New Fx Card Needed!!

P

PLASTICTAFF

Hi ppl,
I'm after a RADEON 9800 XT(unless i get advised otherwise!!!)
Where's the best place you lot have experince from.
(i really mean cheapest but didn't want to say it :) )
I'd rather get it from a store as apposed to Ebay or similar just for after sales incase there are any incompatability issues.
Thanks in advance.

Joe Pineapples

Distinguished Member
what would be the better card for gaming between a geforce 4 mx 440 or a radeon 9200se

both those cards would be absoulutely useless at running all but the very old games - dont waste your money.

Dean

Matt Horne

Why a 9800XT.. theres very little performance difference between it and the 9800 Pro... but as you can get the pro for about £160 why waste the extra £100 ??

Matt

been playing call of duty and ahem the first few levels of half life 2 and graphics seem pretty sweet no complaints with either what you have??

P

PLASTICTAFF

Originally posted by Matt Horne
Why a 9800XT.. theres very little performance difference between it and the 9800 Pro... but as you can get the pro for about £160 why waste the extra £100 ??

Matt
Well thats just it i was throwing it to the floor to see hwat you all say.
If a 9800 Pro can give just as good as performance then i'll get it.
If an nvidia 5950 ultra or a 5700 256mb is just as good then i'll go there.
Just wanted to know what cards people are running and what they think is the all round best card for your buck.
I couldn't really give a monkeys if one has 2 extra frames per second for an extra £100.
I just want to know i can play anything i throw at it at full res settings and it will laugh at the ease of it all and still have the time to make me a cup of tea.

Joe Pineapples

Distinguished Member
PLASTICTAFF

if you want to see some real figures between the current cards, this should give you a an idea - a whole bunch of cards tested with some fairly/very recent games.

Dean

Matt Horne

I have a 9600XT Fireblade.. works fine with everything I have thrown at it so far.. but the 9800pro are so cheap you might as well go the extra 30/40 quid :)

Also I have heard mention of being able to reflash or update the 9800pro to XT ... but I donot know if thats certain versions of the 9800pro ?

Matt

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: REL T9/X Subwoofer + Bowers & Wilkins PI7 Reviews, AV Shows in a Pandemic and more
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom