New forum users straightin in for the kill.

Ayub

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have noticed we have new members everyday which is :smashin: however i think their second of third post should be a quesion. The first post should be an introduction.

Its nice to get to know the person a little befor rattling brains:lesson: Its possible to get off on the wrong foot :rolleyes:

there is a hello thread,at the top of this page,for introductions.
still,if you dont feel like introducing yourself,and/or post some mini life story,and likes dislikes or hobbies,i feel,then you shouldnt be pressured,or feel you have to.
maybe a thread for longer served members,reminding them that everyone here was new at one point wouldnt go amiss.
i do feel though,that a mandatory visit to the forum rules should apply to new members,as no doubt they are not read by every new member,who joins the site.

maybe a thread for longer served members,reminding them that everyone here was new at one point wouldnt go amiss.

I agree.

I will always welcome new members, unless they immediately start off as being overtly antagonistic...even then, I will give them a gentle reminder about forum etiquette.

Yeah, the hello thread:confused:, I don't think I've ever looked near it.

If I go to reply to someones thread and I notice that it's their first post I would welcome them.

There must be quite a few people that spy on the forums but never post. I think the main reason for looking at the forums and posting on the forums is to finds answers to some of your questions, so I don't mind when a new user posts a question as his/her first post.

The only reason I joined the forums was to trade DVD's. Now I very seldom do that, but I hang around, cause I always find something else that interests me.

New thread coming. Why did you join the forums?

Speaking of going straight in for the kill, i spotted a newbies very 1st post asking for a 48 hour xbox live pass for nothing.

Good intro to avforums mate :lesson:

Got enough flags in your sig there? :eek:

Speaking of going straight in for the kill, i spotted a newbies very 1st post asking for a 48 hour xbox live pass for nothing.

Good intro to avforums mate :lesson:

Yeah, I think these sort of people most of us don't care for. If I see a members first post I usually say welcome to the forums and try and be helpful. It all depends how that first post is though. If it's typed well and in a friendly manner the OP will usually find they get lots of help. If the manner is rather short and demanding, or they have typed it in text speak then they will most likely be ignored.

This goes for life I suppose, you deal with all sorts of people at work, in person and on the phone, some immediately come off as really friendly and others you just want to tell where to go and multiply.

there is no rules saying about new members introducing ourselves. why not put it on the registration page so it automatically makes you do a hello message which goes straight into the forum

And when they ask a question dont just ignore them or tell them to do a search. Thats rude IMO. Coming in here for the first time could be quite daunting for some

And when they ask a question dont just ignore them or tell them to do a search. Thats rude IMO. Coming in here for the first time could be quite daunting for some

I never thought of it like that, makes sense really.

As usual the middle road is the best. It can be quite daunting when you first start posting.

If someone asks an obvious question then help them out, but also politely suggest that they use the search facilities. Show them if need be.

Leed by example and all that jive.

No names, no pack drill, but recently I saw a newbie post his first ever post asking about a plasma TV in an LCD thread (easy to do with so many confusing product codes), and he was berated on all fronts, even from a mod who referred to people of that ilk being lazy "assholes" for not searching first. Charming. All it needed was a polite response and a pointer to the correct thread and all would have been well. As it was a few of the offending posts were pulled by another mod as they were not in keeping with the ethos of the forum.

On that incident I'm surprised people actually sign up at all!

No names, no pack drill, but recently I saw a newbie post his first ever post asking about a plasma TV in an LCD thread (easy to do with so many confusing product codes), and he was berated on all fronts, even from a mod who referred to people of that ilk being lazy "assholes" for not searching first. Charming. All it needed was a polite response and a pointer to the correct thread and all would have been well. As it was a few of the offending posts were pulled by another mod as they were not in keeping with the ethos of the forum.

On that incident I'm surprised people actually sign up at all!

agreed ! We are also here to help others and whilst sometimes I also think "why does he not do a search for something which is quite easy to find" sometimes it just takes too much time trawling for an answer which could be given straight away by someone in the know.Some people dont understand the concept of generosity IMO.

I'm only here for the fit girls, sod the newbies...

Sorry, wrong forum.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom