New Firmware Update - HOME menu now appears whenever a TV channel is opened

reddwarf4ever

Novice Member
Reaction score
Anyone else having this problem since the update ? Every time I choose a TV channel I get the Home Menu bar at the bottom of the screen.....so annoying.......want to stop this happening....

Sorry forgot to say it’s an LGOLED55C9PLA

Last edited:
Just saw this in another thread

Settings > General > Additional Settings > Home Settings > turn off home auto launch

I'm going to request to LF to have 20 minutes of non skippable Disney trailers every time you change channel on the next firmware release

Who’s LF ? 😂😂😂
that will be just like playing a bought Disney DVD, nothing is skippable 🤯

Just saw this in another thread

Settings > General > Additional Settings > Home Settings > turn off home auto launch
Wow, I contacted LG & they said that there was nothing I could do.....thank you so much.....is this a new option ? If not, the firmware update must have enabled it......thanks once again

Perhaps if LG bothered to update their firmware release notes with details of what the updates fix, rather than vague, woolly wording, we would have been able to control the feature without recourse to threads like this, or needing to contact LG.

For my part, I think that the 5.00.22 firmware update has broken Netflix in some way. I now get appalling lip sync problems when trying to watch HD material, yet DV stuff is fine.

Interesting you should say this, because I have the same issue, I have to turn the TV off and on again, then it seems to sort itself out......thanks LG
incidentally LG just replied and rather than tell me where the disable option is, I received the standard, ” try everything” from resetting my router to a factory reset of the TV..” usual crap....so I replied telling them how to fix it....
do you feel this was a new ‘ feature’ with the latest update ? Because I haven’t noticed the settings in additional settings before......

so so wish I could back up my video settings, so complicated, have them all written down.......you can store 15 different favourite Channel settings, but not the video settings...crazy or what ?

P.S. I have asked LG to provide a list of changes with the latest update. Guess I won’t be impressed with the reply

Bit confusing, having multiple threads......saw a post about Netflix lip sync being out, didn’t think it was yours, but somehow my reply ended up here, unless of course the post was deleted..........

yes lip sync out usually when a new episode is started to it’s paused.....

Hmmm. Sounds similar. I’ve reported the issue to LG. I almost know what the response will be — nothing to do with us, you have faulty hardware, blah, blah, blah. Annoyingly, there’s no way to downgrade the new firmware. I like to steer well clear of updates but with the TV constantly nagging that new firmware is available, you eventually give in. This is the first time that a firmware had broken something though. Grrr.

Happening with Disney plus channel, but more freezing, turned TV off and on and then ok.....

Well, what a surprise. LG responded to my email today, and asked me to test everything that I’d already told that I’d already done, and to give them my details so that my TV can be taken away for repair. Just what is the point of a technical support facility if they just ignore what you’ve already told them?

For me, Netflix is broken if I watch something in DV then drop to something in HD — the audio is then way out. If I power cycle the TV and start watching in HD, everything is fine. I can’t see how in any shape or form that this is a hardware issue if only one application is affected. To me, it’s obviously something software-related that’s fixed by a power reset. The problem only started once I’d installed the 5.00.02 update, something LG has totally ignored.

I plan on going back to them and ask them to escalate this to engineering. I don’t really know why I’m bothering, principle, perhaps. I have more chance of growing a second head than getting LG to acknowledge that their update broke something ...

In LGs defence, I think with few exceptions, most companies don’t care about their customers, I have had horrendous problems with Hotpoint, trying to get some very basic info about was cycle times, you would think it was in the official secrets list.......

I asked LG for a complete list of changes in the most recent update, they replied that as they are ‘ after sales support’ they don’t have access to such information 🤮 would think they could ask.......not impressed

Happening with Disney plus channel, but more freezing, turned TV off and on and then ok.....

The in built app was hopeless on my LG B9 but thankfully I have a Shield TV Pro. I found it would frequently open to a blank blue screen needing me to force close the app to get working.

Using Netflix on my Sony BR player sorts-out the HD audio playback issue, but sadly, I then loose DV support -- such titles are only available in HDR. Why is nothing ever straightforward?

What a surprise! LG is blaming Netflix and/or my a/v gear for the Netflix problems that I’m having, rather than their software update. As we we know, LG never releases duff software. I’m challenging their latest response, but I know where this is going, in my case almost certainly a new Sony TV.

Why do they keep updating the tv with broken updates and not allow you to ignore them without getting an annoying message.

Dunno. I complained to LG about this last year, and their best offer was to open a 'Voice Of Customer' (VOC) request, for LG's engineers in Korea to consider. Obviously, it hasn't been considered much, if at all, given that the annoying message still appears.

Panasonic has a similar approach. My Panasonic TV will prompt when a new firmware update is available. If I ignore it, then streaming services like Netflix are broken.

It would appear that not only do manufacturers want you to spend your hard-earned dosh on their kit, they want to control what you do with it. A case of having one's cake and eating it, to my mind.

If the issue irritates you sufficiently, and you don't mind having your time wasted, complain to LG.

LG replied to my Netflix problem report. They’ve basically washed their hands of it, claiming a compatibility issue, a compatibility issue that I only started experiencing after applying the 05.00.02 firmware update. Thanks for the stellar customer support, LG. Thanks for breaking my TV, so that I now have to use an external device in order to watch Netflix without any serious lip sync issues. I’ll be ordering my new Sony TV the moment that I can afford it.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom