1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

new fronts or just stands

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by mickbarlow, Apr 21, 2005.

1. mickbarlow

mickbarlow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    right, before xmas i bought the yamaha av50 package from unbeatable ( see http://www.unbeatable.co.uk/CatalogueItem_21653.html ).

the speakers (which i know are a bit cheap and nasty) are on a bookshelf behind my crt tv, which is about to be removed as an lcd is to put put on the wall.

now my dilema, do i:
    a) buy stands for these front speakers
    b) attach them to the wall and wire into behind the plasterboard (obviously more work)
    c) say balls the this and and buy some floorstanders. (got about £200)

only issue with c is that the missus is none to happy about big stonking floorstanders, so would have to be something more 'designer' looking.

all suggestions welcome :thumbsup:

2. u32t5645

u32t5645

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think those smaller, lighter speakers (satellite speakers) are less fussy about how they are mounting. You might be able to get away with setting them on lightweight, inexpensive, hollow plaster columns. Shops that cater to floral designers (silk flowers and the like) and craft stores often have them for $20-$50, depending on height. Just an idea…

My experience is to let the accountant/CFO/interior designer/boss/woman make the ultimate decision on such issues.

3. mickbarlow

mickbarlow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    good idea, cheers for the advice...