New front and center speakers

Kellboy

Standard Member
Hi all, i'm a newbie here, i'd like to know some tips about upgrading my setup:
Center wharfedale 9cm , front and side surround wf 9.5 rear polk t50
denon 4500h + denon 1910 for 4x yamaha old ns-p110 ceiling dolby atmos.
I send all to an benq 2700w (european model) projector on 120" screen.

Being bored from whrfedale 9.5 i'm gonna to replace center and front towers for now
My cinema room is 5x4 meters with improved acustic:
all carpets floor, big shelf with books and vinyls, curtains covering 2 windows, front wall and ceiling covered with soundproofing panels, 1 central sofa with 2 seats and 2 rear wood armchairs.

So new front towers and center should work with wherfedale 9.5 scaled to surround side and back position.
I'd like make a step up sound quality, i mostly watch film , listen flac music.
I still love my towers i'd like confirm wharfedale buying evo 4.4 but 4.cs center is too big and theese towers loves bigger rooms
so after some researches i found theese alternatives:

B&W 602 s2 anniversary edition + htm6 s2
focal chora 826 + focal center
kef q750 + 650c
klipsch premiere rp-6000f + rp600c

I know best solution is hearing with ears but i'm too far from hifi store when i can find some interesting.
So i'd like to know what you think is best or better option for me.
Thanks all in advance

Last edited:

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
Hi all, i'm a newbie here, i'd like to know some tips about upgrading my setup:
Center wharfedale 9cm , front and side surround wf 9.5 rear polk t50
denon 4500h + denon 1910 for 4x yamaha old ns-p110 ceiling dolby atmos.
I send all to an benq 2700w (european model) projector on 120" screen.

Being bored from whrfedale 9.5 i'm gonna to replace center and front towers for now
My cinema room is 5x4 meters with improved acustic:
all carpets floor, big shelf with books and vinyls, curtains covering 2 windows, front wall and ceiling covered with soundproofing panels, 1 central sofa with 2 seats and 2 rear wood armchairs.

So new front towers and center should work with wherfedale 9.5 scaled to surround side and back position.
I'd like make a step up sound quality, i mostly watch film , listen flac music.
I still love my towers i'd like confirm wharfedale buying evo 4.4 but 4.cs center is too big and theese towers loves bigger rooms
so after some researches i found theese alternatives:

B&W 602 s2 anniversary edition + htm6 s2
focal chora 826 + focal center
kef q750 + 650c
klipsch premiere rp-6000f + rp600c

I know best solution is hearing with ears but i'm too far from hifi store when i can find some interesting.
So i'd like to know what you think is best or better option for me.
Thanks all in advance

Which subwoofer(s) you got?

I would pass the B&W system due to S2 costing lot more than the earlier version which should sound very similar if not same, have a look is there sales for the soon discontinued 603 and HTM6 models. One review mentioned the small center channel didn´t fully keep up with the large 603 towers. I think it was soundandvision 5.1 review. Not much reason to pay double price for the S2?

"The Bowers & Wilkins 600 S2 Anniversary Edition benefits from a few minor sonic tweaks, but based on memory it sounds largely the same as the previous generation"

Focal Chora 826 5.1 was reviewed at AVF while ago. Clearly great sounding system and the center channel isn´t downsized. Keep in mind that center channel is one of the most active (+60%) speaker in your system, so don´t go small/cheap if you don´t have to!

Kef Q750 + Q650 has certain advantages due to coaxial driver design, many do love them with movies. It comes also with large 2,5-way center channel and identical drivers to Q750 similar as Focal! AVF has reviewed this front three, check it out:

Klipsch RP-6000F and RP-600C. This is the system that most would pick in US for movies. Clearly it does many things right and gone is the harshness which was known with Klipsch back in the days with the horn tweeters. AVF has review here with 6000F but the center channel was the multi driver version, i would have chosen the RP-600C again identical drivers to main speakers! Or alternatively RP-504C if width isn´t issue and you have listeners in wider area.

I feel your pain. It`s so hard to choose as all those are good in their own ways. At the end it comes down which sound signature you like best. And sadly you will only know that after hearing each brand main speakers side by side using example Denon X4700h at the store. If you aren´t able to do that then you have to read every review and see what owners thinks of them. Would it then bother you later that you didn´t have the option to hear X brand? Those darn what if thoughts with buyers remorse. Keep us posted how you go forward.

Kellboy

Standard Member
Thank you so much for help me. I saw theese reviews and more... At now best solution for me seems focal set up. Its center seems adeguate to 826 towers with same woofers and tweeter (same dimensions of my own wharfedale 9cm after checked).
Another interesting detail, they have front aerodynamic air port, should help having front towers position very close to side wall and half meter to front wall. It surely may reduce boomy effect.
I read they are easy to install and work in every room.
826 won eisa award 20-21, the price is affordable for me, and all reviews i read are enthusiastic about their behaviour. For theese reasons focal speakers are my first choice.

Anyway the giant (i'd insert in my layout) kef center is very attractive to me and i still could change my reasoning, but someone in a review observed kef q750 are phisically in deep 2 way not 2,5 way: 2 woofers are passive, only a woofer and midrange work (double work with highs).
Considering lighter weight than all others, no grills in bundle, same cost of focals 826 (3 ways) start to be hard to swallow.

My subwoofers are identical (numan unisub): they are cheap (german) but good for the price (21kg each) sound identical one is in front one is rear behind sofa between back surrounds and under projector. I know my room deserve something better but 2 old windows and old wood door suffering too much basses...so preferred save money but doubling effect. (less volume but extended/wided basses) So i had to set manually audissey xt32 in subwoofers level.
The overall performance is good for my tastes but subs needs to be stemmed.

Kellboy

Standard Member
Still waiting best price to some dealers...
After many researches main choice are focal chora 826 and aria 926.
But in my wish list added triangle esprit antal ez i could find them few more 1500€.
Seems are really good price and choice considering what they offer and class where they sit.

Kellboy

Standard Member
Just ordered my new front speakers set: antal and center voce ez.
Delivery for next week
But now have a question:
better amping antals by denon 4500 (i know denon 4500 can do bi amp mode but i don't want sacrifice dolby atmos 7.4.2 to 7.2.2) or through multichannel in bypassing signal (pre out) for bi amping them to denon 1910 as final amp (120w mono amp vs 90w bi amp) ? I read in some forum theese towers love bi-amp power.

Last edited:

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
Just ordered my new front speakers set: antal and center voce ez.
Delivery for next week
But now have a question:
better amping antals by denon 4500 (i know denon 4500 can do bi amp mode but i don't want sacrifice dolby atmos 7.4.2 to 7.2.2) or through multichannel in bypassing signal (pre out) for bi amping them to denon 1910 as final amp (120w mono amp vs 90w bi amp) ? I read in some forum theese towers love bi-amp power.

Nice, hope the speakers are good and you have plenty of space around them cause look quite big!
I have no experience with bi-amping (extra amp), better to ask in the receiver section. The X4500H should run those towers just fine, for movies you aren´t running them full range (60-80hz crossover) as you hopefully have some good subwoofer(s).

lifestyle-gaia-test-1536x1080.jpg

Kellboy

Standard Member
Thank you for answer:
i am totally agree with you, i'm running my old wharfedale 9.5 front towers at 60hz crossover that helped so much in movies: basses worked tighter and dry. My cinema room as described at top has a nice treated acustic but old 2 windows continue to suffer bass punch.
This was another reason to choose antals, bass front reflex air port and bass equilibrated but shaped.

I'll post the question into other section

The latest video from AVForums

Oculus Quest 2 VR headset + Rotel A14 MkII Amp Reviews & Best of the Month
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom