New fire - mount the TV?

DSYKES5500

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi all, hope you are well. We have decided to rip out the old stone fireplace and gas fire and replace it with a nice marble fireplace and a modern gas fire. While the room is in a mess and full plaster and decorating to be done, is it a good idea to mount the TV above the fire?

The chimney breast is of brick construction with plaster. At each side of the chimney breast, sunk into the brickwork are large channels that were used for a back boiler - I instantly though "cable runs!".

Now the problem that I have is that I've seen how some of you have "padded" out your chimney breasts using a wooden frame and plasterboard, but never seem to have a fire. Is this a big NO if you have a fire in place?

If I can pad out the chimney breast, by how much should I extend it out so that the screen including the cables and mount are flush with the new wall. Also, where the fire goes, will this need to be extended out using bricks and a lintle so there is no way for the heat to affect the wooden frame? By pulling the fire out a few inches will this make the flue not do its job and cause an issue with carbon monoxide?

Pics are included, the one titled sat down is the one I am worried about too, is the screen too high? If it was to be tilted slightly, you don't have to move your head, just your eyes. The line below the screen is where the new mantlepiece will go, and that's 46" high. The TV is an LG 47" LCD and I've drawn the outline on the wall and filled it in with MS Paint :)

Any help/ideas/objections would be greatly appreciated as it will be stripped ready for plastering on Thursday so if it is a Yes I can get building, if it is a NO then I can forget about it.

Thanks in advance,

Dan

Attachments

• Idea.JPG
    Idea.JPG
    72.9 KB · Views: 309
  • Stood in front.JPG
    Stood in front.JPG
    73.6 KB · Views: 224
  • Sat Down.JPG
    Sat Down.JPG
    79.8 KB · Views: 279
I personally feel the tv is to high, but that is only my opinion. I know everyone has different taste but we moved house 6months ago and as a temporary measure placed the tv above the fireplace ( don't worry we never turned the fire on). Just like you are thinking of doing. Now we have settled in it's time to re-decorate and I have talked the wife into getting rid of the fireplace and building a false wall on the chimney breast and lowering the tv, in the 6 months of having the tv at that height yours is at the moment I never liked it.
But like I said everyone has different tastes!

I have a plasma TV mounted over a fire and its been fine for 3 years. The fire is used every winter. The screen is set back in a recess approx 10cm deep which allows for the mount and thickness of the TV, so the front of the screen is just inside the recess. The recess stops the heat rising into the TV and having checked the temp after my initial concerns it has always been fine. I think you could mount the TV directly on the chimney breast but you could put a shelf under the screen/ above the fire to deflect the heat.
As for height my TV is just over 1m from the floor and I think much higher would be to much but I think people get used to what ever height they set it and it depends how far you are sitting from the screen

In our last house we had our plasma above the fire about the same height as you are suggesting and it all depends on how far back you sit. Our seating was well back and when you lounge on the sofa I naturally look up so it worked great for us. I also got a piece of cardboard and tried it at different heights first to see how I felt sitting normally before committing to wall mounting.

Last edited:
Picture attached

Attachments

• Craigenbay (648 x 486).jpg
    Craigenbay (648 x 486).jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 202

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom