New Game+ The legitimate cheat?

Lostsoul 301281

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm currently playing Dead Space 2, after finishing DS1 on impossible this morning.
I'd played DS2 a couple of times before, but it's been a while.

Anyway, I loaded up a New Game+ with the knowledge that I'd have my weapons, equipment and upgrades from any previous play throughs.
I'm not sure if my starting inventory was a result of a previous DS2 play through or something to do with DS1 as it looked very similar to how that game ended.

My point is, and this is in no way a complaint, does it seem as though games are getting easier in some respects, what with these NG+ modes that allow you to carry over everything from a previous play through, and use them on a higher difficulty.
Because, getting back to DS2 which I'm playing on zealot, I'm not finding things too difficult as I have a lot of ammo, all weapons upgraded and tones of cash.
Meaning anything I pick up during this play through is just topping up the huge stash I already have, without me really eating into it due to fully upgraded weapons.

Personally I'm a little ambivalent too the situation.
On one hand I like how I can almost breeze though as though I'm on a lower difficulty and still enjoy the game, but there is a small part of me that is missing a little of the challenge I felt from the original games impossible mode, even though it was rather frustrating at times.

What are peoples thoughts on New Game+ modes in games?
Do you love or hate them?
Are they something you'd like to see in more games, or would you rather start higher difficulties with nothing and build it all up again?

i like new game+ i don't see it as a cheat, if the enemies are more powered up on harder difficulties then it's only fair to give people some sort of chance, some games don't have new game+ like COD for example, some games need new game + imo but not all of them, i think games which can be done on higher difficulties via chapter select i would say no, but on a game where u need to play the whole campaign through again i think is fair to have new game+

plus u have all upgrades, etc collected and it's not fair to just take them away after gaining them all.

dead space 2 on the hardest difficulty allows only 3 saves in the campaign so i think that game makes sense to have new game+ imo.

It's designed into the game - how can that be a cheat....?

If you think it devalues the hard option, surely you just play it as a new start not an NG+

Just looking for people's opinions.

I've played a few games with this kind of feature and some have felt like a breeze on the higher difficulties while others make me wonder how it would even be possible to play those higher difficulties without the NG+ option.

I take back what I said about DS2.
I'm reaching the end and it's becoming a worse experience on zealot than DS1 was on impossible.
Maybe it's down to perspective due to having all my upgrades.

I haven't played too many NG+ to be honest. Usually, I don't want to embark on another playthrough immediately after playing through on normal, and the pile-of-shame is usually too large to mean I ever get around to coming back to it.

I had rather assumed though that the developer would have scaled the difficulty accordingly, knowing that you'd would be starting the game with much more powerful kit, a stash of money, loads of ammo etc. Surely that's bad design, if it isn't scaled accordingly, rather than a problem with the concept itself?

I'm midway through a DS2 playthrough on Normal and had been toying with the idea of an NG+ playthrough on Zealot, if only to give me a chance to get 2-3 achievements that need you to max out weapons and rig which I may not have by the end of the first game. Not sure I'll bother now.

And I certainly won't even contemplate a Hardcore playthrough with just 3 saves! I'd go absolutely mental if I got killed and had to replay 3-4 hours worth of gaming, especially given that I don't get more than an hour or so in one evening and so logistically it would be difficult anyway.

Even though you start with everything, your difficulty curve will still go up. As you approach the end of the game, you'll be in a similar position with the amount of upgrades/equipment you had in your first playthrough at that stage, yet the enemies will be more difficult to kill.

Go play Dark Souls if you want a challenge was hoping JP would pick it up as id like to see him 1k it

Go play Dark Souls if you want a challenge was hoping JP would pick it up as id like to see him 1k it

it's not about a challenge, i im just not into RPG's like that, the only types i like are fallout 3, fable 2/3, and borderlands.

it's not about a challenge, i im just not into RPG's like that, the only types i like are fallout 3, fable 2/3, and borderlands.

Its not your usual RPG to be honest mate well worth a spot on your rental list my old padawan:thumbsup:

Its not your usual RPG to be honest mate well worth a spot on your rental list my old padawan:thumbsup:

i wouldn't rent a game like that as it takes too long, i'll probably buy a cheap copy once i get past titles this year like borderlands.

quite a few have completed it on T.A. 1593 have done it.

I like NG+. In some games you have skill trees and power ups and in a regular play through you can't max your character out, so NG+ gives you a chance to do that.

i wouldn't rent a game like that as it takes too long, i'll probably buy a cheap copy once i get past titles this year like borderlands.

quite a few have completed it on T.A. 1593 have done it.

Whatever floats your boat mate cartoon network then FTW:D

Its my daughters.
Is there a power rangers game that you need to play:hiya:

and that's why she plays it on your profile and not one u could have created for her.... :rolleyes:

anyway, nothing wrong with playing easier games considering some of the hard games i have managed to complete.

I like New Game+, because it means you get to use the powers/abilities/special moves/upgrades etc. right from the start.

If I've already invested X hours to complete a single player campaign and now know the plot, I like the fact I can go back in and just have fun being super powered, like The Darkness II for example.

I like New Game+, because it means you get to use the powers/abilities/special moves/upgrades etc. right from the start.

If I've already invested X hours to complete a single player campaign and now know the plot, I like the fact I can go back in and just have fun being super powered, like The Darkness II for example.

that's exactly the point i was making, i just completed the amazing spider-man and on my easy playthrough to get all collectables i found out that they never carried over so i had to do a new game on hard and get the upgrades again, only the collectables comics, etc carried over but no upgrades which makes no sense.

new game+ should be in all games that require multiple playthroughs.

In some ways I'd have liked to have seen NG+ in Borderlands, rather than just two playthroughs for a single character.

Oh, I take back what I said about DS2 and its NG+.
Turns out it get stupid in the last few chapters on zealot, even with all your upgrades.

Lostsoul 301281 said:
In some ways I'd have liked to have seen NG+ in Borderlands, rather than just two playthroughs for a single character.
It's been a fair while since I've played it, how is it different?

AdsterUK said:
It's been a fair while since I've played it, how is it different?

In Borderlands you only get two playthroughs with a single character.
Playthrough 2 allows you to go through the story again with your character at the level it was when you finished your first play.
All enemies will be levelled up according to your level.

Once you've completed play through 2, that's it.
You can't play the story again with the same character/save file. You have to start a new game with a new character/save in order to play the story again.

Lurking Lawyer said:
Sounds pretty much like NG+ to me......

NG+ allows you to play over and over with the same character, essentially letting you get to the point of maxing out your skills and still bring able to play.
Mass Effect, TFU2, Enslaved(though not necessarily NG+), and DS2 allow you unlimited play throughs while retaining all skills from previous ones, whether you decide raise or lower the difficulty.

Borderlands only allows two plays with the same character and skills.
Your second play through being slightly more difficult.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom