New external HDD

Discussion in 'Xbox One' started by bubs999, Oct 17, 2017.

1. bubs999

bubs999

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +637
    My Seagate 1TB external drive is now full! Time for an upgrade, what do people recommend? Obviously need a decent size and a decent price too.
    Search results didn't give me anything back [emoji52]

2. amardilo

amardilo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,754
    How big a drive do you want?

I think the go to is the Seagate Expansion 2 TB drive (think this might be due to it having been on sale at some point and being the same drive as the officially licensed Seagate Xbox One drive but in a different case and slightly cheaper).

I think Digital Foundry also did a video on it.
    Xbox One 2TB Seagate Game Drive Review

Personally I like to buy the drive separately and then put them in a dock/enclosure. I just bought a 2TB Seagate SSHD (as it caches 8GB of recently used data to make it slightly faster on repeat loads) and a USB 3.0 enclosure. A few years ago I also bought a 8TB 3.5" HDD from Western Digital and put that in a powered enclosure and I have a load of room.

There is a thread on external HDDs that might have some other recommendations - Xbox One External Hard drive

3. Fothy

Fothy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +113
    I'm in the same boat, mine is filling up now and I'm looking to replace soon. I'm thinking of spending the extra and going for a 4 or 5 TB as I'm expecting new games for the one x to be much bigger.

4. fragdude

fragdude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,259
  5. iwb100

iwb100
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,225
    Personally unless you only want a few games on your harddrive at any one time I'd go with a 4TB drive minimum.

Think games can be (and most will be) getting up to 100GB each. You lost 500GB of space from the drive due to the Xbox formatting.

So on a 2TB drive you have 1.5TB free for installs. For 100GB games that is 15 games. But as they receive further normal patches that will soon eat up space. You could be looking at 12 or 14 games only. And given the ability to record 4K clips and save it to your external you'd probably want to keep space for that.

Definitely go 4TB if you can.

6. King Tones

King Tones
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18,392
    500gb lost after a format....hmm are you sure ?
    I use a 2tb drive that I recently formatted and don't recall seeing that much being lost.

7. iwb100

iwb100
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,225
    Having just researched it, think what you lose is proportionate to the size of the drive. My mistake.

8. Waynej

Waynej

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,364
    As far as external 4K game captures are concerned, last I read these will not record to an external drive that is formatted for Xbox games usage.

I know currently we can record upto 1 hour of gameplay using an external media HDD, so a drive that you typically use for PC to move videos and music around, etc. Hopefully the 1 hour limit for 4K captures on X is still an option.

The only downside is that any captures that record to an external drive will not sync up to Xbox Live for sharing via. the console.

It's a shame this recording-length extension won't work on the internal 1TB drive, even if it disabled Live sharing. That HDD is going to be pretty redundant if I use my 4TB external for games and another drive for lengthier game clips.