something out as soon as possible. Being released with the PSP, I want this to stir up the handheld industry."

Sonic Team's Yuji Naka
    "We've been waiting for this! We'll be sure to try out something new with this, and release something for the launch!"

Amusement Vision's Nagoshi
    "The first time I saw it, I thought "?", then when reading the specs, that turned into "!" This is a machine that will stimulate both the users' and the creators' desire to play games. It should allow the birth of a whole host of new ideas and play experiences that haven't existed before."

Chunsoft's Nakamura
    "It looks like this may resolve all the hardship we have had until now in one swift blow. The roots of gaming are returning and it looks like they will put up a good fight"

Tetsuya Mizuguchi
    "Having two separately functioning screens suits the time perfectly - with users becoming increasingly multi-tasking. I'll be keeping my eye on it