1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New equipment advice needed

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Loony, Jan 3, 2003.

1. Loony

Loony

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am planning to buy a new av system - my current thoughts are:

DVD - Yamaha DVDS520 - £130 multi region
    Amp - Kenwood 4060 - £200
    Speakers - Eltax Mirage 5 speaker package - £250

This comes to £580 if I buy from richer sounds (I have a 200 quid buy back on my old dvd from there). I can stretch to another 100 quid or so in my budget but I'm not sure where to spend it.

I will be using the system 50/50 for movies and music so stereo playback quality is as important as multichannel (I'll be using the dvd player for cds too). My other kit is a panny sky box and a 28" JVC widescreen. I have a pretty small room which is an awkward shape so its hard to position the speakers well.

Does this sound a sensible system or can anyone recommend better choices?

2. sounddog

sounddog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +477
    If Music is important along with movies, would be worth looking at (listening to) the Marntz SR4200 - £200 - and, probably within budget too, the SR5200.

I personally have the SR5200 and found that it was better for Music than the Sony 930 I had before (though still beaten by a £220 stereo NAD.

If you can stretch to it ... if you are playing back CDs a lot ... then see if you can afford a dedicated CD player - even a £100 Sony CD will be much better sounding than the DVD player is.

Victoria

3. mandlebrot

mandlebrot
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I agree with sounddog for £200 forget the Kenwood and get the Marantz SR4200. It beats the Kenwood hands down for movies and music alike.

4. Loony

Loony

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the advice, I have decided to forget the Kenwood receiver but I'm still not sure exactly what to go for:

DVD - Yamaha DVDS520 - £130 multi region

Amp
    - Marantz 4200 £200
    - Marantz 4300 £260
    - Denon 1602 £220
    - Denon 1802 £250
    - Denon 1603 £300

Speakers - Eltax Mirage 5 speaker package - £250

Does anyone know how these amps compare? And has anyone tried these speakers I haven't seen a review anywhere?

5. sounddog

sounddog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +477
    Well if music is important for you ... go for the Marantz. The Denon is probably marginally better with Movies but the Marantz is significantly better for Music.

The difference between the 4200 and the 4300 is that the latter has DTS-ES Discrete as well as Matrix decoding - weather this is important is upto you - do you intend to have the 6th rear centre channel?

The DVD player would be find, but also look at Toshiba and Pioneers around the same price.

I've never heard the Eltax package you've meantioned ... but both Eltax and Gale regularly get recomended with entry level systems ... though the Marantz would also suit higher end speakers - maybe look at Misson M7 series, Wharfedale 8.x series and Tannoy m series.

Victoria

6. Loony

Loony

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Many thanks, sounds like Marantz 4200 is the best choice. My room is an awkward shape so getting the speakers positioned in an ideal position is not possible. Does anyone know whether the Marantz receiver allows you to set individual delay times etc. for each speaker independently?

7. mandlebrot

mandlebrot
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It allows you to setup delays for fronts, center and rears but has far has I remember it won't let you set the delay for say front right differen't to front left has they can only be set has a pair.

8. sounddog

sounddog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +477
    I know the SR5200 lets you set defferent left/Right delays ... don't know about the SR4200 though.

Can you download a manual from Marantz's website?

Victoria

9. RL123

RL123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I've got the 4200 - front and rear speakers volumes can be adjusted individually.

Front distances (and the centre too) can be done seperately but the rears cannot

10. RL123

RL123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    And it's a brilliant piece of kit too. Everything I have used it for has impressed me so far - movies, music and games. If you're looking for a budget receiver, then IMHO you won't find a better one than this for £200

OT - Anyone else think Pro Logic 2 is just excellent? It's given a new lease of life to my VHS collection and Sky/regular TV sounds so much better too

11. Loony

Loony

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The lack of separate delay times on the rears is a problem for me as the shape of the room means that 1 rear is 3 ft closer than the other. Does anyone know an alternative good affordable amp that has this feature?