New Epson EMP-TW2000 50.000:1 dynamic contrast

Tribeless

Standard Member
Looks marvelous. No mention of whether is both supports and displays 24fps though :)

Without that I'll still be looking to exchange, ultimately, my TW1000 for the Mits. next generation machine (and if the eye strain issue doesn't sort itself out, that will be as soon as the new Mits. is on the market, or as money will allow. Unless, of course, sigh, Epson issue a firmware fix for the TW1000, if possible, and if they ever get back to their customer base.

Oh dear, has ended up a rant. Sorry.

kallagtunet

Standard Member
Here is the spec

Attachments

• epson_tw2000_spec.gif
    epson_tw2000_spec.gif
    44.5 KB · Views: 206

gandley

apology for the duplicate thread. I missed this one. Nice PJ.

Evidently with 4500:1 Native CR. would like to see that confirmed, but if so thats a nice new high for LCD.

Neil Davidson

AVForums Sponsor
HI Gents,

I am at IFA and had the pleasure of observing my friend Tom Vanthuyne calibrate the demo TW2000.

There was some noticeable shading but it was a very uniform fade from red (I seem to recall) to blue. Not as good as DLP but a lot better than pretty much every other LCD projector I have seen in this regard.

The unit we had tracked quite well once we got over a couple of technical issues with the pattern generator we were using!!!

The contrast on the calibrated unit measured about 3200:1 which is fantastic. Sadly Epson then turned on the fridge in the room (?) which had powerful lights which dropped the contrast way down.

Picture performance could easily be described - a TW1000 with even better black levels. Colour primaries and saturation were about as good as I have seen on any PJ sub £15k. Good work by Epson, now we just need to wait and see if the 24P issues are sorted.

Tribeless

Standard Member
Thanks for this report Neil.

The blacks: are they really 'stand out striking', noticeably better than the TW1000?

Is the sharpness of the image any better than TW1000 (moving toward the Mits. HC5000), or does it still have that real softness about it?

And yes, the 24fps issue: huge. A full report on that if you can. Also, while you have Epson's ear, perhaps show them this thread. As a TW1000 owner getting bad eye strain (which I am now attributing to judder) I would dearly love to see a fix to the TW1000, as I will not be in a position to move to a new projector, again, anytime soon.

Look forward to your updates (and why does everybody seem to have a better job than me :) )

TrevorS

Picture performance could easily be described - a TW1000 with even better black levels. Colour primaries and saturation were about as good as I have seen on any PJ sub £15k. Good work by Epson, now we just need to wait and see if the 24P issues are sorted.

Try reading this translation (24fps problem solved :))!:

http://babelfish.altavista.com/babe.../Specials/TW2000Japan/TW2000Worldpremiere.htm

This text is found aprox 2/3 the way down:
Cine4Home said:
2.4.5 further improvements

As already described the main advantages of the new EMP-TW2000 lie particularly in the clearly increased contrast, which is to break the 50,000:1 mark for the first time by means of the adaptive screen. All other technical characteristics as well as the operation were maintained, so that no large changes are to be expected here. A few Boni keeps however still ready the TW2000: On the connection side it offers now a second HDMI entrance (likewise HDMI 1,3), so that also without switching box now several digital sources can be attached. Besides the user can select signal now with fed 1080/24p whether he the film ruckelfrei with 2:2 Pulldown in 48Hz and/or 96Hz on the canvas wants to enjoy, or after conventional 3:2 Pulldown in 60Hz. particularly worth mentioning is besides the support of the new xv-Farbraumes, a new video standard initiated by Sony, which an increased and so that is to ensure cinemanear color area. Is still unclear, when it ever software, speak features, after which will give new standard on the market, but is prepared nevertheless the TW2000 here for all eventualities.

Also, from a UK source:
http://whathifi.com/home-cinema/arc...s-new-projectors-look-to-cover-all-bases.aspx

WhatHiFi said:
Last but far from least is the EMP-TW2000 (above), complete with its 'look at me' 50 000:1 claimed contrast ratio. It's a full HD, 1920 x 1080 resolution projector that's capable of displaying 1080p content at the optimum 24 frames per second.

Boasting a wealth of Epson's proprietary software such as Deep Black technology, the second generation 3LCD panel and 12 bit colour processing, it also offers two HDMI 1.3 connections. If you like the sound of that, start saving – it's set to retail somewhere around £2500-£3000 mark.

Tribeless

Standard Member
Yep, I should have waited about six months to buy my projector :(

Neil Davidson

AVForums Sponsor
Just to backup the above. 24fps support on this model has been confirmed by me!!!

The black level is very good but very difficult to say how much better it subjectively looks without side by side comparison with the TW1000.

Tribeless

Standard Member
Neil: and sharpness of the image, compared with the Mits. HC5000?

M

morkys

Neil: and sharpness of the image, compared with the Mits. HC5000?

Yes, this is key. I am hoping the TW2000 is very sharp. My only concerns with the TW1000 are sharpness and colour uniformity.

TrevorS

It looks as though the US model should be available in December with an expected price of $2700 (Epson rep at IFA said November for the TW2000 with a price of 3500 Euro):

http://www.electronichouse.com/article/epson_projector_pumps_1080p_for_under_3k/C157/

Epson Projector Pumps 1080p for Under $3K

The extremely affordable PowerLite Home Cinema 1080 UB promises sky-high HD at groundbreaking prices.

Epson Projector Pumps 1080p for Under $3K
The extremely affordable PowerLite Home Cinema 1080 UB promises sky-high HD at groundbreaking prices.

We love it when companies try to top themselves. Not only is Epson coming out with a new PowerLite projector, but they've knocked down the price the starting price. Take that, giant multiplex!

The PowerLite Home Cinema 1080 UB boasts a native 1080p resolution, which means killer high-def images. The picture may leave you in awe, but at $2,699, the price tag should bring a smile to that stunned face.

The unit boasts a 50,000:1 contrast ratio and 1,600 ANSI lumens in a 3LCD chipset. It's also got two HDMI inputs to hook up your favorite game console or other A/V device, which can be projected anywhere from 30 to 150 inches in size.

Don's start firing up the PlayStation just yet; the PowerLite Home Cinema 1080 UB won't be available until December. You can, however, start frothing for the optional add-ons, which will include a ceiling mount, a Panamorph Anamorphic lens kit, replacement lamps and a HQV video processor.

I think I've probably identified my new projector -- going to be a devil of a wait though :(!

meva

Epson have sent out a press release with a US msrp of $2699, if they try to charge £2500 for it in the UK then I may vomit.:mad: Even allowing for rip off Britain the srp should be no more than £2k including vat.

TrevorS

It appears they've retracted the $2700 U.S. price. Don't know what the story is, but if it's going up, I hope not by much :(!

Tribeless

Standard Member
Perhaps they're trying to make extra profit from the TW2000 so they can afford to go back and then fix up that little 'issue' for their poor old TW1000 customers, Trevor.

henry1234

this is it, this is the one, finally everything I wanted

24fps @48hz or 96hz:smashin:
full hd, no scaling artifacts:smashin:
good contrast:smashin:
flexible mounting:smashin:
quiet:smashin:
good de-intelacing for SD:smashin:
cheap:smashin:

please let there not be some software clitch, silly overscan, quality control issue, dodgy batch, manufacturing error or design fault

apology if already posted review link:
http://www.projectorcentral.com/epson_cinema_1080.html

please let there not be some software clitch, silly overscan, quality control issue, dodgy batch, manufacturing error or design fault

This review is for the Epson EMP-TW1000, it's just got a different name in the states. The EMP-TW2000 should be far superior

Perhaps they're trying to make extra profit from the TW2000 so they can afford to go back and then fix up that little 'issue' for their poor old TW1000 customers, Trevor.

So what's so bad about the TW1000? I thought it got rave reviews?

Tribeless

Standard Member

Not so quick. Check out the sharpness of image verse, say, the Mitsubishi equivalent (which will be the HC6000). I'm beginning to think that another hugely important area, and I've gone from preferring better contrast (Epson) over sharpness, to not being quite so sure ... (yes, I'm still trying to figure what it is about my TW1000 that is giving me eyestrain).

kallagtunet

Standard Member
Hello here is some information from the Japanese pages on the new Epson in Japanese.

http://www.epson.jp/products/dreamio/emptw2000/

It looks like it is has the possibility to adjust to right colors (both grayscale and gamut (full CMS)) and an adjustable gamma curve. Maybe JVC should hire some engineers from Epson : - )

For those that do not read Japanese (like me) here is a link to a translation tool…

Http://babelfish.altavista.com/babelfish/tr

PS Click into the eight "sub pages" to get a description of the features in more detail.

TrevorS

nathankemp said:
So what's so bad about the TW1000? I thought it got rave reviews?

It surely does have lots of great reviews, I've a thick stack of them printed off on my desk :)! I almost bought it twice and all that slowed me down was the 60fps display issue with a 1080p24 input. That caused me to decide to hold off until CEDIA, but the TW2000 actually showed up first at AFI.

So I'm now waiting for the latest U.S. incarnation which was announced at $2700 for December at CEDIA, but then the price was retracted. I'm going just a little bit bonkers at this point :(!

It does not accept or display a 1080p24 signal, and probably will never do so, which will induce a picture judder when watching a HD-DVD or BD disc.

Correction -- it DOES accept 1080p24 input, but it converts it to p60 for display.

Many/most don't report noticing a judder issue, probably something that depends on individual sensitivities. I probably wouldn't be bothered by it since I'm used to 60fps, but the TW2000 shows every indication of being a significant step forward, and so it only makes sense I wait this transition period out.

The latest video from AVForums

LG G1 OLED Evo TV and SVS SB-1000 Pro subwoofer reviews, Samsung OLED rumours and more...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

What's new on UK streaming services for May 2021
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Samsung's 110-inch Micro LED TV on pre-order at Harrods
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Bang & Olufsen introduces Beosound Emerge speaker
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Sony launches native 4K VPL-VW290ES and VW890ES projectors