New Freesat box from Currys

eddierocks665

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi.
Just tool the plunge, and on first impressions, this unit compared to my Sky Q is utter crap.
Too slow, too clunky....
Did doo some research before hand, but nobody else seems to make these boxes now.
Anyway, I`m assuming this is the Arris build?
How do I pair the remote?
The generic instructions say to press 2 buttons together, until red light comes on, and use "arrows" to move up and down.
That is NO help at all.
Do I have to be on a certain page, do I use the Vol or Ch up and down arrows?
Can I make the remote control my TV and LG soundbar, as my Sky Q remote once did?

Only had this a day, and thinking of returning it.
Please help

Contact Us | Freesat

You've got 15 mins before they close.

EDIT Too late. Call them tomorrow?

But first do :rtfm: properly

Page 34 of the paper manual or electronic: https://storage.googleapis.com/freesat-production-assets/box/files/PVR2020v38manual.pdf.pdf
details how to 'auto find' and also how to manually input a code using the the remote control code list https://storage.googleapis.com/free...oads/77711_remote_control_codes_sheet_231.pdf

If your TV is LG (like the soundbar) it's one of these
0844 0840 0816 0815 0708 0707 0634 0592 0553 0512 0511 0509 0504 0503 0502 0501 0288 0286 0283 0263 0250 0181 0110 0108 0090 0069 0038 0015 0014 0013

As you can see you need many, many button presses to work through the possible codes for one make - let alone for all possible makes! (LG has 30 codes)

It'll then control the (LG) TV sound volume and (hopefully via hdmi CEC and ARC) the soundbar.

Last edited:
I`ve sat in a dark corner and counted to 1000 and calmed down. ;-)
I`ve manually inputted a code into the remote, and it now controls my sound bar.
Dolby Atmos now runs through it via Netflix.

I still stand by the build quality, and speed of use, for £225, but all seems to be working now.
Only issues I have now, is simply switching it on, and switching it off.

I need to make it as simple as possible, as the wife is a technophobe.
On power back on, it takes a few minutes, and a graphic comes up about connecting to the dish.
Is that normal?

I need to make it as simple as possible, as the wife is a technophobe.
On power back on, it takes a few minutes, and a graphic comes up about connecting to the dish.
Is that normal?

Yes I'm afraid that is normal, something about "setting up" the dish? clearly nonsense but I assume this is just the box booting up from a low power standby state.

I have to agree with you about the box being clunky, it's poorly designed and still has a number of unresolved bugs a couple of years down the line but sadly no alternatives on the market currently

I have found if you disconnect the internet, the box feels a little snappier and you don't get the pictureless (and pointless) icons in the record menu, fine for me as I only use the box for recordings, all the smart stuff I need is on on my TV.
Last update I got was MAY and I connect to net every now and then to see if there is any new updates.
The box isn't great TBH but it does the job I need it to do. Coming from a sky Q box it will feel very laggy in comparison but is usable if you have a little patience.

I`m also getting another issue.
When I change the TV input to watch Disney+ on my Smart TV, then change the input back to my Freesat box, it doesn`t go back to 4K settings, which means that Netflix has no sound.
If I go into settings, the resolution will not change back from 1080p.
Real pain.
Seriously considering going freeview with something else.

Does the TV not support Netflix via an App??

The freeview 4k box has (had?) an issue with 4k UHD/HDR upscaling that made SD and HD pictures awful on most UHD 4k TVs... solution was to fix output at 1080p = no HDR... Whether that' relevant I don't know.
But this sounds like a simple hdmi handshake issue?
Try switching the TV input to another (not App-based) input: Freeview tuner or an external input (even one not in use) then back to the freesat box. If it then goes to 4k mode it proves the handshake problem.
May be worth trying different hdmi cables or TV input? (or not)!

You probably need(ed) to read the (now very long) thread on the box (aka Arris box) to understand some of its foibles.

I`ve found, switching off, and switching the Arris box back on, defaults to 720p.
I have to do what you suggested, and change the inputs on the TV to get it back to 4k on the Freesat.
Cant keep doing that, it will drive my Mrs mad.
How can I get it to default start at 4k?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom