New EPG and HD Highlighter

Richchad

I have selected to highlight HD programmes in the customise settings, but it doesn't seem to work, tried highlighting subtitled programmes and the worked okay, but not the HD programmes.

I thought the idea was that you could see in the 'all programmes' guide any programmes that are in HD and maybe on the banner?

Has anyone got the HD highlighting to work, I only got the new EPG today on my Pace that was in for recall which never happened......

Boon72

it just turns the HD programs orange on the epg to highlight them form non HD programs

kenedin

The HD highlight works fine on 'All Programmes'.

Jaycee Dove

It is rather sloppily designed in that when you move the cursor over an HD programme you cannot really tell it is highlighted as being HD thanks to the choice of colour scheme.

But for all the programmes that are not covered by the cursor those in orange are the ones in HD.

kenedin

What colour are the highlighted HD programmes?

They are orange font on dark blue background, and, as stated by Jaycee, they are the same as ordinary programmes when highlighted in the guide ( ie dark blue font on orange background ). At least you can see the HD progs at a glance as you peruse the guide.

Richchad

They are orange font on dark blue background, and, as stated by Jaycee, they are the same as ordinary programmes when highlighted in the guide ( ie dark blue font on orange background ). At least you can see the HD progs at a glance as you peruse the guide.

Thanks kenedin, have got it working now, however have noticed that some programmes on channel 4 that are in HD are not highlighted in 'All Programmes' even though they are on the 'HD Programmes' is that because it says 'Programmes Originated in HD are highlighted'?

kenedin

Thanks kenedin, have got it working now, however have noticed that some programmes on channel 4 that are in HD are not highlighted in 'All Programmes' even though they are on the 'HD Programmes' is that because it says 'Programmes Originated in HD are highlighted'?

Yes. Many HD Channels show material that is not native HD. Just 'upscaled'.

Jaycee Dove

Yes. Many HD Channels show material that is not native HD. Just 'upscaled'.

And then there is FX HD....!:)

Which argues that upscaling is HD so bills everything as HD.

But you will soon see the difference between the new NCIS (real HD) episodes from the latest series and the older repeats, or a programme like Dexter that is pure HD.

Tony Hoyle

FX HD really need to get their act together - everyone else seems to be being honest about it.. It was a bit shocking to find out how little HD there is on C4 HD though.

HDCriticalFan

have noticed that some programmes on channel 4 that are in HD are not highlighted in 'All Programmes' even though they are on the 'HD Programmes'

Aaargh ! You'e confusing me !!!

Programmes on Channel 4 are not in HD.

Some programmes on Channel 4HD are in HD.

When using either the "All programmes" filter or the "HD Programmes" filter you will see that some programmes on C4HD (140) are highlighted as HD.

Only programmes made in HD are ever highlighted thus. The non-HD output of C4HD (which is most of it) is just SD material upscaled to 1080i. This will look better on your TV than simply looking at Channel 4 on 104 - but not as good as HD.

This is true of all simulcast channels (e.g. Sky One, FX, Sky Arts, Sky Sports).

Some channels are dedicated HD channels and only show HD material - BBCHD, NatGeo HD and Discovery HD spring to mind (although I'm sure that there are others).

Regards

Richchad

Thanks for that HDCriticalFan, I know that programmes on CH4 aren't in HD, I thought the idea of the highlighting was to tell you a programme was also being broadcast in HD so you could then switch to an HD channel...

The amount of times I have been about half way through a programme and then realised it was also in HD...it can be annoying so thought some sort of indicator would tell you every time, but sadly not to be.. :(

Restorer

Thanks for that HDCriticalFan, I know that programmes on CH4 aren't in HD, I thought the idea of the highlighting was to tell you a programme was also being broadcast in HD so you could then switch to an HD channel...

The amount of times I have been about half way through a programme and then realised it was also in HD...it can be annoying so thought some sort of indicator would tell you every time, but sadly not to be.. :(

Well this surely won't be happening on the simulcast channels as anyone with an HD box will presumably be tuning to the HD version.

I see what you mean though - for the likes of BBC channels it would be handy if the guide could give some indication of which channels are also available in HD. It would be rather complicated though since many of the HD shows are not broadcast at the same time as their SD equivalents.

Jaycee Dove

Only programmes made in HD are ever highlighted thus. The non-HD output of C4HD (which is most of it) is just SD material upscaled to 1080i. This will look better on your TV than simply looking at Channel 4 on 104 - but not as good as HD.

This is true of all simulcast channels (e.g. Sky One, FX, Sky Arts, Sky Sports).

Some channels are dedicated HD channels and only show HD material - BBCHD, NatGeo HD and Discovery HD spring to mind (although I'm sure that there are others).

Regards

Except that, as pointed out above, FX HD are marking as HD even things that they have upscaled arguing that they are upscaling from good originals so it is really HD.

Channel 4 only mark as HD programmes that are HD. And FX HD used to show only HD programmes until it became a simulcast when it now sometimes shows HD originals and sometimes upscaled.

But their policy appears to make it hard to tell which is which. If you check FX HD over the next few days via the new EPG everything is orange.

We are thus led to presume that every single programme is a proper HD original but as far as I understood the argument over this that has raged since FX HD went simulcast last month not all of them are native HD - some are good quality upscales.

If I have misunderstood the argument I apologise but that was what I had gathered.

Restorer

Except that, as pointed out above, FX HD are marking as HD even things that they have upscaled arguing that they are upscaling from good originals so it is really HD.

Channel 4 only mark as HD programmes that are HD. And FX HD used to show only HD programmes until it became a simulcast when it now sometimes shows HD originals and sometimes upscaled.

But their policy appears to make it hard to tell which is which. If you check FX HD over the next few days via the new EPG everything is orange.

We are thus led to presume that every single programme is a proper HD original but as far as I understood the argument over this that has raged since FX HD went simulcast last month not all of them are native HD - some are good quality upscales.

If I have misunderstood the argument I apologise but that was what I had gathered.

If they really are taking 35mm film originals and scanning/upscaling these themselves then is it not just as much HD as any so called HD film?

minute

Standard Member
It is rather sloppily designed in that when you move the cursor over an HD programme you cannot really tell it is highlighted as being HD thanks to the choice of colour scheme.

+1 on that one

The whole idea seems half-baked in the current implementation IMHO.

Jaycee Dove

For films probably, but the status of other programmes (FX do not show many films) is less clear.

For instance, older series of NCIS are being billed as HD but are not widescreen. Not sure if these are HD or not. They are certainly less obviously HD than the new series episodes shown in widescreen.

As for Family Guy. These are all billed as HD. Are they?

Hence the confusion.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: LG C1 OLED + JBL Synthesis SDR-35 First Thoughts, plus TV Show & Disc Reviews & more
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom