New EPG - Is it only for HD Customers?

SpencerUp

Novice Member
Whats the situation with this? I have heard rumours about a new EPG that is slowly becoming available to Sky customers, one person i know claims he already has it?

Is this only for HD Customers? I had a new Sky + box installed only on Tuesday, and having seen screenshots of the new EPG, I desperately want it installed on my box!!!

Anybody able to shed any light on the matter? :thumbsup:

SpencerUp

Novice Member
Well, I have just read the PDF - Press release, it seems £49 for the HD box is for all customers, not just new ones, I guess once they have a few more HD Channels I will start to consider the offer.

Hippogriff

Novice Member
Let's face it, Sky would, in fact, be pretty daft if they made the new swish EPG available on older stuff, other than just HD.

This might not seem fair to those of us stuck on Sky+, but there has to be a bit of give-and-take, I guess... I don't think it's totally fair to disallow companies to try and tout their newest products to us, by tempting us with features that we should, surely, desperately want.

Now... if Sky had a stable HD offering, I'd be there about now, I think. However, from my investigations (mostly forum-based) I do not think this technology from Sky is mature enough yet to give me the stability that I crave.

And, they did provide Anytime to Sky+ customers, not just HD customers... though, admittedly, I turned that off.

Cheers, DpM

M4T VW

Yes , HD only i'm afraid.
Gives Sky another reason to promote HD.
How did you find this out?

I find it hard to believe sky wouldnt update all the boxes with the new EPG. Its not really a money making sceme for them, More of an overdue update.

It might not be at the moment but i think they would apply it to SKY+ over time.

Starburst

Novice Member
I find it hard to believe sky wouldnt update all the boxes with the new EPG. Its not really a money making sceme for them, More of an overdue update.

It might not be at the moment but i think they would apply it to SKY+ over time.

The older boxes simply do not have the local memory and processing power to handle a far more demanding GUI as they are all built to a "just good enough" specification for the current service, SKY hardware has always under powered and I suspect as more people get the new GUI complains of performance will grow.
As mentioned the HD only aspect also provides a marketing opportunity and also means the SD user bases (digibox and SKY+) are not split which means far less complaints then using HD as the demarcation line.

mattclarkie

Novice Member
How did you find this out?

Sky have been fairly adamant about it. Originally it was planned for Sky+ and SkyHD many moons ago (about 4years when I first heard about the plans), but the processing power required for the EPG means the older Sky+ boxes can't actually handle it. From all accounts the SkyHD box struggles at times, although it struggles with the current EPG :D.

Sky are likely to phase out SD boxes over the next 4/5 years. There has been a big push for HD, and I am willing to stake Sky would take the hit on hardware cost to get an HD box in every house, even if the user only had an SD subscription.

Beaten to it while spell checking my response :)

Last edited:

M4T VW

Thanks both.

I have HD downstairs and Sky+ as my multiroom upstairs so i wont be changing the sky+ box untill they offer me a free HD box..
I could be waiting sometime..:rotfl:

RicksonGracie1972

Distinguished Member
Let's face it, Sky would, in fact, be pretty daft if they made the new swish EPG available on older stuff, other than just HD.

This might not seem fair to those of us stuck on Sky+, but there has to be a bit of give-and-take, I guess... I don't think it's totally fair to disallow companies to try and tout their newest products to us, by tempting us with features that we should, surely, desperately want.

Now... if Sky had a stable HD offering, I'd be there about now, I think. However, from my investigations (mostly forum-based) I do not think this technology from Sky is mature enough yet to give me the stability that I crave.

And, they did provide Anytime to Sky+ customers, not just HD customers... though, admittedly, I turned that off.

Cheers, DpM

Firstly what is EPG and secodly why would you turn off "Anytime"?

Starburst

Novice Member
Firstly what is EPG and secodly why would you turn off "Anytime"?

In the early days some people complained about the noise as for some bizarre reason the fan kicked in on some peoples boxes. Others believed that Anytime was causing random crashed and overall instability both of which I think has more to do with the flaky and poorly tested code SKY hardware runs on.

Dan 800

Novice Member
Does anyone known a set release day for the new EPG or is it a gradual process ?

Stevenage Neil

It is a gradual release based upon, I believe, your make of HD box.

I have had the new EPG for a couple of weeks now. The wife hates it!!

alphaomega16

Distinguished Member
It is a gradual release based upon, I believe, your make of HD box.

I have had the new EPG for a couple of weeks now. The wife hates it!!
I dont have it yet and I dont want it

6 channels per page instead and the fored info at the top.

*** do they think the i button is for.

M4T VW

No need for new EPG questions here, Take it to the HD forum:D

I like the new look of it from what i have seen. Shame nothing will happen to the + box as it looks really dated!:thumbsdow

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Philips OLED+935 impressions, Denon AVC110 Review, Film Reviews, News and More...
Top Bottom