• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

New Elites have no optical audio out!

Wiggins

Established Member
Hi everyone. Just bought a brand new Elite today after my launch Premium red-ringed out of warranty. I'd researched on here about everything especially regarding getting optical audio out of the 360 when using an HDMI cable and was assured that Elite's came with a dongle for just such a requirement. Just unpacked everything and it seems there has been a change of contents in the box. There's no HDMI cable (which I'd read about and wasn't too concerned as I've got HDMI cables coming out of my ears). But the major problem is there is no optical audio out dongle.:eek:
All there is is a dongle that cables coming out for left/ right audio and a composite video cable. Yes, you read that right: composite. I thought the days of seeing high-end AV equipment supplied with the world's worst video connection were over.
Anyway- I know about the trick of using my old component AV connector that cam with my original Premium from the FAQ's section on here. In the long term though, I'd rather not have an exposed connector at the back permanently. So what am I supposed to do? There's zero mention of it anywhere I can find on the Microsoft site. I imagine it's out of the realms of possibility that they'd supply me with a free dongle if I contact them? If such a thing still exists.

Should also mention the manufacture date on the back is 2009-08-04. Also, it mentions in the manual under the troubleshooting section about sound: "Don't connect both the component HD AV cable and the HDMI AV cable to the console at the same time." So is it not safe for me to do the trick with the old HD AV cable and my won HDMi cable? Or are they jsut trying to make me buy their official rip-off HDMI AV cable?

Last edited:

Ico.

Prominent Member
There has been no audio dongle or HMDI cable with Elite's for a little while now. They are cheaper than they were but not when you factor in what they have removed from the box.:suicide:

Wiggins

Established Member
Gordon bennit- looks like a trawl through ebay now for a dongle or whatnot. More expense! Oh Premium- wy did you have to RROD?

Nemesis X2

Distinguished Member

Germinator

Prominent Member
"Don't connect both the component HD AV cable and the HDMI AV cable to the console at the same time." So is it not safe for me to do the trick with the old HD AV cable and my won HDMi cable? Or are they jsut trying to make me buy their official rip-off HDMI AV cable?

I broke open my component cable to get the optical, though I did put some insulation tape to round the metal parts to shield it.

Have had no problems with sound or image.

hdtvgeek

Standard Member
@ Wiggins

Hi chap, Do you have the elite hooked up to an amp with HDMI?

@ Wiggins

Hi chap, Do you have the elite hooked up to an amp with HDMI?

I assume if he had the right sort of amp & HDMI connection, he wouldn't be wanting a 360 optical output.

But I guess you are asking in the hope you can tell him that.

Wiggins

Established Member
No- my big expensive Pioneer amp with the HDMI connections is downstairs for the home cinema!
Just got a basic 5.1 surround kit upstairs with the 360. It's only got optical and coaxial inputs (and stereo left/ right).

ninc0

Standard Member
I bought an elite yesterday and am using my old component cable from my old xbox 360.

I hook up my elite via optical out to my Yamaha RX-V2500 amp but it won't pick up any signal from it.

I am trying out NFS shift. Is this a 5.1 game.

I have updated it on xbox live today so its up to date.

Any help please??:confused:

Thanks

daveb975

Distinguished Member
I bought an Elite last week, and it came with all of the cables (HDMI, optical dongle etc). Does this mean it is older stock?

It has the Fable 2 box and a manufacturing date of 05/09. It has the 12.1v power supply, so would appear to be a Jasper. Really noisy, though...

Nemesis X2

Distinguished Member
I bought an Elite last week, and it came with all of the cables (HDMI, optical dongle etc). Does this mean it is older stock?

It has the Fable 2 box and a manufacturing date of 05/09. It has the 12.1v power supply, so would appear to be a Jasper. Really noisy, though...

Older stock, but it is a jasper so you're lucky to get that one with all the cables. I asked for the fable pack but they had none left

OldSkoO1

Established Member
Can you still hack the component cable that is included with the new jasper elites?

If you crack open the plastic housing of the cable, is there an optical port hidden beneath still?

The latest video from AVForums

Spielberg, Shyamalan, Aronofsky, Chazelle, Eddie Murphy and Mel Gibson - all the latest movies
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom