Question new epson tw5300 blured slightly one side

cypher007

Established Member
Reaction score
guess the honeymoons over. noticed looking at my pc desktop the clock is blurred slightly, I can improve it but then the right goes out. is this normal?

could I have the projector slightly off square to the wall, or does this not make any difference?

spoke to Epson via chat. they seem to want to get the proj in for replacement. is this worth doing or could I end up with one that's worse?

If it was me i'd let them replace it. That's the great thing about being so early into the warranty.

I'm unfortunately on the other end of the scale, my 3200 has had a recurring problem but since i'm out of warranty they only want to send it to the local service agents, a process which takes three weeks at a go and it still comes back not working properly.

thought id share some photo's of the output to see if I'm expecting too much. I don't want to send it back and end up with a worse one in exchange.

DSC03111.jpg
[/URL]

[/IMG]

as you can see the clock area is the worse. when I look at it my eyes want to try and focus on it. the focus was optimised for the centre of the screen.

Looks pretty good to me. I can see what you mean, but it looks quite good as far as these things go.

You're sure your screen is dead flat? If it isn't you can have part of the image out of focus, just like if the PJ isn't square to the screen.

If it is all flat - the blur could be inherent in the lens (photographic lenses will often have a soft corner, with differing copies of a lens having different corners to varying degrees). It could also look blurry because of the panels not aligning in that corner. You can test for panel convergence using the following images:

Horizontal:
http://m0.i.pbase.com/o4/78/287278/1/73494790.InJLxb3Z.ConvergenceHorzLines.jpg
Vertical:
http://m2.i.pbase.com/o4/78/287278/1/73494792.r9nfIEml.ConvergenceVertLines.jpg

At the end of the day these things turn into a fine judgement. I think with Epson what comes out to you is usually a guy with a "refurbished" unit. Depending on your view you may prefer something that has been checked recently, or you may feel that you only want a factory fresh unit that hasn't been apart already. You might get a better unit. I don't have any personal experience of Epson service.

I was told it would be a new unit. ill try those images when I get a minute. I'm just a bit wary of ending up with a proj that's worse then trying to get my old unit back or something.

if I'm watching movies I don't notice it unless I have subs on. when I look at that corner I find my eyes hunting for focus. my eyes are quite sensitive to stuff like this I have rbe which is why I bought an lcd.

That looks absolutely fine to me. I have seen far, far worse and rarely have seen any better.

You've got to spend an awful lot of money to get a projector with top-notch optics.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom