New extension - speaker layout - suggestions please!

Jaffaman

Standard Member
Reaction score
TL;DR: Do I put L&R at the blue or yellow triangles? Do I put rears at red or purple triangles?

Hi all, newbie post here. I've dabbled with surround sound setups for many a year now between budget floor standers as a student, to something more discreet and small form factor in the lounge at present (though massive compromise on placement). We are having a new extension built, and I'd like to get things as good as I can from the get go particular around speaker placement. I do however have to make compromises with style, layout, budget etc to keep Mrs Jaffaman happy (style, no floor standers or indeed floor stands, unobtrusive etc)!

I'm aiming for a Dolby Atmos 5.1.2 setup. What I would really like some advice on is positioning of the fronts and rears if you would be so kind!

Mrs J had particular niggles with the centre channel - she wanted this wall mounted and not sat on a unit beneath the TV. I've therefore gone for a Monitor Audio Apex A40 (second hand ebay). Personal preference I know, but I didn't like the boxy look of the MA Radius 225 on the wall when I saw some at a local Sevenoaks. This has then determined to some extent the remains of the setup. Either side, L&R, I'm going for some MA A10s (bought on here). Rears are still TBC - for now and for budget I was looking for some MA Radius 45s, but open to suggestions.

As you can see from the sketch below (attached?), I'll have about a foot either side of the TV (green box on the right hand side - 65" probably an LG G1 OLED) before narrow (50cm) windows and then another foot to the wall at either side. The wall behind the TV is 2.1m. So do I place the L & R channels at the location of the yellow triangles or blue triangles? I didn't think I'd get very good stereo imaging at the location of the yellow ones given the viewing distance so preferred blue locations - but acknowledge this is in the corner. Is this less of an issue with front ported A10s though? Corner (blue) would also probably work better for Mrs J (less obtrusive).

Rears, can be a bit more flexible, but would you suggest on the wall behind the listener (red), or at the back and to the side angled in (purple)? Again, there's about a foot on the returning wall.

In-ceilings - 2/3rds back from the screen I've been informed is pretty optimal. Open to recommendations as to the speakers themselves or alternate positioning.

Subwoofer - open to suggestions to location and the sub itself. Styling will also determine where it can go. I'd be happy going bottom right in the image. Mrs J may prefer to move the sofa away from the bifolds and tuck in the top left if it's not a looker.

AV receiver - I've not put much thought to yet but I do like the Denons and have been impressed ever since I had one of their stereo units years ago. I'm probably going to budget £600 for now and it may be reserved for an upgrade in the future.

For now, I just need to make sure I'm getting all the wiring concealed and to the right places! I'll worry about upgrades in the future.

Many thanks in advance. Please be gentle :)

Speaker layout.JPG

Last edited:
So having scaled off the drawing, the angle from a central listening position to the blue speakers is 22° which seems about right. Thus to the yellow would likely to be too narrow. Opinions still welcome.

As it is not a dedicated room your challenge is always going to be the aesthetic / performance balance.

Personally, I would go as per your thoughts at the front - Blue Triangles
Evenly space your in-ceiling, Blue Circles to tie in with either lighting plan or evenly spaced between wall and roof lantern.
Rears, I would position to line up with you in-ceilings, so the aesthetically create a straight vision line that runs to the front wall and is perpendicular to the front wall.

Actually, if your drawing is dimensionally correct, it looks like the front wall windows are centred on the ceiling space between the roof lantern and side walls (good archictect!) so I would use the centre of those windows as your sight line for lights, ceiling speakers and rear's. Performance wise it will sound good and aesthetically it will look good too.

Chris, AAC

Thanks Chris - yes, the drawing is to scale (amateurly done in Word, but it works!).

Thanks for the comments - oddly enough, the architect had the lantern in a different place and no windows on the front wall. I'd like to take some credit for the current layout, however, it's probably 50:50 luck: judgement!

I like your idea of the symmetry/straight line vision as you propose - thank you for that. Definitely something I will try implement.

lol, have a virtual beer on me!

If the ceiling is not in yet, get some photos of the roof structure and joists and potently get the builder / electrician to measure out the distance from walls the void will be for the ceiling speakers.

Helps massively when ready to cut big hole in with out hitting woodwork.

Cheers!

Yes - good idea. It is currently exposed roof structure (awaiting the lantern!). Will definitely measure out joist spacings and record. Lots of wire running to be done in due course! I'll be making sure not to run them parallel to any electrical cables too!

As you can see from the sketch below (attached?), I'll have about a foot either side of the TV (green box on the right hand side - 65" probably an LG G1 OLED) before narrow (50cm) windows and then another foot to the wall at either side. The wall behind the TV is 2.1m. So do I place the L & R channels at the location of the yellow triangles or blue triangles? I didn't think I'd get very good stereo imaging at the location of the yellow ones given the viewing distance so preferred blue locations - but acknowledge this is in the corner. Is this less of an issue with front ported A10s though? Corner (blue) would also probably work better for Mrs J (less obtrusive).
I think blue is better, and since your other half likes blue too, that'll do :)

Rears, can be a bit more flexible, but would you suggest on the wall behind the listener (red), or at the back and to the side angled in (purple)?
For a 5.x.x, these are you wides as well as your rears, so go for the purple.

In-ceilings - 2/3rds back from the screen I've been informed is pretty optimal.
The in-ceilings location should be based on the seating location, not room length. For Atmos, I think you want somewhere just in front of your heads (like over your knees), but you could check the dolby guidelines.

Subwoofer - open to suggestions to location and the sub itself.
You can't tell the best location from a drawing (although inputting the layout into REW can help), it usually takes trial and error. Depending on how much effort you're prepared to go to, and how good you want it to sound, you may consider 2 subs (possibly adding the second in the future). That's not to add more bass, but rather to help give and even bass response, so it sounds good.

Styling will also determine where it can go. I'd be happy going bottom right in the image. Mrs J may prefer to move the sofa away from the bifolds and tuck in the top left if it's not a looker.
Away from the back wall, towards the screen would be good for audio and a larger looking image.

AV receiver - I've not put much thought to yet but I do like the Denons and have been impressed ever since I had one of their stereo units years ago. I'm probably going to budget £600 for now and it may be reserved for an upgrade in the future.
Maybe consider a second hand Denon from this forum, there are a lot of good options.

Hello!

If you're at the stage of joists are in but no ceiling - be sure to consider your backboxes for your speakers.

You can use acoustic/fire hoods but a better solution is a fixed back box which will assist the acoustics massively.

Alternatively, you can build your own acoustic boxes (to a set volume/litres) based on the manufacturers recommendations.

Are you going for a warm or a cold roof system?

Ref positioning - you would ideally have 26 degrees (the range spec'd is 22-30 degrees).
Likewise - your ATMOS channels would want to be ideally be in-line with your fronts/rears but practically this doesn't always work. Remember - it's not a dedicated space, so close to optimum is absolutely good enough :)

For your rears - I'd go purple - the wider the better as your sofa is on the back wall amost :)

Hope this helps!

1639772193457.png

Attachments

• 1639772141109.png
    1639772141109.png
    106.8 KB · Views: 41
Hi, your room layout is almost identical to mine. Which is quite restrictive. I prewired for 7.1.4. and totally glad I did.
Would it be possible to do another 2 or 4 in the ceiling for future use? It’s quite a large room and may need the extra speakers. Just leave the cables long and worry about spacing later

Flipped 180, your room is like mine. Although no sky lantern in the middle, that lantern is in the extension.

I wired in for 7.1.4

If you keep two in ceiling, then you might want to move them closer to the sofa. Believe most go for above their knees in a 5.1.2 setup.

Sub location is hard to guess. You can download REW and use their simulator (free) to add listening position and see where you get best response. Or, what I did, wire for subs in all four corners, although with plenty of slack and then you can try different locations once it's all in. Also opens up the possibility of dual subs.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom