New eco car advice

djcla

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi, im contemplating replacing my 2000 bmw 330d with a more sensible family hatchback thats good on fuel and need some suggestions. Its got to be well equipped and look ok but around £14k and around 2011 plate, so far im looking at but not seen in the flesh the toyota auris hybrid or the 1.6 tdci focus (new shape) . Anyone have ny experience with these as im struggling find a good set of reviews?

I'm sure I've seen BMW320ed (stress the 'ed' model designation) models available for £14k used, even though that might be slightly older than your desired 2011.
The fuel economy is incredible for a car of its size and performance.
163bhp/£20 roadtax and even I, who doesn't make the slightest attempt to drive economically, can get the trip computer showing over 60mpg.
The worst I get, driving it like a loon over country roads, is 45mpg.
We didn't find our wife's 1.6tdci Fiesta very economical, and a Prius is deeply flawed, IMO.

Was also looking at cheap running costs and not wanting to spend a fortune every time i take it to the garage

djcla said:
Was also looking at cheap running costs and not wanting to spend a fortune every time i take it to the garage

If you're looking at a 2011 1.6tdci, you'll probably still be looking at main dealer servicing for the warranty.
Our Fiesta 1.6tdci services cost between £135 and £200, depending on minor/major.
Which isn't a load cheaper than my 320ed, to be honest.

FZR400RRSP said:
If you're looking at a 2011 1.6tdci, you'll probably still be looking at main dealer servicing for the warranty.
Our Fiesta 1.6tdci services cost between £135 and £200, depending on minor/major.
Which isn't a load cheaper than my 320ed, to be honest.

True fair points, its when mine needs any parts etc i seem to shell out a fortune but maybe i should consider a newer one.

If you're used to BMW you will hate hatchbacks. You're also used to the grunt of their awesome 3.0 diesel engines, and you will miss that. I'd be looking out for a newer, low mileage 330D Touring if I were in your shoes. Still do 50mpg(ish) and still a great car. Probably looking at a 50k mile 08 for 14k or so.

davidwatsonok said:
If you're used to BMW you will hate hatchbacks. You're also used to the grunt of their awesome 3.0 diesel engines, and you will miss that. I'd be looking out for a newer, low mileage 330D Touring if I were in your shoes. Still do 50mpg(ish) and still a great car. Probably looking at a 50k mile 08 for 14k or so.

That's my main fear that I will hate it and regret

My workmate has a 2010 Focus 1.6tdci and the mpg he gets is nowhere near what he expected - around 45mpg overall.

NorvernRob said:
My workmate has a 2010 Focus 1.6tdci and the mpg he gets is nowhere near what he expected - around 45mpg overall.

Around the same as our '59' plate Fiesta 1.6tdci
Not bad enough to kick off about, but not good either.

I've been trying to figure out how to market a training course that effectively tells people they're bad drivers. In the same car, on the same roads, and with me usually being considerably faster I always maintain about 10-15mpg more (based on the dash reading) than the wife. She isn't an awful driver, but tends to be impetuous and reactionary instead of calm and prepared. I have taught a few mates about observation, planning, anticipation, and the tricks to ensure your car uses the minimum fuel, and always teach my clients the same. Some get it and adopt it into their normal behaviour, but most return to their natural way, even though it costs them several hundreds of pounds a year in fuel, and possibly more in wear'n'tear vehicle repairs.

Based on 10k/yr, my wife would spend £470 more than me in fuel than if she would listen and then apply the teachings. A mate with a Clio Cup Trophy who was getting an average of 24mpg now gets 33, saving him a potential £630, and he has stuck to it he says.

If you're due a new car anyway then go ahead, but often a change to a more economical car can be unnecessary if you can adjust your driving to make your current car work more efficiently under your control. If you consider the outlay on buying the new car, and the fact that you will drive it in the same way, then you may not benefit much as most cars of similar sizes and spec have similar consumption. Save on the finance, loans and cash outlay and modify your driving, and save thousands maybe.

I'm not implying that anyone here is a bad driver.

Last edited:
Tested a new focus 1.6tdci today was very impressed, really nice car with lots of toys hmmm

My company went all Eco last year and I replaced my 320d for the new Passat SE 1.6tdi saloon.

I miss the power of my old car but I save a fortune in company car tax etc. £0 road tax this year as well.

Do approx 35k miles pa. Mix of motorway and town. 54 mpg compared to 41 in my 07 320d.

Loads of room inside plus huge boot. 585 litres. Based on Audi A6 platform.

Loads of toys as standard. Auto lights/wipers, auto seat adjustment, climate control, DAB radio plus full iPod integration as standard. Not your usual Aux in but MMI box located in glove compartment which means you can have full control of your iTunes via stereo controls etc etc. £300 extra on the Audi's. Bluetooth as standard. Pair up to four phones. SE version around £19k new so you might be able to pick up an 11 or 61 plate within your price bracket.

Sport version adds sports seats, sat Nav and a few other extras as standard.

Might not have the same badge appeal and drivers experience but it is still a lovely car.

Our Titanium spec Fiesta 1.6tdci was loaded with toys too, but I'd have preferred if they'd put more effort into build quality instead.

Sorry... Re read your original post about hatchback... Well they do an estate version of the Passat.. Or there is the Bluemotion Golf

Around the same as our '59' plate Fiesta 1.6tdci
Not bad enough to kick off about, but not good either.

Not what you would expect at all. I have a 2.0D 2006 X Type estate that weighs nigh on 2 tons and has done 127k miles, and that does 42-43mpg.

Our 1.6tdci was maybe bad on fuel because it was asthmatic as hell and needed thrashed to get anywhere.
It was supposed to be 86 horse power, but they were surely Shetland ponies.
86bhp in a small car shouldn't have been so utterly gutless.
But, going by the build quality, I wouldn't have been surprised if Ford left a piston out.:)

I'm getting a minimum of 45 round town and 65 on a run from my 55 plate Passat 1.9 tdi. (with 155k).

As someone else stated I have a relaxed, observant driving style and find that helps!

Well picked up the the new car on Thursday was a good price and ticked all the boxes. Main criteria was trouble free cheap motoring . I looked at the one series bmw but the new shape focus won. Managed to pick up a 1.6tdci (115) in black on a 12 plate with 2000 miles . Car is really nice it's the titanium with appearance pack, sat nav and convince pack ( parking sensors, assisted parking etc ) . Drives well quite pokey too considering but I have to admit I was won over by all the tech in it :) being able to set the temperature with voice control is kinda neat. It's showing 49mpg at the moment but It has done much motorway driving yet so watch this space.

One or two niggles with the stereos lack of pause button, and the radio seems to stay on after you turn the ignition off, I'm sure the latter is not normal

Edit what a numpty the radio only switches off when you open the door , bit odd though but i like it

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom