New Freeview recorder ?

biccus1

Evening all we are renewing some tech in bedroom and we use a Freeview recorder for when out and when more than one thing at a time is on, we currently have a panasonic dmr-hwt250 which is ok but wondered if anything better for just recording, don’t need any services on box as will all be on tv ? Thanks in advance

MReed

Thank you which one seems best and more reliable from the two plz ?
Hi, I haven't got either of these boxes but checkout the discusdion here:-'

Pulse1

Thank you which one seems best and more reliable from the two plz ?
I had the Aura and have still got the Manhattan T3-R as the Manhattan is the much better box. The 1080i HD channels picture quality is much sharper and cleaner on the T3-R. Also much more reliable than the Aura and has better settings that keeps it simple to use. The Aura has still got some way to go for me to recommend in it's current form.

Rodders53

Distinguished Member
What is wrong with the Panny?

Seems it's Freeview Play - the latest spec as are the two 'alternatives' suggested. So I doubt anything else will be significantly 'better'?

Aura has extra tuners for the often rare time more than two need to be going simultaneously. Also an issue with high dynamic range on all the time (if connected to a UHD TV).

If three programme recording is desired most TVs nowadays can record one to a USB HDD in a caddy...

Oops ... wrong forum.
Moneysaving Expert is thataway >>>>

Last edited:

Pulse1

Aura has extra tuners for the often rare time more than two need to be going simultaneously. Also an issue with high dynamic range on all the time (if connected to a UHD TV).
It's the Arris Freesat boxes that have HDR on all the time when connected to an UHD Display and not the Humax Aura.

biccus1

The panny is ok but just bulky for the rejig but we are looking at other options if not will get a Manhatten I think thank you everyone

millfield

I had two T3 R recorders and sent them back due to picture freezing and boxes at times being unresponsive to the remote. Spoke to helpful Manhatton person but could not rectify the problems. I decided to go with the Humax Aura and up to now have had ten months trouble free service and having three tuners is an added bonus.

Clem_Dye

Distinguished Member
The plusses and minuses of PVR ownership is a common thread. For every positive comment about product X, you can find a negative.

Panasonic still makes a couple of FreeviewHD PVRs, combo units with a BR/DVD drive. I’m currently on my third sample of Panasonic’s 550 model, courtesy of John Lewis, as the first two have been faulty. I gave up on a new Humax box as the well-reported HDMI issues killed ARC in my set-up. My Manhattan T3-R is generally OK, but that has had a few issues along the way.

All of this stuff is mass produced, but it’s a rapidly diminishing product set. We’re effectively being forced to stream for catch-up whether we like it or not. That would be fine if the UK streaming platforms offered decent video and audio quality, but they don’t, which is why so many of us still prefer to timeshift, but we’re a dying breed.

As to the OP’s question, there’s no value changing unless you need new features. The big attraction of newer Humax kit is the third tuner, but other than that, as timeshifters go, there’s not much to choose between them IMO.

millfield

Totally agree Clem, I would have been happy with the Manhattan but with its little faults I wasn't willing to chance keeping them. I went back to Humax as I have always had them, I did have a Panasonic DMR 120 PVR which my son is still using and it must be about eight or nine years old.

Clem_Dye

Distinguished Member
Yup, my 120 Panasonic PVR is nearly 9 years old now, and touch wood, is still working. At some point it will die, but as for a replacement, who knows.

Clem_Dye

Distinguished Member
Overall, it's a good lump. The onboard tuners are very sensitive, the software is good (but could be better in places) and the box is quite small. Downsides are the lack of any physical controls on the box, a remote that will clash with other Manhattan products (they all use the same remote protocol, etc.) and catch-up services like Netflix, Amazon, NowTV, etc. are MIA.

Personally, I like the simplicity of the box. Could it be better? Certainly, but the thing that sells it for me is the support. It's UK-based, as is the company, and support, when needed, is, in my experience, first rate.

The latest video from AVForums

Panasonic LZ2000, LZ1500 & LZ980 Hands-on Launch Event | No QD-OLED for 2022, new 77-inch for LZ2000
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom