Question New Epson TW5300 or used TW3200?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Kootuu, Jun 26, 2017.

1. Kootuu

Kootuu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Hi, just venturing into my first projector setup and not entirely sure which direction to go down. I've got quite a limited space to play with, the projector would be about 2.6m from the screen, and having looked at some DLP's in person I noticed the rainbow's straight away, so it'll have to be an LCD projector.

The latest model that fits my needs is the Epson TW5300 but I'm open to buying some used which led me into the TW2900/3200 route as it's similarly priced.

Is it worth buying an older projector? Reading about the 3200 specifically people mention dust blobs. Having never bought a projector I've no idea how long they are designed to last, or is it simply the case they keep chugging along and it's a matter of replacing bulbs?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Chris

2. Mallardo

Mallardo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +440
    Hi Chris
    I have recently bought a used older LCD projector. I waited a long time for a suitable one and did a LOT of research and there are bargains to be had if you are patient. With anything electronic you are taking a gamble buying second hand, especially so with projectors as they have a lot of things that can go wrong if not looked after properly! However, for me I thought it was worth the risk as I can't afford a new one and I now have a Sanyo PLV-Z2000 full hd with about 800hrs on the original bulb that cost £200. As I only use the projector for at most 1 or 2 films a week it should be good for a few years assuming nothing goes wrong.

The Sanyo's are decent machines that got good reviews when new and are a good bet if you are concerned about dust blobs as they come with a dust blower and special access holes to the RGB panels for cleaning purposes. This is something that the Epson models do not have, meaning you may have to take the machine apart to get rid of them. Depending on how comfortable you are dismantling your delicate electronic equipment, this may or may not be a problem! It's worth noting that dust blobs are sometimes very faint and can only be seen when the screen is completely dark, and not at all when there is an image on screen, so they are not necessarily the kiss of death for your movie enjoyment.

In conclusion, things to look out for if buying a used projector are 1. whether the seller has owned since new, 2. if the lamp is original and 3. how many hours are on the lamp. This will give you a good idea of how much actual use the projector has had, assuming the seller is telling the truth of course. ;)

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • List
  3. Kootuu

Kootuu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Hey! Thanks for the super helpful info. I hadn't even considered Sanyo but looking at the Z2000/3000 they look like they'd meet my needs perfectly in terms of throw distance etc.

I'min a similar situation to yourself, will only be using it a couple of times a week (if that), so happy to take a punt on something used if it looks like it's been well looked after.

Will keep an eye out for any used Sanyo's so thanks for letting me know about them!

Chris

4. Mallardo

Mallardo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +440
    No problem Chris. I'm really pleased with mine. The throw distance and lens shift makes it really flexible when it comes to placement. It is not the brightest projector, so you may want to consider how much control you will have over the light in the room, however I have found it to be fine with a moderate amount of ambient light even in eco mode, and when the room is dark it is excellent. I prefer to run it in eco mode to prolong the life of the bulb, and it is super quiet too.
    Happy hunting!

5. jfinnie

jfinnie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,837
    Sanyo PJs have a non-resettable projector hours counter, you can use that to see if the lamp hours add up. Accessed by holding the power button for an extended period I recall. Shame JVC and Epson don't learn from this. Anyone would think they were trying to ruin the second hand market... ;)

Try and see a second hand projector in the flesh. I've travelled significant distance to buy every unit I've bought but I've avoided buying a couple of duds as a result. Old age problems which are visible usually manifest as discolourations on white or blue screens; some are caused by polariser burn and some by optical elements shifting due to age / heat / hanging upside down etc.

6. Kootuu

Kootuu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Thanks for the replies, much appreciated.

Found a used Epson TW4400 that's in my price bracket, but it was used at a sound editing company so it was run about 30-40 hours per week for a couple of years, so let's say conservatively it's been "running" about 6000-8000 hours.

No idea if that means the internals would be a bit iffy? happy to replace the bulb obviously.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2017
  7. Mallardo

Mallardo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +440
    That is a lot of hours! Although if it is still going strong it must be a well constructed machine. A new bulb will set you back £100 too. Unless the price reflects the usage, I would keep looking.

8. Kootuu

Kootuu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Yea that's what I was thinking. Projector gets great reviews but that's a lot of hours priced at £500.

9. Mallardo

Mallardo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +440
    Yeah, it might end up costing closer to £650 with a new bulb. £500-£600 budget puts you in the market for some real bargains on the classifieds here, most of which have been owned by enthusiasts in dedicated home cinema set ups.