New fronts MA S6 and centre SLCR - Should I get rsfx rears too!

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by goldeneye243, Nov 2, 2005.

1. goldeneye243

goldeneye243

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I have just invested in the monitor audio S6 fronts and SLCR centre, which are currently winging their way to me.

I have got an option to get some RSFX ( the new model but as far as I know only cosmetically different) at a good price. This would be as a replacement for my Eltax HT2 bipolar rears.

Is it worth upgrading? The HT2s are generally well regarded, but would they be outclassed by the MAs?

Any input greatly appreciated.

2. Knyght_byte

Knyght_byte

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +600
    the SFX's are fantastic, i have S6's SLCR centre too, and i love my SFX's :)

im going to be getting a pair of RSFX's in the new year to use as rear surrounds, my SFXs are currently and will remain side surrounds.......i can then move my S2's to diagonal corner duties as the B speakers on my Denon 3803 for when i listen to DVD-A/SACD.......the S2's are currently the back speakers, they do a nice job, but i'd rather it be a bit more diffuse with movies....also tbh they are wasted there, as surround music speakers they will be able to shine more.....

if you use a pair of RSFX's as side surrounds with something else as a rear centre/surround then switch the wires to dipolar.....i prefer it to bipolar, give it a try, but for just 5.1 then prolly sounds best in bipolar......but muck about ;-)

3. Knyght_byte

Knyght_byte

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +600
    actually, if you phone around Sevenoaks shops you are near, you might find they will do you a pair of SFX's cheap as they will now be using RSFX in-store.....they will be ex-demo but should be ok because they are not going to see quite so much usage as front or centre speakers.....

4. goldeneye243

goldeneye243

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Could someone explain the difference between dipolar and bipolar please. What benefits does it give?

Thanks!!

5. Knyght_byte

Knyght_byte

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +600
    bipolar simply refers to the speakers firing in two directions to reduce the beaming effect of conventional speakers....some bipolars have two mid/bass drivers and two tweeters, with one of each angled on different directions, others have one mid bass firing straight but two tweeters, both angled off differently from the mid/bass driver (this is what the SFX/RSFX's do).........dipolars however do the same thing but fire the tweeter out of phase to the mid/bass driver.......this creates an even less localised sound.....making it hard to place exactly where the sounds are, very useful in a bigger room room for creating a bigger atmosphere in the side and rear area....also useful if you intend on having more than one seating position, this way more people get a sense of surround sound instead of just the person in the sweet spot enjoying it all...lol
    (the sweet spot still exists, but the other areas are closer to being as good)

6. goldeneye243

goldeneye243

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Thanks for that - makes sense now. In fact thanks for helping generally Knyght_byte

Still not sure wether to go for them or not. Getting a bit of grief for spending money on speakers at the moment. Apparently we could have carpeted the house..........

By the way, you can get the RS FX from Richer sounds ireland for £299 if that encourages you to get some before the new year.

I think that I will wait until I have got the fronts and centre in and see if my old rears sound OK.

Getting tempted to upgrade my amp too - Should never have started looking at home cinema stuff again! What do you think - I have currently got a Sony strdb940.

7. Knyght_byte

Knyght_byte

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +600
    Richer Sounds stock MA speakers in Ireland? wow, they wouldnt do that over here....too expensive for their market now...lol

for the amp, tbh with the kind of speakers you've got, get the best amp you can afford.....i and others have found Denon amps work well with MA speakers, but i would to be honest recommend the 2805 as a bare minimum with the 3805 (or new 3806 when its out) being preferable......
    i dont know the Sony you have so i wont comment on how it compares.....

glad to be of help tho :)

8. goldeneye243

goldeneye243

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5