New floorstanders

Don L

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi
Thinking of changing my Dali Spektors for a pair of floorstanders. I have PM 6006 amp and cd player and mostly play rock and pop. Could someone suggest suitable kit? I have around 5-600 to spend and would appreciate your advice. Am thinking of a pair of Fyne 302s.
Thanking you

My first question is..... did you like the sound of your Spektors ?

This is very relevant as its a sound you have lived with for some time and are very familiar with and moving to a different brand of speaker will hugely impact the sound, so just want to know how you found the dali, its weaknesses and strengths to see if it is a simple case of keep dali and upgrade .. or if its a case of swap and upgrade

If you like the Dali sound then the obvious choice would be the Oberon 5 but these are a little over budget.

If you are happy with second hand then a pair of PMC FB1(+) may be an interesting choice, these are fairly easy to drive at 8ohm nominal and 90db/w/m sensitivity. FB1 has metal dome tweeter, FB1+ soft dome if that is of interest to you.

example

Last edited:
-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
I'm happy with sound of Dalis but feel that floorstanders would fit in with layout of the new room although am open to all suggestions

If you have the space and can stretch your upper budget by £99, then the QA concept 40 should be on your shortlist.

Monitor Audio Bronze 200, Monitor 300 and Mission QX3 are within your budget.

I'm happy with sound of Dalis but feel that floorstanders would fit in with layout of the new room although am open to all suggestions
I agree with what @Ugg10 said with the Oberon 5 being the obvious upgrade.. but its the price budget you have that puts them just out of reach unless you can pick up an ex demo pair or something. Obviously with the new lockdown coming into effect, going to demo is going to be very very hard indeed.. I would wait for the lockdown to pass if you can before buying, simply so you can go audition and listen to some speakers in person..

Also of note.. just be aware that your pm 6006 only has a limited number of watts available .. 45/8ohm and 60/4ohm .. and that will only go so far.. Those oberon 5's will be a tough load on your amp but at low to mid volume it should still be ok.... where as something like the pmc will make those watts go alot further being alot more sensitive :)

I don’t know if you’re familiar with Leemas speakers?

These are a very fine bargain. Around £1880 new.

As fast and funky as anyone could ever need. And a huge sound for a small speaker.

I own both Spektor 2s and Oberon 5s. The Oberon 5s have all the qualities of the Spektors but with added refinement, extra resolution of detail and the benefits of scale good floorstanders can bring.

I also own a Marantz PM6007, the latest version of your amp. I have tried it with the Oberon 5s and although the combination makes very pleasant sounds, the Marantz doesn't get anything like the best out of the Oberons. An amp with better current delivery, such as my NAD C368 or equivalent, opens the sound up considerably and allows the Oberons to shine.

I own both Spektor 2s and Oberon 5s. The Oberon 5s have all the qualities of the Spektors but with added refinement, extra resolution of detail and the benefits of scale good floorstanders can bring.

I also own a Marantz PM6007, the latest version of your amp. I have tried it with the Oberon 5s and although the combination makes very pleasant sounds, the Marantz doesn't get anything like the best out of the Oberons. An amp with better current delivery, such as my NAD C368 or equivalent, opens the sound up considerably and allows the Oberons to shine.

That sounds about right. The Dalis are not current shy, but the Marantz is.

I don’t know if you’re familiar with Leemas speakers?

These are a very fine bargain. Around £1880 new.

As fast and funky as anyone could ever need. And a huge sound for a small speaker.

i have heard those or a similar leemo model and they're not as detailed as the monitor audio gold GR10 and GS10s. I dont think the tweeters are even as detailed as the 5g MA bronze. Guitar strings are good.

Having done more research and reading the advice on here I am sorely tempted to go for the Oberon 5s with a possible amp upgrade at a later date. Your help is much appreciated

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom