Answered New Full Home System (Security - Heating - Garden - Lighting - Entertainment)

Discussion in 'Smart Home, Climate Control & Security Forum' started by vanq69, Jul 15, 2018.

1. vanq69

vanq69
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    New Full Home System (Security - Heating - Garden - Lighting - Entertainment)
    Hi all,

I'm looking for some guidance and help please. I'm wanting to do a whole system of automation within the house over probably 3 or 4 stages as we work round re-doing the house.

Firstly I'm looking for the Security and Garden section

Security

Ideal Requirements:

- identify someone by facial or geo and then open an electronic driveway gate (10ft) or possibly a pedestrian gate (presume for the smaller size could use a smart lock?)

- video doorbell which then unlocks smart door lock (again with geo ideally so don't need to unlock myself)

- security light and camera (something like Netamo?) but if this could be used to do the IQ part of the video doorbell unlocking with IFTTT (can be wired in)

- 2 x additional security camera (ideally POE as got network cables already there only)

- controlled into an alarm system. Already have one in the house with sensors so would be good to reuse those. It's a Visonic modern system but not smart enabled.

- not concerned by internal cameras, but would be useful to potentially have ability later on if something like amazon key comes to the UK

Garden

- smart sprinker system (Gardena or Green IQ was considering)
    needs to be able to control/run 3-4 systems off 3 different taps (A - 4 x pop up sprinkers / B - large drip irrigation system possibly needs to be split in 2 / C - 1 seep system of 1 tap / D - small drip irrigation system)

- smart mower which communicates in this system (doesn't mow then sprinkling)

Lighting

Existing wired lighting system so looking to replace at the switch level rather than bulbs. Have a complicated 8-gang switch in the main lounge though happy to have 2 x 4 controls.

Would like ability to do mood lighting with various zones etc.

Ability to have a few smart bulbs within the set up would be useful.

Heating

Smart heating control - have a underfloor heating system already with an Air Source heat pump, already extensively zoned. 3 main thermostats control the main zone areas of the open plan of the house. There are then the bedrooms and bathrooms. Would be quite happy for those to be not smart if that's possible and helps keep cost down.
    The current ones don't seem to learn the house very well (non-smart) as we have a large amount of south facing glass so the temperature in winter is very variable with a slow action system seems inefficient.

Cooling - going to be adding an airconditioner to the south facing bedroom only - again be useful for this to be automated if possible.

Entertainment & Other

I have a nvidia shield (hardwired to the PC), LG OLED, Corsair One PC and Sonos soundbar. Google WiFi (2 bases) though have to also use BT Homehub to do the internet only with BT TV unable to worth through Google/CISCO only unfortunately, CISCO switch. Have also got a QNAP server but not used it much since nvidia shield.

I'm not sure what other sound / entertainment options would be useful to include - things like autoplaying music upon arrival, buttons/smart options for selected playlists or option when selecting movie to the set the lighting moods.

Automating blinds would be helpful but not essential.

-------------------------------------------

Hopefully that helps give an overall idea and be happy to give any more information as I work through them. Have done a lot of research but struggling on the security elements and then what's best with the others. I'd think IFTTT could do a lot of the taking between systems but also happy to be Apple Homekit based but not much experience with it. Or other systems if they'd be better.

Thanks!

2. Best Answer:
    Post #7 by vanq69, Jul 16, 2018 (1 points)
  3. mushii

mushii

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,205
    Security, IMHO should always be a stand-alone system. HA is still in its relative infancy and many products and systems are still immature and relatively insecure. Integrating a Security system into this kind of network is only asking for trouble.
    Everything else is fine to play, but security is security. My Honeywell Alarm and Hikvision Cameras are standalone systems and do not interact with any of my other my Home Automation / Entertainment.That isnt to say that they dont have some additional functionality, but to arm my alarm you either need a 6 digit pin or an RFID Tag. yes my Cameras have an App but all that you can do is view them outside of my home network.

Other members will have differing opinions, but that is my advice on security.

4. Chester

Chester

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +739
    I have a similar but stronger opinion, and that's to ensure that all of your HA individual components (heating, lighting, etc) work independently, and then bring the show together with a control layer if needs be. Be honest with yourself; if it's true automation you're after then integration doesn't really give you very much in the world of set and forget, so I just leave these systems independent.

5. sxpert

sxpert
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    For a new build, I would use a wired bus based system throughout. avoid wireless (zigbee and al). Also, for system longevity sake, avoid anything cloud based

6. vanq69

vanq69
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thank you. It's a newly built property but not one I'm building myself so a little more limited cabling wise unfortunately as in general agree sxpert about use of wired over wireless.

Chester - control layer is likely what I'm after, using an IFTTT or Homekit. Its so 1 system can talk with another.

7. HurdyGurdy

HurdyGurdy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Seconded - you could also look at the risco lightsys2 system which has a raft of indoor and outdoor camera options and IP/GSM communication options. It's standalone but with android/IOS apps.For monitored security, i don't want any of the cheap chinese knock offs coming near my house.

8. vanq69

vanq69
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Best Answer
    Do any of these systems have the ability to do facial recognition and then make that open a gate and unlock a door?

Or combining a camera with facial recognition to then use IFTTT to achieve that result.

9. mushii

mushii

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,205
    If you want that level of facial recognition as part of security integration you better have some very deep pockets. If it is just for the 'show off' factor to show your mates there are cheaper solutions for a couple of grand. If it really is for secure access then you are into high end territory that is beyond normal Home Automation.

I can point you to

https://www.hikvision.com/mtsc/uplo...vision_Facial_Recognition_(Oceania)(1)(1).pdf

I would suggest that you reach out to a Hik Pro installer and be prepared to open your cheque book as the camera alone is about £4k without any other hardware and the NVR is about £3k, then you will need some additional hardware, configuration and setup. You are probably going to be £10k by the time your are finished.

Would be far cheaper to use RFID tag access or key code

10. vanq69

vanq69
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Was more for the ease factor than either of those. Ie come home and don't need to carry keys etc, or be able to add the neighbour etc.

More thinking around a Nest IQ sort of level, at least for the gate. Then more of a phone/geo based solution for personal use with the door lock with a video door bell for others.

11. mushii

mushii

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,205
    Honestly FR that is secure is still high end security and costs the earth. I think that what you want with that level of convenience is still a few years away yet. The closest that you may come is using bluetooth on your phone, but even then it will mean getting your phone out of your pocket and presenting it to smart locks.

12. mushii

mushii

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,205
    We use some long range RFID readers at work for some of our more secure areas, which will grant access as you approach doors or if you are in a work area. But that was a £10k plus solution for 2 or 3 doors

13. mushii

mushii

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,205
    As an aside from the security aspects have you looked at something like HomeSeer to provide the control layer (if you want a DIY solution). Or if you are a Mac guy you could look at Indigo. i think without some sort of budget in mind its hard to give you a solid steer on what would work for you.
    I am currently looking at both Homeseer and Indigo as my control layer as I don't want the expense of a third party installed / managed solution like Control 4 but I do want local and not cloud control.

14. James0612

James0612
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The devices you find around the average home are some of the unique gadgets invented and are the most popular home gadgets that people add to the collection of home technology. The risco lightsys2 system also can be named as a home gadget and it is gaining in popularity. It's a good choice

15. chitchopper

chitchopper
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Get the Lenovo Smart Display. Helps automate almost my whole house. The built in screen just adds so much more feature than any other home devices like Google Home or Alexa. Video calls, videos, etc. I control everything at home using the display as the main console. It's integrated with Google Assistant already, since both parties worked together.

If you're looking to automate your home in the most effective way, the Lenovo Smart Display is just the best device out there you can buy.