1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Fujitsu 42 inch... WOW!

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by the oracle, Mar 11, 2003.

1. the oracle

the oracle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :smashin: Just seen the new panel from Fujitsu, and my mind is now definately made up! Was considering the Panny, but held off after getting some advice from my local dealer, and will be adding this to my ever growing list of debt asap!
    Anyone out there got one? Anything I should know??

2. zAndy1

zAndy1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,482
    Yeah, get some ear plugs! I agree the PQ is very good but the one I saw was very loud, might have been a one off but other reports have said the same. Still you've obviously seen it and haven't been put off by the noise so if you can live with that then PQ wise it takes some beating I admit.

Andy.

3. modeller

modeller
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Based on my observations, the PQ watching Sky is poor. I found the 433HDE more watchable (forgiving).
    I can't comment on DVD performance however.

4. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,779
    Yeah,

If it's the ALIS one with the switching box then go read the 50" fujitsu thread to see why you shouldn't buy one!

Gordon

5. zAndy1

zAndy1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,482
    I presume he's talking about the 42HHA10 display, Sevenoaks seem to be really pushing this display, two branches I've been to definitely seemed to be on the hard sell with the Fujitsu. Don't think it had a switching box though, had RGB , component etc connections on the panel at the back.

Andy

6. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,779
    The model numbers get me with Fujitsu....The SD42" uses Panasonic D4 series glass coupled to their avm processing and different power supply (At least that's what they told me).

I think it is actually MUCH better than the ALIS version that needs the seperate switcher.

Gordon

7. the oracle

the oracle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Apologies for the delay in response. Yeah, it's the 42HHA, 1024x1024 res i'm talking about. Saw it with the Tag DVD32flr running through their PSM module, and the PQ was breathtaking! Did anyone go to the Bristol show?? Saw so many of these panels there, and talking to a few reps i got the impression that this one could not be faulted. If you have not seen it through prog scan yet i seriously recommend it! Also, try the PC input through a QED or JS box... WOW!:smashin:

8. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,779
    Oracle:Sorry to say I went to the Bristol show and they had it running with the off board AVM switcher. It looked poor there and could easily be faulted.....I presume you fed it from the DVI output of the TAG?

Do fujitusu sell this 42" alis thing without the box then? The issues I saw with it look like they are being pinned down to the box of tricks...

Gordon

9. the oracle

the oracle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Wasn't connected with the DVI, as apparrently there are no "quality" suppliers of DVI cables yet?! It was through component i believe. I aggree that it didn't look too good through their box at the show though. Looks much better at Sevenoaks. Must ask them how it's set up.:confused:

10. lumpsucker

lumpsucker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Oracle / Gordon,

Are you not talking about two different models. The P42HHA that Oracle has has all the connectivity in the panel. Only the P42HHS has the seperate selector box with the AVM+ Faroudja 10 bit processor. This connects to the panel by a DVI connector. The only thing that is common between the two is the ALIS glass panel. The ALIS glass on these models are Fujitsu's own whereas on the 50" versions the glass is Panny's. Assuming that the Bristol mock-up and Gordon/Joe's mock-up was using the P42HHS10 and that all accounts are that the PQ was cr*p, and that the PQ of the P42HHA is by all accounts superb, this would tend to point to the deficiencies being in the AVM+ processor. I hope I'm wrong cos I'm waiting for the P50XHS10 which is out soon (as we all know, and I won't bore you with further) and will have of course the AVM+ selector unit. Again there is a chance that if the first versions of the AVM+ box are duff then this could be corrected by the time the P50 hits the shops.

Cheers

Simon

11. ncpl

ncpl
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    7Oakes are indeed pushing the HHA (with ££help££ from Fuji). The Fuji salesman in Bristol confirmed this.

I have had the 42HHA with component board for about 10 days now. PQ is excellent on both DVD (via BNC) and Sky (via JS RGB to component ).
    Even DVD via composite looks OK

It is not the HHS with the external AVM+box. What I saw at Bristol was very poor and is fully inline with Gordon's recent review. My guess is the external box is at fault.

HOWEVER, buyer beware, the fans make a whole lot of noise. They seem to come on as soon as the screen is switched on, irrespective of temperature.

You may not mind a constant background humming/tizzing, especially if you listen to loud material. However, normal TV listening and quiet scenes of movies are spoilt by the noise for me.

I'm still waiting for 7Oakes to get a special remote to see if anything can be done via the engineers service menus. If they can modify fan settings, great. If not, then I will let them have the screen back as it is not acceptable in current form for domestic use in my home.

Rgds
    Nick

12. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,779
    Nick,

All makes sense now! Different devices, same glass.

I'm now pretty sure the issues must be wth the external box.

Gordon

13. steve-j

steve-j
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Having been looking for a plasma for quite some time now (and still not finding one that I am entirely happy with!) I too had a look at the Fujitsu 42HHA in Sevenoaks the other day. Whilst the picture initially looked very good it wasn't long before I noticed a lot of solarisation (colour banding or whatever the correct term is). In particular I was watching the opening of LOTR - the blue New line logo at the start clearly showed this, as well as several other scenes. However I didn't notice any problems when watching the opening of Toy Story 2. Can anyone else confirm or deny the levels of solarisation this screen shows, especially compared to other screens which seem to have all but eliminated the problem these days.

Interestingly, the assistant at Sevenoaks also told me that the screen had no fans in because Panasonic and Pioneer had elimininated them, so Fujistu had had to follow their lead...

-Steve

14. ncpl

ncpl
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Steve J

Was it 7Oakes in Reading ?

If so, who said it has no fans ?

I'd appreciate knowing as all 3 of the guys know my views on the fan noise and they are also getting the engineer's remote to check fan settings. Doesn't add up.

Interesting question about different discs giving different colour effects. I tried Final Fantasy the other night. It has some great sci-fi sunrise shots over the landscape etc.....I thought it looked awesome. However, check out the colour of the blue sky as Buzz lands at the start of TS2.....clear bands of colour but suspect that this is on the disc.....could be wrong though.

Rgds

Nick

15. the oracle

the oracle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nick.
    I too have heard of this remote for the service menu, (see start of thread), and am told it may be the answer. If so, i think i'll buy one as the PQ is outstanding. Know what you mean about the "solarisation" on TS2... have seen it on all the other panels i've demo'd.
    Are you happy with yours apart from the fans?? Have you set it up with the eye, or THX Optimizer??

16. ncpl

ncpl
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Oracle,
    eyes only so far as I am only due to replace my 11m run of BNC's tonight. The first lot that 7Oakes supplied were not shielded well enough for the length req'd. This means proper adjustments are a bit difficult. Hopefully, the image will snap into shape with these new ones as it does with a short 1m run.

Apart from the fans, yes, I am pleased. I set the display "Fine" which really seems to take the brightness and colour down so that skin-tones look very good and realistic. Banners like on SkyNews etc are still most vivid and red.

Let me know if you want any other specifics.

Rgds

Nick

17. the oracle

the oracle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers chicken.:smoke:

18. steve-j

steve-j
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nick,

It was Sevenoakes in Reading, but I don't know any of the people in there by name, so I couldn't tell you who it was who told me about the lack of fans.

It may not be different discs that show up solarisation, just different types of film i.e. computer animation vs live action.

Have you looked for solarisation in live action stuff like LOTR? One shot I saw during the start sequence, I think it was a closeup of Saurons hand with the ring on, the orange/brown background was literally pulsing with bands or colour! It looked terrible!

I think I will go back and have a better look this weekend, although the fan noise will put almost certainly put me off.

-Steve

19. ncpl

ncpl
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    The guys there are Richard (manager), Lewis and Alex. Plus a saturday boy. I'll be there first thing Saturday morning to exchange some faulty BNC cables. :(

Ask them again about the fans. Fuji are of course saying that "no-one else in the world has complained about them, sir"

Apparantly, the standard remote can be mod'd to be the engineers remote. They are waiting for word from Japan on this.
    I'm tempted to measure the sounds levels on mine...before/after

I haven't checked that LOTR scene yet, but, will do when the cables are fixed.

Rgds

Nick

20. steve-j

steve-j
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK, I've been to have another look at the Fujitsu 42HHA and compare it with other plasma screens. In the end I only really got to look at the Pioneer (consumer model) as well, so here's what I saw.

I do think the solorisation is more apparent on the Fujitsu but it's not as bad as I first thought. It doesn't occur that often and it may well be more obvious beacvuse of the strong, bright colour on the Fujitsu. I thought the solarisation was less on the Pioneer (although it was still there) but the picture seemed a lot more dull - it didn't jump out at you.

The scene I see the solarisation problem in LOTR is during the start when you first see a closeup of the ring on Saurons finger. The background to the left of the screen has an orange/brown flickiering glow from the off-screen fire and this appears to have several bands of colour. These bands then move as well because of the flickering effect of the fire. Like I say, it is visible to an extent on the Pioneer as well.

I must also apologise to the guys from Sevenoakes in Reading - I can see how my earlier comments may seem to be very damning of the Fujitsu when in fact it is a very good screen. Not perfect mind you, but then again no screen available is!

As usual with Plasma screens, it's about what is most important to you. Good blacks, brightness, strong colour etc. The fan noise seemed OK to me as well - yes it could be heard but it didn't seem as loud as the buzzing from the Panasonic for example. The perfect screen has yet to be made - it's just a question of whther I keep waiting or not!

-Steve

21. the oracle

the oracle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks v.much for all your comments Gordon, Nick and Steve. I'll be buying the fuji next week and look forward to enjoying it for a long time. Like you say Steve, there will never be a perfect panel, so why wait any longer when there seems to be a near perfect one out there now?:D I for one can't wait.

22. ncpl

ncpl
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    and let us know how you go.

Rgds

Nick

23. the oracle

the oracle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nick. I assume you've received your new cables now? Are you pleased with the results? Have had my plasma now for about a week and am more than happy. Know what you mean about the fan noise being constant, but no buzzing here i'm happy to say. Maybe you've sent it back?
    If not, do you have some optimal settings for me?;)

24. steve36

steve36

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    Nick,
    I also was wondering how you got on with the P42HHA.
    The american site suggests putting a sound dampening board behind the plasma. Seems a little extreme.

Also, WHATVIDEOWIDESCREEN etc. has reviewed the P42HHS with the external AVM+ box.
    They give it 5*, but with the proviso that some colour bleed and some noise over large, over-saturated areas of colour. Whilst stating the detail levels are excellent.
    I wonder if there was a fault with the earlier AVM+ box, or did the reviewer not spend long enough with the set ?

Steve G

:hiya:

25. lumpsucker

lumpsucker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Hello Steve,

Which edition of What Video Widescreen Entertanment did you see the review in? I've got March and April's and it's not in there :( or is May's edition out already ?

Cheers

Simon

26. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,779
    Steve: I saw what I saw.......The "get out of jail free" for the mag is that the early ones had a fault....who knows.

Gordon

27. steve36

steve36

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    Lumpsucker,
    The review is in May's edition. (I have subscribed for a while, and unlike other magazines this one delivers to subscribers first !).

Gordon,
    I trust your opinion to the point that I stopped trying to find a display model. My hope is that the first ones were faulty. How many examples would that make that were faulty though ?

Steve

28. lumpsucker

lumpsucker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Although I don't trust mag reviews it did get a very high rating. I was a bit worried at first as the review seemed to imply that there was no DVI input on the selector box, only on the screen. I can see from the pdf from Fujitsu that this must be a mistake as it is clearly specified on the box.

Good to see the pixel plus Phillips get a mention in the news section and it's available this month. looks like what with new Fujitsu, Phillips and Pannies later in the year the options are getting wider.

Cheers

Simon