New Family EV - Any tips/advice?

pastrybloke19

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,

So I am looking to replace my i3 with a new, family sized EV that will be more practical (boot size, etc) and bigger range (circa 200-250miles). Will be getting a lease, so initial cost isn’t a big factor, but having a good/reliable/practical car is. Mini-suv/suv, or state seem the best options, would rather avoid a huge tractor style…..:laugh:

IPace: Friend has one, which they rave about: but also hear some bad reliability issues with Jags too.
Audi Etron Q4: seems like a good option, v big tho.
Tesla: not interested in these.
ID3: friend has one of these and highly rates it, don’t think it is big enough though - maybe id4?

Any other brands/models should make the short list?

Cheers

Hi,

So I am looking to replace my i3 with a new, family sized EV that will be more practical (boot size, etc) and bigger range (circa 200-250miles). Will be getting a lease, so initial cost isn’t a big factor, but having a good/reliable/practical car is. Mini-suv/suv, or state seem the best options, would rather avoid a huge tractor style…..:laugh:

IPace: Friend has one, which they rave about: but also hear some bad reliability issues with Jags too.
Audi Etron Q4: seems like a good option, v big tho.
Tesla: not interested in these.
ID3: friend has one of these and highly rates it, don’t think it is big enough though - maybe id4?

Cheers
I was going to ask a similar question, so rather than start a new discussion, I thought I'd share my short list and see if others can give their feedback.

Very similar requirements to you, except I'm happy with a mid sized hatchback (e.g. ID3). Looking to spend less than £40k and want to take delivery in first half of 2022 (which I think rules out the all electric Megane).

My short list is:
VW ID3
Cupra Born
Kia e-nero

All have the range and fit the price range. Does anyone have other suggestions? Or reasons to delete one of my ideas?

For short-listing, I would look no further than the EV Database. I'm going to be looking at the Cupra Born when it comes out (much more interesting than the ID3), although I hope that VAG have managed to overhaul infotainment concerns the press were originally all over. Really not a fan of touch sensitive controls in a moving vehicle; give me buttons!

The new Korean cars are really good with the Kia EV6 super spacious inside, I mean having sat in one in all of the seats, it's like a tardis! The boot is much more usable on the Hyundai and reportedly more comfortable for journeys. I prefer the looks of the Ionic 5 but of course that's completely subjective.

I too would love the Jag. I attended the UK launch day and spent time in many different spec levels. The road test was supremely impressive got me hooked. I have also heard that some owners are reporting quality issues although I know a couple of owners that say it's been totally faultless in over a year's worth of ownership. £50K for a used one or £850+/mth lease is crazy for the low (<6K/yr) mileage I do. That said I'd simply enjoy it more often than my current petrol car with super low charge-at-home-off-peak running costs and am envious of those who can afford the Jag. They bring a smile to my face whenever I see one.

For short-listing, I would look no further than the EV Database. I'm going to be looking at the Cupra Born when it comes out (much more interesting than the ID3), although I hope that VAG have managed to overhaul infotainment concerns the press were originally all over. Really not a fan of touch sensitive controls in a moving vehicle; give me buttons!

The new Korean cars are really good with the Kia EV6 super spacious inside, I mean having sat in one in all of the seats, it's like a tardis! The boot is much more usable on the Hyundai and reportedly more comfortable for journeys. I prefer the looks of the Ionic 5 but of course that's completely subjective.

I too would love the Jag. I attended the UK launch day and spent time in many different spec levels. The road test was supremely impressive got me hooked. I have also heard that some owners are reporting quality issues although I know a couple of owners that say it's been totally faultless in over a year's worth of ownership. £50K for a used one or £850+/mth lease is crazy for the low (<6K/yr) mileage I do. That said I'd simply enjoy it more often than my current petrol car with super low charge-at-home-off-peak running costs and am envious of those who can afford the Jag. They bring a smile to my face whenever I see one.
EV Database is a nice site, but for some reason it doesn't show the Cupra Born with filters set to what I think should include them. A small detail as I just reset the filter to show all cars by Cupra.

Good for specs comparison, but useless to tell you if the inside feels cheap or poor AV as you mentioned in your post.

I guess I'll have to do a series of test drives when more cars become available.

I'm hoping there is going to be a launch event for SCN members and hopefully it shouldn't be too long until something is announced.

I'm hoping there is going to be a launch event for SCN members and hopefully it shouldn't be too long until something is announced.
I've added a bookmark for SCN. I didn't know that site existed, so thanks!

Thanks for the advice, and esp link to EV database: that looks very useful.

Going to visit a few dealers this week and see if I can create a shortlist.

Lead times will of coruse be crazy……:eek:

We had an ID4 on order which was due 'maybe' to us in June 22 - ordered in November 21 as our Tiguan lease was up then. They said it would probably slip to Aug/Sep 22.

Had it on order until December and then cancelled for a second hand i3. I found the VW range (as we looked at the ID3 too) quite limiting in terms of options you could add if you only needed/wanted the smallest battery (as we do which is why we now have an i3). For example our one was going to have not great looking wheels (superficial i know) and that drab dark grey colour they do (as black was only available on the first edition and the white looks cheap IMO).

Be interested to see how you get on. Good luck.

To be honest most of these are so new it's hard to say what is good/bad. The VW ID 3/4 I have seen some people talking about issues with software, maybe this is already fix or due to be fixed soon.

If you are happy with the i3 then any of these on lease will be fine, pick your colour and go. They will all be more practical in daily use.

Mine is a 2008. It's perfectly good, it's what I could afford on my salary sacrifice.

In fact, I'd say it's great. It's very middle of the road in terms of doing the long journey that I once did in 2016 ;)

Range is, of course, important. But, equally, so is fast charging. 50kwh charging isn't great now. Look for 100 plus if you can.

Other than that I get the sense, with EV's, that there really aren't any bad ones. Just ones that are better at a given price, (insert personal requirements) than others

Cheers
I'm still very happy with my Mustang Mach E. I added some comments in the Mach E thread lower down on this board somewhere.

I was downsizing from a Jag FPace but still wanted something that I could feel passionate about driving, so the iPace was too expensive and interior/styling was too similar to what I already had. Plus Jag were having real issues with production and were quoting a friend 12+ months for delivery of replacement car after their first iPace had a critical failure.

I considered the Kia & Hyundai but personally just not a fan of the looks compared to the Mustang, but I'm probably just a sucker for the marketing/brand style as always had a love for Mustangs (even had one as our wedding car)!

We have moved to the Kia EV6 from the Hyundai Kona.

Would recommend giving it a look/try if there are any available on lease,

Range wise its been about 250 in the worst of weather (Snow Slush Wind),at motorway speeds and 290 in Better weather

But its the charging speed that is the killer feature when you are on longer runs, It is 18mins for 10-80% when using a 350kw charger (Ionity) etc. (Battery does need to be warm to get that).

But even on a 150kw Charger it pulls 135kw from 0-80% and on a 50Kw charger its a full 50kw from 0-90% unlike a lot of cars that only get 40-43 on a 50kw charger due to battery voltage the way the kia and ioniq5 up the voltage to 800v via the motor means the car can max out these chargers all the way.

Well worth a look / test drive.

I'm still very happy with my Mustang Mach E. I added some comments in the Mach E thread lower down on this board somewhere.

I was downsizing from a Jag FPace but still wanted something that I could feel passionate about driving, so the iPace was too expensive and interior/styling was too similar to what I already had. Plus Jag were having real issues with production and were quoting a friend 12+ months for delivery of replacement car after their first iPace had a critical failure.

I considered the Kia & Hyundai but personally just not a fan of the looks compared to the Mustang, but I'm probably just a sucker for the marketing/brand style as always had a love for Mustangs (even had one as our wedding car)!
The Mustang is at the top end of my price range (slight above actually!), but it looks like a very nice car.

We have moved to the Kia EV6 from the Hyundai Kona.

Would recommend giving it a look/try if there are any available on lease,

Range wise its been about 250 in the worst of weather (Snow Slush Wind),at motorway speeds and 290 in Better weather

But its the charging speed that is the killer feature when you are on longer runs, It is 18mins for 10-80% when using a 350kw charger (Ionity) etc. (Battery does need to be warm to get that).

But even on a 150kw Charger it pulls 135kw from 0-80% and on a 50Kw charger its a full 50kw from 0-90% unlike a lot of cars that only get 40-43 on a 50kw charger due to battery voltage the way the kia and ioniq5 up the voltage to 800v via the motor means the car can max out these chargers all the way.

Well worth a look / test drive.
Interesting, thanks.

One other thing about Kia is that there is the option of leather seats. Call me old fashioned, but leather is biodegradable and renewable. Pretty much all the other EVs seem to want to show off that their seats are made of recycled lemonade bottles or some other virtue signalling material.

Interesting, thanks.

One other thing about Kia is that there is the option of leather seats. Call me old fashioned, but leather is biodegradable and renewable. Pretty much all the other EVs seem to want to show off that their seats are made of recycled lemonade bottles or some other virtue signalling material.
Not any more the Kia EV6 has artificial leather as well made from 111 recycled bottles per seat it says

I would prefer leather but these are very comfy and well made

Not any more the Kia EV6 has artificial leather as well made from 111 recycled bottles per seat it says

I would prefer leather but these are very comfy and well made
I've been looking at the Kia e-Niro. The EV6 is slightly too expensive for me.

I will double check it is real leather and not "vegan leather" (whatever that is!)

P.S. I checked and it says "Some parts of the leather upholstery contain faux leather", so mostly real leather I think.

P.S. I checked and it says "Some parts of the leather upholstery contain faux leather", so mostly real leather I think.
When I had an older Kia the parts of the seat you sit/lean on were real leather and the backing (and possibly the sides) were in a closely matched vinyl. Worked well.

I was going to ask a similar question, so rather than start a new discussion, I thought I'd share my short list and see if others can give their feedback.

Very similar requirements to you, except I'm happy with a mid sized hatchback (e.g. ID3). Looking to spend less than £40k and want to take delivery in first half of 2022 (which I think rules out the all electric Megane).

My short list is:
VW ID3
Cupra Born
Kia e-nero

All have the range and fit the price range. Does anyone have other suggestions? Or reasons to delete one of my ideas?
Just ordered an eniro which is arriving in couple months. Looked at id3, enyaq and model 3.have to say was particularly impressed with the space in the niro. Came down to cost as the company niro company car was about 100 a month over 4 years less. One thing in particular I liked was it felt like a familiar car, the others felt like they wanted to be something different, whilst offering no functional improvements

Just ordered an eniro which is arriving in couple months. Looked at id3, enyaq and model 3.have to say was particularly impressed with the space in the niro. Came down to cost as the company niro company car was about 100 a month over 4 years less. One thing in particular I liked was it felt like a familiar car, the others felt like they wanted to be something different, whilst offering no functional improvements
As soon as the current Covid spike starts to fall, I'll be arranging test drives of the e-niro and ID-3. Hopefully there will be some Cupra Born demonstrators around by then too.

The enyaq doesn't offer much over the e-nero, and it's considerably more expensive, so I don't think it will make my short list. To be honest, I much prefer a normal hatchback (or a sporty hatchback) design, so the ID-3 and Born are top of my list on paper.

Just out of interest, in what way is the Enyaq 60 considerably more expensive than the E-niro 2 ((which I assume you'd want at least)? Options I assume?

Just out of interest, in what way is the Enyaq 60 considerably more expensive than the E-niro 2 ((which I assume you'd want at least)? Options I assume?
On the works company car scheme it cost less. Also I believe the kia qualities for rebate, not sure skoda does.

On the works company car scheme it cost less. Also I believe the kia qualities for rebate, not sure skoda does.
Fair enough. They do vary fairly wildly. I chose my 2008 as it was really really cheap. As I posted elsewhere it's now gone up by over £200 a month and I can't see why anyone would choose it over, for example, an Ioniq/Ev6 at the same price.

Exactly, options.

The configuration I'd want comes in over £40k, whereas the e-niro is around £35k. That doesn't mean I can't see why the price is higher, but not everything has value to me.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom