New Enigma2 Setup for FreeSat

KuchKuch

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm having a complete new setup installed on which I will just be watching FreeSat on. Can anyone foresee any problems with me using the following items together:
  • Technomate TM97CM-MESH-KIT Satellite Dish
  • Dur-Line UK 124 LNB
  • GigaBlue UHD Quad 4K Satellite Receiver
I'm hoping the above setup will give me a Sky Q equivalent for Freesat, where I can record six channels at the same time.

Thanks.

Last edited:
It will not give you a Freesat experience as it does not appear to be a Freesat box. It appears that it is a Free To Air (FTA) box and the easiest way to get the SkyQ equivalent is to get SkyQ.
Freesat is an EPG service that only provides a 7/8 day EPG . It is not a content broadcaster. This means that unless a box is a Freesat box, the user has to make other arrangements to get the EPG and recording schedule facilities.

What is on FTA services that make the recording of six programmes simultaneously desirable anyway It's only telly, and if you miss it first time round, it will be repeated later or available on catchup.?
If you don't want to access multiple satellites with some sort of steerable dish (which you have indicated that you don't by talking about Freesat) and want a reasonable EPG with series link recording, then get a Freesat box not an FTA box. And while you are at it, buy an el cheapo Sky dish and LNB (cheap as chips) and don't ugly up the outside of your house with a completely unnecessary JodrellBankesque 97cm dish.

I'm having a complete new setup installed on which I will just be watching FreeSat on. Can anyone foresee any problems with me using the following items together:
  • Technomate TM97CM-MESH-KIT Satellite Dish
  • Dur-Line UK 124 LNB
  • GigaBlue UHD Quad 4K Satellite Receiver
I'm hoping the above setup will give me a Sky Q equivalent for Freesat, where I can record six channels at the same time.

Thanks.

I had a customer build a sky q like system years before using a top of the line Vu+ multi tuner system with 50-60 satellite motorised system, cable and Terestrial tuners, streaming / IPTV all with wifi & wired LAN access to the system round the property. In so many respects it wiped the floor with Sky Q. I'm sure total number of recordings exceeded 6 .. I'm not sure what limits the number of recordings on any Enigma 2 boxes, it may be overall processing ability x bit rates etc. across S C T & IPTV and with standard tuners there can be limitations crossing transponders / mux's with greater recording autonomy on wideband tuner stb's

You can emulate the Freesat platform on an Enigma 2 satellite receiver (if you must) and enhance it adding the FTA Channels seemlessly AND if you have terrestrial - cherry picked channels from terrestrial and IPTV. There's all sorts of apps/ auto updating channel lists & epgs (including over all satellites)

That's Enigma 2

But all that OP says he wants is a SkyQ equivalent which he will not achieve without a great deal of jiggery pokerty and perhaps even activities of dubious legality.
As he
will just be watching FreeSat
His equipment list by far excedes this basic requirement and my suggestion was based on the KISS principle that is a Sky Dish/LNB and a Freesat box. This is of course based ion the principle that OP knows the difference between Freesat, Freesat from Sky and FTA broadcasting and really just wants to receive and record content using the convenience of the Freesat EPG and recording facilities.

Apologies all I should have been more clear. All I'm after is a new setup that will allow me to watch FTA channels on 28.2E.

I already have have a Xtrend ET8500 with OpenVix, but am after a new setup as I am getting the house refurbished and thought something like the above should suffice.

My concern is whether having one feed into my satellite box will cause an issue if I'm doing a scan and recording a program at the same time

You'd want both tuners connected for greater recording autonomy. At the most basic level, recording autonomy can be across 1 transponder if you only use one satellite feed albeit 6 recordings so if greater recording autonomy is important then at least have two feeds.

I don't know every process you can run at the same time as recording but it should be a lot.

A single TM5402 M3 can record 2 sat ,1 iptv / stream / timeshift/ access and rewind ff slow play any recordings including recordings being recorded all at the same time so I'd expect your box with that chipset etc should do at least that & definitely more recordings.

Then see my posts above. You don't need a huge(ish) 97cm dish (If you are in the UK).
My concern is whether having one feed into my satellite box will cause an issue if I'm doing a scan and recording a program at the same time
Yes it will, so use a quad (or more LNB) and run multiple feeders to the box. Other solutions are available depending on requirements.
But why would you scan and record at the same time anyway.

For just watching Freesat rather than Freeview?:)

You don't need a huge(ish) 97cm dish (If you are in the UK).

I live in London. My current dish is a Zone 2 and I still have instances where my satellite signal get disrupted by heavy rain. What dish size would you suggest?

But why would you scan and record at the same time anyway.

It's an automated process. My current receiver is set to scan automatically everyday at 3am and on the odd day I do have a recording on at that time.

It will not give you a Freesat experience as it does not appear to be a Freesat box. It appears that it is a Free To Air (FTA) box

His box is Enigma 2, you clearly don't know what that is either. They are very customisable & easily capable of emulating freesat or sky q environment .. (if one must).

That aside it will deliver all channels on freesat and free to air plus 7 day epg & extensive multi recording options from the EPG including apps to allow series linking etc

The key point seems to be to make sure both tuners have an lnb connection & simple enough.

His comments about dishes sound ... hmm twisted - this is a satellite forum last time I looked, we use big dishes & much bigger - that size is handy in heavy rain when neighbours sky freesat goes off, but much more useful on other satellites to supplement UK channels - then it's a really nice size -

Yes - I've just watching FTA satellite TV, so just FreeSat,
Freeview not available? Or some other reason for preferring Freesat?

I'd consider switching off overnight auto update & just do a manual rescan as & when or individual tp scan if there's a new channel like Freesports going HD etc..

We do use auto update via rescan on motorised .. quite something when it updates 10-20,000 channels on c. 60 satellites - but again it gets switched off when required.

I'm not 100% sure how that would clash with recordings - good programming would deal with that to.

Freeview not available? Or some other reason for preferring Freesat?

I get non-existant FreeView coverage where I am. I don't get all the channels and on some of the channels I do receive I seem to get very poor signal (blocky picture). It doesn't bother me so much, as I've read that FreeSat offers slightly better picture quality on the same channels as it isn't as restricted on bandwidth as FreeView is. (not sure how true this is)

Freeview is getting worse, it's only really almost comparable with Freesat if you are in a signal rich area & one that has all the channels & at full power .. but many channels only broadcast short shared slots like 2 am to 4 am and low power & it only takes a hill/ tree or building to compromise whereas a dish looks up & on a percentage basis far easier to gaurantee top reception & on up to 500 channels.

They're selling more of the freeview frequency off & I wouldn't rule out freesat replacing freeview at some point as the remaining frequencies look increasigly expensive.

I get far too much on Freeview here, even more, recently!
However if you're in the position of having poor reception then FS is an answer.
There's no need for more than a Sky dish and Humax receiver though.
That is unless you really need to record six things at once!

I think by scan @KuchKuch could mean the epg rather than channel list

I will be honest unicable systems are a bit over my head, another approach for a sky q type system (tbh I don’t like that term as enigma have offered this functionality for a number of years) is to use a FBC tuner with compatible box, VU would be the best choice imo, should allow the flexibility for recording, on top of that you have the freedom to add additional boxes which then connect over the network and utilise the tuners from the master box, ala sky q

In terms of dish I always take the view to go as big as I can without upsetting the wife, I live a few miles from the coast and on a hill so over the years the elements have contributed to a frustrating experience when using a smaller dish. A middle ground maybe? Something like a TD78?

just throwing some ideas out there

cheers

Before I confuse everyone. At the moment I use AutoBouquets on my OpenVix Xtrend ET8500, which refreshes everyday around 3/4am.

I'm proposing to use the same setup on a OpenVix GigaBlue Satellite Receiver with the Dur-Line UK 124, but wondering if a problem would occur if a refresh is taking place around 3/4am while a recording is happening at the same time. The only reason why I thought this could cause an issue now is because the Dur-line UK 124 LNB only has 1 output feed, whereas my current LNB has 4 output feeds all connected to my Xtrend ET8500.

So, this may not be an issue, but would appreciate confirmation from someone.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom