New free to view channels??

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by Squirrel God, May 21, 2002.

1. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I did a fresh channel scan this morning and my Pace box found 31 channels......

The new ones are as follows:

100 DTG1 CH3
    101 DTG1 CH2
    102 DTG1 CH1
    103 DTG3 CH3
    104 DTG3 CH2
    105 DTG3 CH1
    701 No name
    702 No name
    901 TEST1
    902 TEST2
    904 DTG1 CH2
    905 DTG2 CH2
    907 DTG1 CH3
    908 DTG2 CH3

The names keep changing however.

701 and 702 are currently showing a test signal labelled BBC Sport.

901 and 902 are currently showing what is broadcast on BBC1.

A couple of the channels (I forget which one) were showing some colour bars early this morning.

Anybody know what's going on here? Are we about to get some new channels? Or is this just standard testing stuff that goes on all the time?

Cheers :)

2. squid

squid
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    just been over at the bbc site reading the news . it looks like the bbc are very interested in taking over from itvd and doing it free to air . :D :D

it may be they are in the testing stage befor they finalise a deal

3. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It certainly looks that way with all the BBC logos appearing over those test channels :)

Good for them I say! The more free to air channels there are, the less I will resent paying my license fee! ;)

4. squid

squid
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i hav'nt had an arial on my roof in years . if it gos ahead and TD gos all free to air with some good dtuff on it may be time to call out the installers and have a new one put up for all those nice new chanels

heres hoping :D :D :D

5. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Absolutely, I really dig the Beeb's output too ... and they seem committed to widescreen broadcasts now :D which is more than can be said of ITV :mad:

Won't the free channels be on Sky as well though? I wouldn't call that installer just yet ;)

6. squid

squid
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i've never realy been overly happy with the mandatory licence fee but if they did take over terestrial D i do think that it would make it more justified. what i would love to see is the uk channels uk gold , uk style ect. (the beeb own a big part of them anyway) be taken over and used . if these channels went free to air ( as they were and should still be if you ask me) then i may even think of dumping my sky sub .

the only chan i watch that is'nt a uk or beeb chan is sky one and i don't think my sub would be worth the bother just for that . i could wait for the beeb to get the us shows , and lets face it that's all sky 1 has going for it

7. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Be nice if Murdoch loses a few quid as a result because loads of people think the same as you! ;)

8. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Channel 15 is now ntl interactive :eek:

Does that mean ntl are trying to get some FTV licenses too? :eek:

9. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    I think ntl need TD they are a huge company but Cable is too expensive to install anywhere new. If they did buy TD lisences theywould have a lot they infrastructure already, Billing, call centres etc. And they already operate some of the transmitters on behalf of ITV so they are the logical buyer. They have a crippling debt to overcome but thats up to them, It would be good to see someone give sky a run for their money.

10. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well it looks like digital terrestrial could be really good in the near future then :) With a bit of variety and no subscription (bar the license fee), can't really complain can you? :D

11. stalefish

stalefish

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Channels 701 & 702 went live today on my box (pace DTVA) as BBC sport 1 & 2!!

12. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, showing France-Senegal game on 701 and an interview with Beckham on 702 at the moment (1.30am).

Not fully live yet though - no channel identifiers or EPG info... imaginatively, 701 is entitled "." and 702 is entitled "..". Full marks to the Beeb for a worthwhile brainstorming exercise :p

I get the feeling ITVD going bust could be the best thing to happen to free to air and digital terrestrial :D