1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Fronts needed

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Spooky, Apr 4, 2003.

1. Spooky

Spooky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +61
    looking for a new set of front speakers for stereo use and make a 7.1 system.
    Will be using them with Kef 2005 package and a 2011 ( if it ever comes), so looking for something that will blend nicely with the Kef's.
    Any recomendations for a resoanable priced set of speakers?
    Thanx
    Spooks
    :hiya:

2. MuFu

MuFu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Pair of Kef Q1's perhaps?

Should be about £200-250 and are very nice speakers, IMO. Can initially sound a little bland compared with some others because they are very neutral. Going from a Q1 to something like a B&W 601s3 or Quad 11L sounded a bit like someone had turned the "loudness" button on to my ears - the treble is a little more laid back and the bass extension not quite as good as some competing units. Ultimately they are just more refined - the high end less coloured, midrange more controlled (dialogue has wonderful presence because of this) and I guess the low end is still good for speakers of that size. Probably best they be partnered with a decent sub though.

One more thing... they are Kefs (no sh!t!) and use that quirky co-axial speaker design too so should be a good tonal match for your current gear - maybe it's worth getting a stronger centre as well though. Haven't heard the Eggs but apparently the centre is the weak link. Just my thoughts...

MuFu.