1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New freeview STB

Discussion in 'Freeview & YouView' started by ldoodle, Jul 21, 2003.

1. ldoodle

ldoodle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Has anyone got any information, or know where I can look, regarding the new Samsung SIRU2001X STB. It looks rather sexy, but I can't find any info about it, or what the controller looks like.

Thanks/...

2. ldoodle

ldoodle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I found some info here , but it means nothing to me. Can someone in the 'know-how' explain if this box is good or bad.

Thanks/...

PS: I think the dimensions are slightly wrong! :)

3. leeb

leeb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    Hmm, do you think?! :D Guess they meant mm.

I saw this receiver in John Lewis a few weeks ago and also thought it looked very sexy! It is nice and small and doesn't look like a brick (Nokia). There's some info at this site (go to the TV section). Also found someones opinion on it here, some of his comments were "Great looking box, small and stylish. Easy set-up. Picture and sound excellent. Quick channel switching." Anyone here seen one in action?

4. ldoodle

ldoodle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Bit OT, but will it make a big difference if I use a freeview box with a composite scart socket on my TV.

I don't really want to loop through, but if push comes to shove, it can be done this way.

5. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    uuurrggghhh...composite.

You really want to use at least S-Video, preferbly SCART RGB from a digibox.

6. ldoodle

ldoodle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah I know, but my TV has 3 scarts... one RGB, and the other 2 are only Compo****e!! :(

It was just a general question... if there wasn't much difference in quality then I would have used a seperate scart on my TV, but both this digibox, and my dvd player have RBG loopthorugh, so i'll just use that.

In which case, how would I get it so that my digibox would be the primary device to use?...

DVD to Digibox in / Digibox out to TV

Digibox to DVD in / DVD out to TV

If both loopthrough sockets are RGB, there won't be any quality loss will there, whichever way I do it?

7. home_bas

home_bas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I used to run my I-Player Freeview box through S-Vid as I was concerned about picture degradation using the loopthrough, as my TV has the 1 RGB socket....

... until Sunday when I saw the AMAZING difference RGB made - the digital text is SO much sharper, I was gobsmacked. Hence my DVD player (with no loopthrough) is looping through the RGB loopthrough on my i-Player.

Haven't noticed any dramatic drop in DVD quality (would rather have passed through the DVD player if poss), but I'm tempted to get another expensive scart from the DVD to i-Player - the i-player has nicked the expensive one for now.

8. ldoodle

ldoodle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just had a quick look at the freeview site (www.freeview.co.uk), and it mentions something about 'wideband' ariels. What the heck is one of these and how do I know if mine is wideband or not.

I have a seperate ariel for my bedroom (as do my brothers), and they're fairly new.

9. DaveP

DaveP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    From what I understand of it, the old system transmits the 5 channels in a group fairly close to each other. So you may get channels 38, 42, 45, 47 and 49, for example. Your aerial is then tuned to receive that specific range to get the best reception.

Digital, however, is spread throughout the channel range of 20 to 69 so you may not get a good signal either side of the channels that your aerial is designed for. This is in areas of poor reception of course, if you are close to a transmitter you won't have a problem.

DaveP