New Full HD TV needed

Mrs AMH

Novice Member
Hi, this will be a bit long so I can try to cover any questions you might have, sorry.

After the toddler breaking our old Samsung 40 inch and having to wait months to go through insurance (in my husband's name and he was away), we finally sorted it out and because of the amount he said he paid 5 years ago we ended up having to buy from Argos with an insurance replacement gift card and top up the extra ourselves as I didn't trust their "£299 Phillips replacement".

I checked these forums a lot in the meantime and we paid a bit more than we wanted to to get the Sony KDL-43W755c. Great - except they included the wrong power cable/ac adaptor. Lots of phone calls and emails later and we eventually got both parts needed but the TV does not power up at all when plugged in. I have plugged directly into the wall (which results in the tv having to sit on the floor as the cables are so short and our new sofa is coming on Friday and cannot be placed elsewhere in the lounge without blocking the room/light) as well as an extension socket and it doesn't work with either.

Being sick of this, I am now just going to take it back. I cannot exchange it for the same one as the only one in stock is an hour away, I do not drive, the husband is away for months again and Argos cannot/will not send it to my local store. I would rather not deal with Sony again after their mishandling of sending out the correct part, so sending back to them isn't an option.

All being well, I will have £440 to spend on a new TV, but only at Argos. Full HD, 40-43 inch as that is all the TV stand will take. We use a PS3, watch Netflix, NowTV and Freeview. I do like to watch sports, mostly rugby, gymnastics and the S&W Olympics. We do not have a satellite dish, just a regular aerial coming in from outside. Mostly SD stuff, but we have lots of Blu-Rays and DH keeps talking about a PS4 ;)
Edit: The tv will be angled slightly to be visible to all and viewing distances are from about 2m - 3.5m, with the larger ones being the angled ones. Husband does not want a curved set.

Before having to go with Argos, I had looked at the Samsung K5500, is this a decent option? These are all I have to choose from: Buy £200 to £500 Full HD (1080p) Televisions at Argos.co.uk - Your Online Shop for Technology.

If you got this far, thank you.

Last edited:

Dodgexander

Unfortunately PQ wise the Sony W755C will be hard to beat with modern TVs. 2015 was the last year they made higher quality FHD models, 2016 and so far 2017 equivalents all seem to come with lower hz panels usually resulting in no better than average motion performance. Most TVs that fair better with motion also tend to use 60hz panels but have inferior contrast.

With the Samsung K5500 you should be getting a 60hz VA panel with high contrast, so its about as good as you can get now from a FHD TV today.

This is a bummer really, because getting a similar priced UHD TV isn't an upgrade for most people, especially at smaller sizes with limited content available. The main reason will be SD broadcasts looking so poor vs a FHD one.

Taking away all the complications I think you will be happy with the K5500, most people will be and likely its only those who are pedantic with motion who might not be.

If you are in doubt, you might find going and viewing some in a store helpful, you can't really judge contrast in a showroom but you might get a glimpse of whether you find the motion acceptable on TVs with 60hz panels vs 120hz.

Mrs AMH

Novice Member
Thanks Dodgexander. It was your comments mostly that I had read before and what I'd used to convince the husband to get the Sony in the first place. I am so frustrated that it just doesn't want to work and is so awkward to exchange.

We went into a store and viewed some the other week and the motion seemed fine to me. K550 it is then.

Thanks again.

la gran siete

Distinguished Member
Unfortunately PQ wise the Sony W755C will be hard to beat with modern TVs. 2015 was the last year they made higher quality FHD models, 2016 and so far 2017 equivalents all seem to come with lower hz panels usually resulting in no better than average motion performance. Most TVs that fair better with motion also tend to use 60hz panels but have inferior contrast.

what about Sony's new range of FHD tvs?For refresh rate the WE75 has a stated Motionflow 400hz for a "smoother picture".I have no seen any meaningful reviews yet though
Buy Sony Bravia 49WE753 LED HDR Full HD 1080p Smart TV, 49" with Freeview HD & Cable Management, Black | John Lewis

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Which is the best decade for horror movies?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom