1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NEW DVDO Iscan VP30

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by mutley, Aug 12, 2005.

1. mutley

mutley
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Well it looks like DVDO will introduce at CEDIA their new video processor.

It looks promising as it will have 4 HDMI inputs.

Don't know what the outputs will be, but it would be nice to have 2 HDMI outs to connect to a plasma and projector! :smashin:

There's a first picture here: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=568954

2. Andy80

Andy80

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Yes, 2 HDMI outs would be nice. I wonder if those reported 4 HDMI inputs might actually be a pair of inputs and a pair of outputs. That would make more sense to me. Still, we should know on Monday.

3. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,779
  4. lukassk

lukassk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Nope is says that there is 4 HDMI inputs on the web site:
    "The DVDO® iScan™ VP30 is the next generation high-resolution video processor and A/V switcher that sets a new standard for up, down, and cross-con-verting all of your video sources. Whether it's your 480i cable feed, 480p DVD player, or 720p or 1080i HD set-top-box signal-the iScan VP30 scales your video output to perfectly match the optimum resolution of your display, up to 1080p! Plus, it's HDCP compliant over each of the 4 digital HDMI inputs, and accepts any legacy 480i/480p analog sources."
    See below
    http://www.dvdo.com/pro/pro_isvp30_spec.php

5. lukassk

lukassk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    so Me thinks that we shoud expect some price drop on Iscan HD+ ???
    That would be nice :clap:

6. Andy80

Andy80

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    So it is! :oops:

Shame about the one HDMI out, it makes it a less attractive option if you have two display devices each with HDMI/DVI inputs.

7. Mark_a

Mark_a

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +469
    Try telling that to the muppets who make and distribute HDMI switches! They react like you're talking Martian and you just said you intend to cut their kid's throats, or something.

Regards

Mark

8. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,464
    lukassk

The DVDO iSCanHD has pretty much been discontinued in the UK and can be had for around £500.00.

The HD+ is now the entry level product (US SRP $1,499.00) and the 'Flagship' VP30 has been launched with a US SRP of $1,999.00.

The VP30 is not intended as a replacement for the HD+ so I doubt the HD+ will be heavily discounted.

Best regards

Joe

PS Mark_a - possibly the Muppets know something you dont!!!

9. Mark_a

Mark_a

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +469
    Yeah, how to shaft punters. Don't worry, Joe, I know in the fullness of time what I want will become available, and at a reasonable price. Market forces will see to that.

Regards

Mark

10. gandley

gandley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +269
    still based on the sil504 chip, and still no real HiDef processing, bit of a disappointment

11. Andy80

Andy80

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Yes, a bit of a disappointment and only the option of the one SDI input too. Maybe next years model will be better.

12. mutley

mutley
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Gefen has launched a 4 in 2 out HDMI switcher !

http://www.gefen.com/kvm/product.jsp?prod_id=3099

13. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,464
    Hello mutley

The Gefen option has been available to Mark_a for a while now - Mark refuses to pay Gefen 'Rip off' pricing :)

Mark_a doesn't want a Distribution amp he wants a manual rotary switch at sub £50.00.

Best regards

Joe

14. Mark_a

Mark_a

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +469
    True. I recently had a series of email chats with Mr Gefen himself on the subject. And he admitted a 'One to Two switch' wasn't something he'd ever considered, which personally staggers me. He did have the grace to say it would be something he might consider, but switching HDCP wasn't easy or cheap. When I pointed out to him that many of us simply want to not have to swap cables, so a static switch-before-you-use box would suit us perfectly, at which point he changed subject and wouldn't answer the point I made. Then again, when you can make and sell £250 amplifiers that many don't actually need, why bother with a £30 manual switch? Lot less profit in that.

The answer is the Chinese and the Taiwanese will see a market and they'll produce the goods. Leaving Mr Geffen to flog expensive toys to the oafs who still think they're getting something special, and continue to send an amplified signal to a switched off TV or projector.

Regards

Mark

15. Mark_a

Mark_a

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +469
    They also do a 2 in, 2 out. But you'll notice on both models the only actual switching is on the input side. Both models simply split and amplify the output to the two outs. So for anyone simply wanting to output their DVDs/Sky to either their TV or their projector, they would be permanently sending an amplified signal to whichever display they have switched off (assuming that you do actually switch one display off while you watch the other - a not uncommon, or unexpected situation, I would venture). In short, a waste of time, effort and money. And for the privilege of this entirely unnecessary bodge they want to charge you over £250. Bargain, or what?

Gefen may be the first out of the block, but they won't be the last, that's for sure. But don't get me wrong, I think they make fine products to meet certain problems, but they don't make what I want, and they charge far too much besides. If they did make what I wanted for, say, about £80 then I might even buy it, but they don't, so it's academic. But they only charge what they charge now because they can, it's a very young market. As HDMI becomes more common their prices will have to change. Hopefully I might even have spurred Mr Gefen into actually making what I want, but my money's on the far east to come up trumps first, to be honest.

Regards

Mark

16. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,464
    Mark_a

You do Gefen a disservice by constantly saying they want to charge you £250.00 for a 1:2 solution - yes they don't have a 1:2 Distribution Switch that's sub £100 but they do have at least Three 1:2 Distribution Amps that will do what you require; two of them are sub £180.00.

I've not seen you on the AV Receiver Forum having a go at every AV Receiver manufacturer on the market who don't produce custom products to your specification - can I hazard that you don't have every Input/Output socket on your AV Reciver plugged up and that in fact there may be a few unused sockets.

And tell me do you have Surround decoding chips in your DVD player and your AV Receiver, and what about video deinterlacing; in your DVD player, TV and Projector - what a nightmare paying twice for the same thing :)

Best regards

Joe

17. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,779
    Mark: Gefen and others make DA's as they are required and there is a market for them. The issue here is that you want to use a product for a task it wasn't designed for purely because no-one has seen fit to make a unit that does what you want. You make it sound like some conspiracy.......Once someone makes your switch I'm sure you'll find that Gefen, Extron, Dtronics etc will continue to make and sell DA's for the application they are intended.

When I was at CES or CEDIA last year there was a guy who had specs for a device that is what you want, I think. I emailed him several times on my return but he has not replied. I tried to find his little business card in my office but it appears to be long gone. I'll see if I can search my outbox to get his details and try to see if it ever came to market or not.

Who knows, if the demand is really there maybe I can make some obscene super profits of a fiver a piece.....

Gordon

18. Mark_a

Mark_a

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +469
    Which I in no way dispute.

No, not a conspiracy, simply a (deliberate?) failing on their part to recognise a more than legitimate gap in the market. Though I do tend to think that if they can continue to make and sell high-priced distribution amps in their stead, then there isn't much incentive to produce a more appropriate device, at a much reduced price, now is there? A touch of make hay while the sun shines? And why not, I'd do it in their place too.

I'm sure they're coming, it's such an obvious thing to make. I'm hardly unique in wanting to switch between a TV and a projector.

Regards

Mark

19. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,464
    Hello Mark_a

As you say yours is not a unique requirement - but equally as many folk ask about a device that enables two (or more) Display devices to be used at one time.

Hopefully someone turns up with the HDMI Output selector you require some time soon.

Best regards

Joe

20. Mark_a

Mark_a

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +469
    I'm sure there are many folks who want to run two displays simultaneously, though I think it unlikely they are the majority of domestic TV/projector users.
    And I think it highly likely that, given the choice, most folks would opt for a remote controlled switch, rather than a dist. amp.

Hopefully. :)

Regards

Mark

21. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    I always found GeFen devices good value and VERY well made, my last box was about £55 delivered. I consider them a quality make at good price, not as portrayed here. I would certainly recommend them to anyone.

Mark, why don't you make your own DIY solution? ;)

22. Mark_a

Mark_a

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +469
    I have considered this, but a quick Google didn't produce any one selling HDMI sockets, that I could see, short of buying several thousand from a far eastern company. It's certainly something I'd have a stab at if someone like Maplin flogged 'em. :)

Regards

Mark

23. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV
    Well-known Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    You can get DVIs, use adaptors for any HDMI source.

http://cpc.farnell.com/jsp/endecaSe...=75&No=0&Ntt=dvi&Ntk=gensearch&comSearch=true

Pound fifty a connector though, sounds far to pricey to me... :rolleyes: Perhaps we can build one out of playdough and some lego

24. Mark_a

Mark_a

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +469
    Another bodge, then?

Oi! You've already had over £800 outa me.

Regards

Mark

25. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV
    Well-known Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    LOL!!! It's better than the option of ordering hundreds of HDMIs in from Molex! Mind you, I've just remembered a HDMI-DVI adaptor is £30-40ish each so we're right back where we started again hahaha !!!!!

26. Mark_a

Mark_a

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +469
    'Course, Lumagen could solve this problem if they designed their boxes with two switchable outputs. I'd gladly swap one, or both, of the DVi inputs for another output. I wonder if they're purely software controlled, and a little bit of tinkering on their part could make the DVi sockets reversible?

Just a thought :)

Regards

Mark

27. big_marcelo

big_marcelo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've heard DVDO is working on their own deinterlacing chip and will eventually offer as a 'do it yourself' upgrade on the VP30.

that's the rumour ......

28. aaronwt

aaronwt
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If they have an upgrade I doubt it would be a "do it youself" upgrade. It would probably be like the uprade from an HD to an HD+, where you send the box in to get it upgraded.

29. Thatsnotmynaim

Thatsnotmynaim

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +127
    Not if all the hardware is already there and it's just a software upgrade.

30. aaronwt

aaronwt
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    But it has the Sil504 chip. The upgrade would involve using their new chip. A software upgrade isn't going to change the sil504 chip.