• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

New EPG launches at the end of this month

mattclarkie

Distinguished Member
Just relaying what Jeremy Darroch said. Maybe he though it was February already.

I think that is probably the case.

I've looked through the official release (text), all I can find is the reduction of the Sky+HD box to £49 to all customers. No mention of the EPG in there as far as I can see.

Tarbat

There is mention of the new EPG in the PDF download pack along with another picture of the new EPG. I'll continue watching the webcast to see if there's a Q&A session.

mattclarkie

Distinguished Member
There is mention of the new EPG in the PDF download pack along with another picture of the new EPG.

As a future development.

I love how they boast the box is currently Ethernet Enabled. Having an ethernet port and being Ethernet enabled are different IMO.

But thanks for the details, an interesting read.

James Payne

Good morning to you all.

Just downloaded & skimmed through the above PDF file.

I notice with the picture of the new EPG , it now has the 4 coloured shortcut buttons at the bottom of the screen. From memory , when initial shots of the new EPG were released from testers onto the forum , these were certainly not there.

Possibly just one of the improvements implemented during this long wait.

Regards James

robfosters

Can someone answer me this?

There is a line which states:
At a headline box price of £49, we estimate an incremental cost of adding a
Sky+HD customer (either new to Sky or existing customer upgrades) of £100. This cost is fully recovered within 12 months through the ongoing monthly revenue from the HD pack subscription.

Now the £100 includes box and installation, the channels dont come into it. The HD pack is an extra £10 per month. So if I am willing to pay that again, why can I not have a second HD box for £49. I would'nt need installation. Just does'nt make sense to me. In fact, I would actually be willing to pay £100, but £199 is just too expensive for me.

branny

why can I not have a second HD box for £49. I would'nt need installation. Just does'nt make sense to me. In fact, I would actually be willing to pay £100, but £199 is just too expensive for me.

Agreed mate. I'd replace my multi room Sky plus at £49 or £100. But I aint paying £199 or another £10 a month for a second HD sub.

robfosters

For those who have seen the slideof the new EPG. Can anyone hazard a guess at what the symbols at the top are from left to right starting at the one that looks like the sky box transport led's.

robfosters

Do you know this for sure? As long as you have a hd box on the same subscription, you cannot get a box for £49. Thats how I understand it anyway.

Bachstrad

Do you know this for sure? As long as you have a hd box on the same subscription, you cannot get a box for £49. Thats how I understand it anyway.

It may well be true .... after all it's £10 extra for Multiroom and an additional £10 HD sub for Multiroom. So that's £20 extra sub income for Sky per month and over a year that £240 will more than compensate for the box subsidy.

ATB

Max

SHATNERSTACTIC

For those who have seen the slideof the new EPG. Can anyone hazard a guess at what the symbols at the top are from left to right starting at the one that looks like the sky box transport led's.

b7996c38f2ce4df0b24c0fc7952461a0.jpg

at a guess L-R : TV Guide, Planner/Recordings Library, No Idea!, Box Office, Interactive?, Audio Settings, Search, Parental control?

Last edited:

robfosters

It may well be true .... after all it's £10 extra for Multiroom and an additional £10 HD sub for Multiroom. So that's £20 extra sub income for Sky per month and over a year that £240 will more than compensate for the box subsidy.

ATB

Max

Not true at all. Just spoke to Sky and they confirmed that you must have no HD boxes at all to get the box cheaper than £199.

agsw88

Banned
Interested in this aswell Rob.

I bought My own HD box from Sky just over a year ago. I have now cancelled the HD sub (last month) If I take up the service again am I entitled to a HD box for £49

andy845

b7996c38f2ce4df0b24c0fc7952461a0.jpg

at a guess L-R : TV Guide, Planner/Recordings Library, No Idea!, Box Office, Interactive?, Audio Settings, Search, Parental control?

It's not quite that simple, the menu rolls around so what's visible here is not the whole menu.

From the video linked earlier in the thread we can confirm the first 7 as

Tv Guide, Planner, Anytime, Box Office, Interactive, Radio, Search. Then there are 3 further icons which i'd guess are Parental Control, ??? and Settings.

epg.jpg

Any guesses as to what the MSN like avatar might be?

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom