1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Films Coming Soon ! Anybody seen any of them ?

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by dUnKle, Jan 20, 2001.

1. dUnKle

dUnKle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,319
    Just nipped over to PLAY and they seem to have had there first major update.

Listed on the site are a few new films, many of which I have not even heard of, anybody seen anything about the following !

GET CARTER > Is this as bad as I imagine it will be ? I love the original, is this a straight copy or done like SHAFT 2000 was ? Is there a chance that its actually good ?

HIGHLANDER END GAME > Loved the 1st movie, laughed at the next 2. Never seen the TV series, whats this about then ?

PRISONER > Aparantly JACKIE CHAN is in it, so its gonna have a fair bit of action but is it good ? It sounds a little like the old VAN DAM movie DEATH WARRANT !

CONTENDER > This actaully sounds really good, with GARY OLDMAN in bad man form again !

THE WATCHER > ??????????????

2. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    Duncan,

Hope the following info helps:-

"GET CARTER-REMAKE"
    Starring Sly Stallone! This has the word Chronic written all over it, that even a blindman would not fail to see it! As far as I know, it's an exact remake, but updated with more violence, modern expletives, and a line-for-line script of the Michael Caine original. AVOID THIS FILM!!!!

HIGHLANDER: ENDGAME
    An odd one this. Also known as Highlander 4, it is NOT a sequel to Highlander 3, or any of the other Highlander films. In fact, it's actually a movie starring the TV version of McCloud - one Adrian Paul - and is essentially a big-budget, TV episode. However, that is not a put-down, as the TV1 series was actually very good, considering the two movie sequels failed badly! This may well be the movie that re-kindles the Highlander movie series. Definitely one to keep an eye on. Check out the IMDB website for further info.

Pooch

3. General Skanky

General Skanky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    Could Get Carter be that bad?
    I've (shame?) pre-ordered it.
    It's a gamble I know, but I quite like Sly films.
    It also helps as I've never seen the original.

I also added
    The Watcher
    JFK - special Edition
    6TH Day
    Glory - special Edition

------------------
    Douch!!......Wot's da madder, da CIA got you pushing too many penzils?

Work: www.hughes-tv.co.uk

[This message has been edited by General Skanky (edited 20-01-2001).]

4. mysteriousjimmy

mysteriousjimmy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you don't want to watch it then DON'T, let people make up their own mind about the film.
    How do you know what over people like?????

------------------
    mysteriousjimmy's home cinema

5. dUnKle

dUnKle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,319
    Well I like the original and would have considered the new version if it was done in the same style as SHAFT 2000. But if its just a scene for scene, line for line remake I will not bother.

Im gonna order the following

THE CONTENDER
    THE PRISONER
    MEET THE PARENTS
    6TH DAY
    CHARLIES ANGELS
    BEN HUR
    JFK
    and maybe THE WATCHER

Im currently up to over 300 DVDs but my problem is I can not stop buying them, I have around 25 yet to watch and purchased 15 new titles this week alone, I think I have a problem [​IMG] oh well I could be a drug addict I suppose.

Last night I saw VERTICAL LIMIT and it was not very good at all. CLIFFHANGER did it all much better

6. General Skanky

General Skanky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    I was waiting for Vertical Limit. Don't know now. [​IMG]

I know a lot of you go to the cinema, but I don't anymore.
    I know I should really, but to be honest, I'd much rather see a new release at home.

When you go to the flicks and wonder...'Should I watch Charlie's Angels or The Watcher?'....that's how I think when I pre order.

I would have wached all these films at the flicks, if it wasn't for such a comfy alternative I have at home.

------------------
    Douch!!......Wot's da madder, da CIA got you pushing too many penzils?

Work: www.hughes-tv.co.uk

7. dUnKle

dUnKle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,319
    I dont go to the cinema that often, just when the girlfriend wants to go out, its a nice start to the evening but I much prefer getting the film on DVD.

Like I said 300+ titles and out of those I probably only saw about 30 or 40 of them at the cinema.

Something I did see last night though was DUNGEONS AND DRAGONS trailer. Now this looked really rather good and seemed to be just like STAR WARS, proper fantasy stuff, a definate must buy

8. Ono

Ono

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +94
    Dunc,

I saw that D&D trailer. I think it looks rather poor. And, judging by the reviews it's had in the States, the film is bad too.

I dunno if you have seen the new Final Fantasy trailer yet but that does look promising.

9. Black 5

Black 5

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Stuart,

Pi on pre-order? I've had that film a year and you can have my copy for a fiver (it's absolutely garbage IMO). Email me if you're interested.

Can't fault your other choices though [​IMG]

10. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    Mysteriousjimmy wrote: "If you don't want to watch it then DON'T, let people make up their own mind about the film. How do you know what over people like?????"

Woh, Jimmy, calm down!! I don't want to be the cause of another argument/disagreement between myself and another BCC forum user, but I was only giving my point of view, as is "Black 5" in the post directly above this one!

If people choose to see the Stallone "Get Carter" remake, then that's fine. If people choose not to, then that is also fine. I am not trying to force my views on someone else here. It was solely an OPINION! You don't need to take it so personally!

Alternatively, if you want to be like that, then at least have the courtesy to make it a general attack on anyone who says that they like or dislike a film, and not make it an attack on me, which is how your posting has come across.

Now, on a lighter note:-

I too have ordered the "Manhunter Tin Edition" and the 2-DVD "JFK Special Edition" disc. Both are (in my opinion) excellent movies, and I can't wait to see the Director's Cut's of both titles!

Pooch

[This message has been edited by PoochJD (edited 21-01-2001).]

11. StuartBooth

StuartBooth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Duncan,

Your list matches my pre-order list from DV-Depot quite closely. Here's some highlights from my Flexi-Cart:

Courage Under Fire
    Coyote Ugly
    Me, Myself & Irene
    What Lies Beneath
    The Watcher
    Meet The Parents
    Contender
    Way Of The Gun
    Almost Famous
    Wonder Boys
    Bedazzled
    Pi
    Manhunter (tin)
    6th Day
    Charlie's Angels

Also want Requiem For A Dream as this sounds interesting. Oh, and Memento too, but not available for pre-ordering in either case.

------------------
    Stuart Booth
    Somewhere in Buckinghamshire, England, UK

12. plasterman

plasterman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    On the point of Get Carter, I think they should have left it alone. It's not that I don't like Sly as an actor it just that Caine can't be beat. The scene where he order's the two gangsters out of the house with a shotgun in the buff is class. God they'll have sly in a pair of tigerskin pant with an uzi or some thing, oh and he wont be in a council house in gateshead he'll be in some plush penthouse sweet with a supermodel. Poor old Caine he had to have an old minger of a bar maid. So I for one won't touch it even if its got DTS EX and enough extra's to warrant a triple disk box set.

plasterman

13. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I have seen 'The Watcher' at the cinema, nothing special though it's not that bad, say, rather average.
    I would not bother to watch/order Highlander Endgame.
    The first one is a classic (shame about the lousy R1 release), the next 2 were rubbish and hence I will not even try to watch it, not even on VCD for a pound or less.

How about "Red Planet"? Anyone seen it and can comment?

------------------
    Rgds,
    Reiner