1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New ebay scamers on ebay........

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by andypandy, Jun 28, 2004.

1. andypandy

andypandy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Couldn't help but notice these new pirate ebayers advertising DVD's as region 2 - showing stock photo's when quite clearly these dvd's have not been released in the UK.

One of these ebay id's is "jamesgoods". Another giveaway is every single one has DTS sound. Now, if you think about it - these DVD's will play in any dvd player so the buyer may be none the wiser. I'm sure there will be some kind of excuse when the buyer gets a dvd cover with R1 on it.
    I've even written to some of the people is has sold dvd's to in the past and no one has replied.

He even has a copy of The Little Mermaid (walt Disney) currently at about £17 !!!!!!!!. He states R2, but the small print in the advert states it's Malaysian R2 version...more like R0 !! Like all of them he sells.

WHAT A BIG CON. And report him as many times as you like and his adverts are not been removed.
    I don't mind people being truthfull about what they sell even if they are R0, but lying..... :oops:

This guy is making big money.

2. Miyazaki

Miyazaki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +850
    eBay don't give a ****. The sooner eBay are held responsible for the crap that is listed on their website the better.

3. Mr Bump

Mr Bump

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Yeah, further proof that FACT aren't worth **** is the fact they have done nothing about ebay, despite the fact they KNOWINGLY allow pirates to operate on their site.

4. sjp1966

sjp1966

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    It annoys me that 90% of DVD's sold on eBay are obviously pirates, it stops hampers geniune sellers from selling there movies and it puts us off going to ebay to search through all the s :censored: t to find a real, geniune dvd/bargain.

I dont bother reporting them to eBay as they do nothing and even if they did, all they do is remove the advert, i normally report them to FACT and i would have though that they would do something.

I suppose if enough people complain they will be forced to, and it may be an idea to CC in the studio on any emails sent to fact

5. jay75

jay75

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    EBay clearly don't care as long as they're getting paid. If they cared in the slightest they would make it easier to complain/report sellers which are obviously selling pirated goods. Even the FACT website doesn't have a Clear and simple reporting method, so what's the point in even bothering.

As was said above if they wanted to do something about it they would or at least make it harder than it currently is. I don't think I would personally buy anything from E bay as it's too hard to tell the genuine DVDs from the Pirates, although some of the Pirates are easy to tell apart by their DTS inclusion or region coding.

6. andypandy

andypandy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Going back to my original post I really don't mind adverts stating their DVD's are region zero/copied/bootleg/R1/R2, etc, but they should genuinely state what they are. So people are aware what they are buying.

I am only reporting anyone I see advertising a dvd who may state for example it's a region 1 when it is clearly R0.

All this region coding is just such a big money maker.

7. krusty

krusty

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    although e bay is teeming with copies of movies and games. , we dont know wether trading standards or even fact are using the site disguised as buyers etc. any dvd collector worth his salt will know all the release days for region one and region 2 , so surely when say SPIDERMAN 2 turns up its pretty obvious its a pirate!! if it looks dodgey it is dodgey!! and lastly when return of the king turned up on ebay[ bootleg] in its early days a few sellers had there accounts discontinued...so ebay do do something

8. andypandy

andypandy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    fair enough with Spiderman 2, but some films which are going to be released in a months time are in fact dvd quality out there. i.e you wouldn't be able to tell the difference even when the originals do come out. Keeping your ears to the ground and you will know when there are copies out there that are A1 quality for picture & sound.
    It certainly doesn't help their own corner when a dvd is released in the States months & months before the UK release. eg Finding Nemo.

Ebay close down accounts I think after 2 or 3 reports, but then again they just open another account - apparently that's legal ??
    What you'll probably find is that a pirate seller has many many id's sometimes bidding on his own dvd's just to bump up the price.

Ebay are doing something, but quite simply just no where near enough.
    Do you think they want to commit :suicide: . Imagine the loss of revenue.

What about those fake LV handbags, etc.

9. FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You would think FACT would actually contact EBay and take action against the piraters but nope why not ?

10. Family Guy

Family Guy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not sticking up for the pirates here guys, but remember R2 also covers Japan...you'll get shed loads of discs that are R2 that are not for sale in R2 Europe...

11. MartinImber

MartinImber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    I have had home made DVDs pulled from Ebay because they were according to them pirate - they completely ignored my emails and complaints.

So I removed DVD-R and relisted OK!!!!

Just relisted them again as I could do with some cash!!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2256278796&sspagename=STRK:MESE:IT&rd=1

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2256278817&sspagename=STRK:MESE:IT&rd=1

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2256278844&sspagename=STRK:MESE:IT&rd=1

12. rags

rags

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +324
    That little lot deserves to be pulled :D

13. MartinImber

MartinImber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    :( They take me 40 minutes to do including printing the covers!!!

14. rags

rags

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +324
    Im just winding you up mate.

15. MartinImber

MartinImber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    So am I :beer: :beer:

16. samijubal

samijubal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Watch what you buy on e-bay, I bought a DVD there with the audio so far off from the video it's no good for anything but a frisbee, haven't bought one there since.

17. forrestgump

forrestgump

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +49
    report the seller to e-bay otherwise they will carry on doing it

18. Simon6776

Simon6776

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Not all ebayers are crooks! I have made several successful trades (buying and selling), and I have no complaints so far. I always check the other person's feedback, and my golden rule is not to deal with anyone who has less than 99% positive feedback. Reporting bad traders to ebay doesn't seem to have much effect, although there was, apparently, a seller offering bootleg live CDs from a big rock act, from their 30th Anniversary concerts, who had his listings removed, and his account cancelled, "because the intellectual property rights owner notified eBay that the listing potentially infringes its copyright, trademark or other rights."

The best way to deal with rogue traders is to leave negetive feedback, so as to warn others. Although this doesn't stop them setting up another account, they have to start from scratch, with zero feedback.

19. FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    But most of the scam merchants tend to have great positive feedback and those that don't change their name and probably get some mates to give them glowing reviews or make up aliases and give themselves glowing reviews EBay is rife with piracy.

20. samijubal

samijubal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The person I bought the DVD from had good feedback, I always check that first. By the time I watched the DVD it was too late to post negative. The way e-bay lets people rack up negatives and then just change names is lame.

21. Miyazaki

Miyazaki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +850
    I agree. They should tie a username to an IP address, or if it is a dynamic one, then at least an IP range.

22. Simon6776

Simon6776

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    I can't see how that would be practical. Are they going to ban everyone on BT Internet, for example? Perhaps they could use addresses or postcodes to ban people? I don't think there's a simple solution. A clever scammer is going to find a way round everything.

23. Miyazaki

Miyazaki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +850
    True, but if they did it the IP way that would make more sense. Maybe people that get affected could email eBAy with proof they aren't that infringing person and ebay could sort them out?

It's a good idea to ban everyone on BT Internet, serves them right for being mugs and going with BT in the first place ;)