New firmware upgrade for Pioneer DVR-7000

mjk,

thanks for the info,just updated my A104 :)

dvd

What Pioneer don't tell you is that the firmware upgrade is required to prevent the drives literally catching fire if you use them with newer high speed media :eek:

See article in The Register for details.

Michael.

Hi, On Pioneer's advice, I Used the new firmware "R4ta132.exe" to update the firmware on my Pioneer DVR-104 DVDR/RW and at 18% got the message "failed to upgrade the normal part." then "Upgrade program is terminated by occuring an error"

The Firmware has changed from "1.20" to "0000" and the unit is now dead, Window's detects the drive and reports the unit is working correctly, but the tray will not open, no lights on startup, totally dead.

I am awaiting a response from Pioneer.

mij

mij,

are you sure you downloaded the right firmware,there are two.

1)A104
2)104

i have the A104(comes with no software,e.g nero)

hope this helps :)

dvd

I have the DVR-104 which is the OEM model, but the firmware update is the same for the DVR-A04 and the DVR-104 (There is only one for both models) there is another for the DVR-A03 & DVR-103.
I downloaded the file "R4ta132.exe" installed it in window's, it got to 18% and went wrong-result is dead drive.

mij

mij,
sorry never realised, i guess i was so exsited about the A104 being able to write at 4x DVD-R & 2x DVD-RW :D

if push comes to shove you may have to use system restore.
e.g a day before you downloaded the firmware.

dvd

I sorted the problem.

I Phoned Pioneer and was told to post it to them for inspection and repair (they had no solution over the phone), so while I was disconnecting it from the Promise Ultra100 TX2 I quickly connected it to the motherboard IDE controller and reflashed it again, this time it worked perfectly and the drive is fine.

Why it would not flash when connected to the Promise controller card is a mystery to me, as this is how I have always had it connected, and it has always worked perfectly in Ultra DMA mode 2.

mij

Originally posted by dvd
if push comes to shove you may have to use system restore.
e.g a day before you downloaded the firmware.

That won't do anything. System Restore restores Windows settings, software, drivers etc but won't do anything about firmware in a device which is stored on a Flash EPROM on the device itself.

What has happened is that the drive got half way through flashing and something went wrong. What he's left with is a device with, effectively, no firmware in it, so it doesn't know how to re-program itself (or do anything at all). There is no way to solve that unless you take it in somewhere to someone who can re-flash the firmware with an external tool or replace the EPROM chip with one that has good firmware in it.

Michael.

Originally posted by mij
I sorted the problem.

You're very lucky that you were able to do that! Usually a messed up firmware upgrade leaves you with a bunch of spare parts :)

Michael.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom