Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

New Freeview 7-day EPG gets go-ahead and to launch in January.

Discussion in 'Freeview & YouView' started by PhilipVass, Oct 10, 2003.

1. PhilipVass

PhilipVass

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Has to be more good news for Freeview, hours after Disney announced it will launch tits first free-to-air channel in the UK.

"The other boost for Freeview came at a New Media Markets Conference in London. There will be a 7-day EPG on the channel. Andy Townend, the BBC's Head of Distribution told delegates that the long-awaited service should be delivered in January."

here is the story.. http://www.dtg.org.uk/latest/latest_freeview_boosts.htm

Few quires i have a Nokia Mediamaster 9850T i am wondering if it shall be updated for this?

and will my Grundig GDT1500 support this also?

2. bobones

bobones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    No chance of the old Ondigital Nokia ever being updated, but I'm not sure about the Grundig. Contact the manufacturer and ask them.

If anyone is buying a new box now, make sure the manufacturer guarantees that it is 7day EPG compatible or that they will update it to be so. For example, Philips will not commit to making their brand new box compatable, whereas the new Sony already is.

3. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +975
    Not really bothered if my Philips doesn't have a 7 day EPG since it's not and never will be connected to a recording device and there are far easier ways to look at the next weeks programming than an EPG. However a proper EPG is essential to the current and future integrated recording STB's that will meet the Freeview spec and looks like Fusion are getting very close to missing the boat:(

Perhaps with this announcment the DTG should make the EPG part of the baseline spec for UK DTT boxes.

4. PhilipVass

PhilipVass

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    On the Currys website it says it supports the 7-day EPG, The Grundig/thomson software has a clever built in tv guide which only has now and next do you think it will get updated to 7-days or will it be on a separate channel like Teletext..?

5. Wayne Moule

Wayne Moule

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +79
    I thought I read it was going to be a seperate channel on DS like ON View was and Teletext is.

It'll be handy I guess,but you can get the listings from the papers,Radio Times and the Net anyway.

Lets hope it's kept up to date.