New forum member looking for some advice from the experts....

Discussion in 'Music Streamers' started by Musky72, Jul 9, 2017.

1. Musky72

Musky72
      Novice Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +0
      Evening all,

My name is Steve Muscutt, I run a music news and review site called musicmuso.com and I have an issue that I'd like your views on please.

To make it easier, I'll tell you what I am looking to achieve;

I have a CD collection, there are approx 10k discs and I simply do not have the space for anymore of them SO I am looking at a way of ripping them and then accessing them via an AV Amplifier or via a streaming service.

I have looked at SONOS a few years back and if I were simply streaming, it would be ideal, but as I want to access my own content, I chose not to venture down that path.

I am thinking of a solution where I could plug in an external USB drive (with ripped music) into an AV amplifier and then control the content via an iPad using the software available from the amp's provider (Pioneer/Onkyo etc). I know that this is probably not the slickest way of doing this and I am open to suggestions should anyone have anything to offer?

Thanks, hope to hear from you soon.

2. Goldorak

Goldorak
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +3,493
      You will have lots of help from expert in this site. I am not one.

I know however that there are several ways to do it:
      1. Rip into your computer via dppoweramp And then use a nas to stream
      2. You can put music on a hard drive but good luck to find it easily
      3. Invest in the coming new naim uniti range. An atom+core or star.
      These are cd ripper, amplifier, streamer plus multi room of the highest quality. Been delayed by a year but out soon. Expensive relatively speaking but if you like top quality, that's the way to go

Like I said, I am no expert but I am going option 3 and atom.

3. Goldorak

Goldorak
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +3,493
    4. Goldorak

Goldorak
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +3,493
    5. gcogger

gcogger

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +55
      I use dbPowerAmp for ripping and it works very well.
      For playback, I'd suggest a Raspberry Pi running Volumio, Rune or Moode. With these, you store the music on something like a USB hard drive, or a NAS, and play it using a web browser interface on whatever you like (tablet, phone etc.). If you get something like a HifiBerry Digi+ with the Raspberry Pi, you'll get a decent digital output to feed into the amp, and the total cost is under £100. You could spend £100s, or £1000s, on a brand name system, but I seriously doubt it will sound any better or be any easier to use.

6. T1berious

T1berious

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +38
      +1 for dbPowerAmp. I use a synology NAS and stream via Sonos but hope to be moving over to Naim for the listening room and getting some Tidal action going.

7. JasonPSL

JasonPSL

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +12
      It depends on how much you value the experience of playing your music and the information it contains.
      There are lots of way to rip your music as above.
      Using a USB hard drive direct to an av amp will work to some extent, but you will quickly find it is a pain for most amps to find the music you want to listen to.
      One option would be to look at Roon - this can be run from a PC or a NUC (mini-PC) and can stream your music or Tidal. You can use cheap a Raspberry Pi as an end point or multi-room music. The main selling point for Roon is the metadata that they include with the service, but it is not cheap ($119 per year or $499 for a lifetime membership). They offer a 2 week trial.

I have also used squeezebox for years, which you can use with Raspberry Pis and is now much easier to set up with these and a good starting point for streaming and multi-room.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • List
    8. MikeTheBike2010

MikeTheBike2010

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +98
      Is there a young person in your family or a student nearby who needs a summer job? You could offer to pay them to rip your cds over the summer?

9. Pecker

Pecker
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Huddersfield, People's Republic of Yorkshire
      Ratings:
      +4,495
      HI Steve, welcome on board.

I may have misunderstood, but I think you've misunderstood something:

Re:

Steve, SONOS isn't just for streaming. You can also use it to play your own (ripped) CDs.

You can store the rips on a NAS. Control the Sonos from your iPhone.

I have a SONOS and I stream virtually nothing - I use to almost entirely to listen to my own CD rips.

Hope that helps.

10. Sonic67

Sonic67
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +15,872
      I ripped to FLAC and saved to a WD MyCloud. From that I can play through Sonos via my phone (Android) or I can access it from my Denon Amp. I found to play from the NAS to the amp it had to be a wired connection. Wifi had dropouts. Oddly the Sonos had no problem.

11. andy1249

andy1249
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +2,248
      IMG_2188.PNG

I have in excess of 20K titles, all ripped by EAC to flac.
      Approx 700 SACD and DVDA titles ripped to ISO

All are stored on a HP microserver and this is running Jriver software under windows server.
      Jriver costs approx 50 dollars and runs under Windows, OSX , or Linux, it can also be installed on some NAS units.

Jremote on ipad will act as the controller and send music unmodified to any upnp compatible player.

Jremote is a very fast browser for large collections.
      JRiver Overview

Screenshot from my ipad attached

12. Rambles

Rambles

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +1,352
      Budget method. Rip to FLAC for best quality. Store on a hard drive connected to your router. Use a chromecast audio, they are £30, connected to any amp and stream via a smartphone / tablet / pc.

13. symphara

symphara

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +58
      I do exactly this, using an Electrocompaniet ECI-6DS and a Synology NAS (DS214 I believe, they have newer now). You can control the music through the Electro's remote, which also shows the album art, tracks etc.

I rip using foobar2000 and FLAC. I configured the Synology for Samba (Windows file share) and I can just connect to it on my computer as a drive, so ripping is easy.

I used to just use an USB external HDD connected to my WiFi router, who also has the dlna functionality. However the drive failed (it was just a 6 months old Seagate) and I lost hundreds of rips, hence after cursing Seagate for about 2 days I bought the Synology and installed a 2TBytes RAID-1 with WD NAS disks.

Overall it works pretty well and it's essentially zero maintenance.

14. Sluggster

Sluggster

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +35
      Plenty of good advice here.

Personally I use a NAS, which is easy to use and saves having to have a PC or Mac on all the time. You would also be able to get all your discs on in flac at a reasonable price.

For a good value option I would agree with the Sonos approach. I would suggest one of the higher spec versions with an external input so that you have access to all applications. In the UK for instance, Audible does not work from within the Sonos application.

If you are a serious listener and have the money to invest, then Naim is a good choice but these days there are plenty of other expensive options such a Linn too. A good pc based renderer and high quality DAC like the Hugo would give you great sound but so would a pioneer or Denon.

Personally, with all those CDs, I would invest in a good system and actually consider using Tidal. It does sound really impressive compared to Spotify and iTunes but only if your system is capable of revealing the difference.

I'm listening to Spotify over a B&W Zeppelin as I write this and it sounds pretty good. CDs would sound even better.

That said, I'm really looking forward to getting my Naim out of storage in a couple of weeks - it's many leagues above the Zep.

Good luck with your search.

15. clemmeroid

clemmeroid

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +70
    16. Streamer16

Streamer16

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +24
      As mentioned, the combination of Sonos + NAS would do exactly what the OP wants but there is one big caveat: Sonos has a memory limitation of about 65,000 indexed items. There are workarounds though (ripping disks as complete disks rather than tracks, using playlists).

One big advantage of Sonos over most other systems is that the NAS index is stored in the Sonos unit, not on the NAS, and so can be accessed very fast.