New French Drama on Sky Arts 2!

PoochJD

Hi,

Saw a trailer for this the other night. MAISON CLOSE is a new eight-part French drama (with English Subtitles), with a decidedly adult tone.

The period costume drama is set in a 19th Century Parisian brothel, and examines the hidden side of the dark effects of prostitution, and the legalisation of brothels in Paris at that time.

Focussing on the women who work there, rather than on the clientele, three women have to escape their forced employment, whilst surrounded by aristocrats who are willing to pay vast sums of money to use them. The Paradise Brothel is managed by Madam Hortense, who works her girls as hard as she works her favourite clients, but which makes her plenty of enemies, her employees being just three of them.

We follow the story, as Madam Hortense is about to lose her star employee, and a dynamic power-play starts to cause ruptures within the brothel and amongst the staff.

If you enjoy foreign-language dramas, then this is likely to be another worthy series showcasing the best of European TV. The show is airing on Sky Arts 2 from Sunday 15th July at 10pm, and is repeated a couple of times throughout each week. :)

Pooch

Goooner

Distinguished Member
No nudity so far.
Very disappointing, the paper made it sound like it was full of it last week when I read about it:rotfl:

Supposed to be one of the raunchiest shows on TV, or something. Have they not seen Spartacus, Rome etc...?:D

PoochJD

Hi,

I don't think it's meant to be full of sex. And, to be honest, if that's why people are watching this show, then they're probably going to be bored by it. (As has been pointed out, several websites and papers were recommending this series, based purely on its premise, and clearly hadn't seen a single second of it! :D)

It's not an easy show to follow, but I think it has potential. Hopefully by the end of Episode 2, things will be clearer as to who is who, and what the point of the story is. :)

I'm willing to stick with it for a bit longer, before casting my view on it.

Pooch

Goooner

Distinguished Member
Nudity would be a bonus :)

So long as the story is decent I'll give it a few episodes. Let's be honest though, how many people would have actually botehered to watch even one episode were it not for the promise of gratuitous sex and nudity?

Subtitles, some obscure channel that your average Sky subscriber (gross generalisation here :devil:) probably doesn't even know exists, let alone watches, not got much going for it really :)

Sky Arts have had a few gems of late, Romanzo Criminale for one and Prisoners of War isn't bad either.

PoochJD

Hi Goooner,

Let's be honest though, how many people would have actually botehered to watch even one episode were it not for the promise of gratuitous sex and nudity?
Well, I would have given it a chance, purely because it's something different, and subtitled. It makes for a nice treat from all of the crap that most other UK channels foist upon us, to have something that requires intelligence to enjoy.

Subtitles, some obscure channel that your average Sky subscriber (gross generalisation here :devil:) probably doesn't even know exists, let alone watches, not got much going for it really :)
That depends on what you are interested in viewing, doesn't it?! Seems an odd comment to make, when you then go on to say:

Sky Arts have had a few gems of late, Romanzo Criminale for one and Prisoners of War isn't bad either.
So, you say that the show has nothing going for it, nor the channel, yet you then admit it's had some gems that you've actually watched! :D

Pooch

Goooner

Distinguished Member
When I said it had nothing going for it, I was speaking from the more general point of view of the sort of person that for instance won't watch a show because it's on BBC 2 rather than BBC 1 or only watches stuff like Eastenders, X Factor etc...

I noticed the trailer for Maison a few weeks back (probably during Prisoners of War) when it was just listed as "coming soon" with no specific date and promptly forgot all about it, it was only when I happened to see the write up in the paper that reminded me it was on.

I'll watch anything (from TOWIE to Romanzo Criminale and anything in between) so long as it entertains or intersts me. The "average Sky subscriber" comment was supposed to be somewhat tongue in cheek:)

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: The Best TVs and Projectors of 2020, plus AV, TV Show & Movie News & Reviews
Top Bottom