1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New film maker wanting help chose the perfect digital camcorder, I beg thee help!

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Making Forum' started by dtb1980, Oct 23, 2003.

1. dtb1980

dtb1980

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers for anyone who reads this, for i need an experienced film makers advice - help.

I need a high quality digital camcorder to begin experimenting with and making films on.

Most reviews i have read are very contradicting - for instance people say the canon xl1-s is awesome and then others slate it for its poor performance in low light. I wouldn't know but spending £2000 on a camera to find it a non performer would be gutting. Please help...

I'm after a camcorder that will give me great image quality. So even after going through the NLE process and then burnt upon a dvd the quality is still amazing.

Offer all manual controls for the iris, focus, colour balance, white balance etc.

Offer 16:9 ratio and any other features that will make the production more cinematic (fps etc)

The camera will need to be able to perform in both well lit and poorly lit environments.

External devices such as mic and monitor must be connectable.

And finally the video footage must be able to be transffered using firewire (ilink etc).

All for about £10 only joking - budget is about £2500.

Thank you all - film a good one!

2. Bl4ckGryph0n

Bl4ckGryph0n
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,463
    I do not know how professional you want to get, I have got a Sony TRV-900E which I bought in I think 1998...This has seperate CCD's, all the external connection capabilities and is still awesome...
    The only drawback for today is that the CCD's are 4:3...I would suggest you get a model with true 16:9 CCD's as the 16:9 modes are useless. They basically just shutdown pixels to get the same effect. An alternative is get an anomorphic lense but I always found them too expensive....
    If I was to buy another pro-sumer (semi pro) camera, I would go for a JVC GR-HD1....This baby can do High Definition relosutions which should keep you busy for a while to come....
    Hey you can amuse us with true 720p footage straight from the reel (sort a speak)......This should be within your £2500 budget...
    I do not know about low-light shooting, but in my experience I would prefer an external lamp for that purpose anyway. That way you get exact control about the lighting....

Do I get you first true 720p movie for this advice? As long as it is nothing illegal by Holland standards ;-)

3. Ayub

Ayub

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +607
    i have a sony pc-dcr-100e and i have to admit i have a unit that i'm very happy about. It even has video in so you can record a analouge source intyo the camera dn then record that via your computer no need for video in card its all fire wire and it was very cheap indeed a replacment in the same region / spec would be about 1 K . have to recommend it

4. JH4

JH4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +261
    The Panasonic DVX100 has a 3 CCD setup, has 50i (625i) and 25P progressive modes. It has XLR inputs that can supply 48V for the mics. A very good camcorder imo. Check the specs and reviews and you may agree.
    Regards

5. torrent

torrent

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have the Canon XM2 (which I adore) but will hold my hands up and say that it's not the best in very low light conditions, with the SONY VX2000 and PD150 being much better options (albeit more expensive).

If you are going into film making then how important is low light shooting anyway? You would probably invest in some lighting for both in- and outdoor filming (various light temperatures).

The XL1S is an excellent camera but can be expensive with all the additional lens costs, etc. I believe the film 28-days was shot using XL1S cameras.

Pop along to the www.dvinfo.net forums. They are an excellent source of information for questions like this.