1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New DVD32r owner!

Discussion in 'TAG McLaren Audio Owners' Forum' started by Thunder, Aug 31, 2004.

1. Thunder

Thunder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Just bought John M's DVD32R, fantastic! :thumbsup:

2. Teejoo

Teejoo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Great!

At least you know it's in perfect shape :D
    And I still think the DVD32R is one of the coolest things you can buy! Who needs SACD or DVD if they can play a CD on a DVD32R?

Have fun with it!

3. Joelc

Joelc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Just out of curiosity... did John say why he was selling his DVD32R?

Joel

4. Thunder

Thunder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Not sure, maybe hes built a DVD192R for himself from the designs that TMA came up with before they were bought by IAG :laugh:

5. GrahamMG

GrahamMG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +192
    I believe a DVD192R did exist as I was told that fantasia2000 played on it :mad: I doubt any of us could afford it though.......

6. JohnMulcahy

JohnMulcahy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Hi Graham, that Fantasia comment referred to the development kit for the chip that would have been used in DVD192. We never built a DVD192, prototype or otherwise.

7. t-force

t-force

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +99
    So then John, why did you sell your DVD32R?

8. JohnMulcahy

JohnMulcahy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    I'm interested to see what can be done with an HTPC setup, so I'm raising a development budget for experimentation. :)

9. GrahamMG

GrahamMG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +192
    Hi John.
    Great minds think alike :D Please share your experiences with your HTPC build as I'm finally getting somewhere with ours....Now if I could find out how to get it to play SACD's life would be perfect!

10. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674

There's an SACD card(don't ask me which manufacturer,I'm at work and havent got the magazine to hand!),for PC's,but if I can remember this,all it will do is to enable throughput of SACD from the PC to an external decoder!....Sony's comments were that they were concerned about interception of unencrypted SACD data(surprise,surprise) and had no plans to make available any form of proper SACD card for computer use at this time.
    Think it was in the short comments at the beginning of last month's HiFiNews.

Otherwise very happy with an HCPC here...it may not be up to the video quality of a DVD32R,but it's playing through an RPTV,and looks fine to all of us here!...also very versatile from the audio viewpoint,and works very well with an AV32R.

11. Garincha

Garincha

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think the fact John M. sold his DVD32R shows the best the truth about that player and TAG as ıt was.

sad sad sad that story...

12. Dr Udo Zucker

Dr Udo Zucker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +35
    Hi, I think you do no justice, neither to John, the DVD32R or the former TAG McLaren Audio. Firstly selling expensive audio products after not longer being involved in the audio industry is financially and emotionally sound in my opinion. Please remember John lost his job as Technical Director of TAG McLaren Audio - together with 95% of all employees.

In addition, remembering that the DVD32R (without PSM192) has only an analog video output and John has a DLP projector, makes the investment into a player with DVI output, whilst getting some surplus cash, very, very sensible indeed.

John, in line with most TMA employees put their heart (and when buying TMA's products with their money) 110% into the company. However, TMA as we know has disappeared - gone with the soul of 95% of people who are not longer employed by TMA. Whilst products with the TAG McLaren name are still available for the time being - and are as attractive as before - , the "old" company has gone. This has broken many people's heart, inside and outside of TMA but it was unfortunately not in our power to keep the company, when it was, such as its products unique, alive, for many, many more reasons as most of you are usually discussing.

Don't throw mud at an innocent action...

13. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    Garincha...If you have nothing useful to add,just don't add anything.

14. audionutter

audionutter
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Good to see Udo and John participating in this forum nowadays. As a Tag McLaren audio owner, it is indeed sad that things didn't work out. I wonder if things would have been different if McLaren had kept winning on the F1 racetrack? At least they now have their first victory since Malaysia 2003!

The demise of the company should not affect the quality of products that have been made, I find my AV32R SP and matching power amp to continue to offer superb sound. Of course, that only encourages me to look for a DP or AV192, which seems to be a bit difficult to get hold of now that I've moved from UK to Malaysia. So if anyone is thinking of selling their DP or AV192 then let me know!!!

Incidentally, just been doing some quick maths based on Udo's statement that 95% were laid off, so I guess that means Tag McLaren originally employed 40 people?

I've also noticed that the Hong Kong distributor for Quad/Wharfedale/IAG has chosen to demo the entire range of Tag McLaren branded stuff at this year's HK AV show, at the very least it seems encouraging that the products will continue on in some form. Hopefully they will carry on the development of the brand!

15. Joelc

Joelc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Udo or John:

Just out of curiosity... what type of projector does John have!

TIA,

Joel

16. JohnMulcahy

JohnMulcahy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Hi Joel,

Actually not a projector, I have a Samsung DLP RPTV on the way, in the USA and Canada the model number is HL-P5085W (HD2+, 7-segment wheel).

Best regards,

17. GrahamMG

GrahamMG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +192
    Alex.
    Very interesting on the SACD front, I think Sony are going to have to let PC's be able to do replay if the format is to become the next CD.......Of course we could have SACD decoding built into a AV192R :lease: :lease: :lease:

Regarding the DVD32R's video replay ability, well we have 2 HCPC's that at least equal the 32r's straight video output now, deinterlacing and scaling I'm not so sure about yet. If I feed the HCPC via the DVI input on our AV192R and off to our PJ it does look like it has the legs of the video ability of the DVD32R but it is largely a matter of personal taste....."Unfortunately" the CD ability of the DVD32R still beats any HCPC convincingly but I'm working on it.......It is possible to beat the CD ability but not for anything like sensible money........Our DSD PC editor/mastering setup does but then it is bloody expensive so there is "life in the old dog" yet (note for Udo, British humour and in fact a compliment to the DVD32R!)

Regarding Audionutter's maths, I can only think of one person that works for IAG who was in at the death of TMA

18. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    Not sure if this counts,but my PC armed with an offboard DAC and upsampler sounded pretty good against a DVD32R....thinking about it,I guess it doesnt quite count as an HTPC in that respect!

19. Dr Udo Zucker

Dr Udo Zucker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +35
    Hi, trust me the fact that McLaren F1 won (or better didn't) recently had nothing to do with the demise of TMA nor did it's financial performance, as often stated. The main reason was - in my opinion - that 1999 Daimler-Chrysler bought 40% of TAG McLaren Group BUT excluding TAG McLaren Audio. There were of course sound reasons not to include TMA, e.g. it was the only activity not involved in automotive technology and not located in Woking. Please don't forget also that Daimler-Chrylser separated from the majority of its own electronics businesses around that time. After that change of ownership TMA was placed in nowhere-land. This combined with the difficult times, particularly the often unacceptable achievements in many countries outside the UK (where TMA depended on 3rd party distribution) made it of little value to its owners. It was a real surprise that TMA survived in its old configuration until March 2004.

I have an AV32R DP and an AV192R on offer - for the right prices of course. And this isn’t because I don’t like them but that I have more than one processor. Beside a lot of other surplus hifi, I would like to get back in use instead catching dust on my shelves.

Finally TAG McLaren Audio had in its best days about 130 employees. At the time the company was put on the market there were still 95! I had the unfortunate task to make most of them redundant, one of them was myself.

20. Joelc

Joelc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5

John:

Nice to see you on the board... nice RPTV... enjoy it...

FWIW... my scaler situation is still unresolved. I am hoping to get a new projector within the next month. If that does not solve the problem I assume that I am going to have one hell of a fight on my hands with IAG. I am, however, keeping my fingers crossed.

Take care.

Joel

21. audionutter

audionutter
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Oooh, Udo thanks for the info and especially the AV32R DP and Av192 bit! I presume this is not on offer thru the forum yet, so I suppose I will not be breaking any rules if I post my email up in case anyone wants to contact me to discuss anything..................audionutter@hotmail.com

So the main reason was because TMA no longer fitted in with the core business? That's a shame, but I suppose TMA needed quite a bit of money to continue running as an independant company. I guess that's why there was no management buyout either but did anyone thought of starting another hi-fi/AV company comprising ex-staff of TMA?

22. Dr Udo Zucker

Dr Udo Zucker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +35
    Hi Kelvin, I don't think the money was the cause of not seeing a management buy-out. Anyway, this is history...
    I believe that high-end audio is changing significiantly whilst we speak which reduces the need for outstanding engineering. TMA was in my opinion unusually competent in its engineering abilities, but such expertise isn't required if your solution is a merely repackaged mass-market solutions! And that's the way it goes: mass market solutions get more and more complex and are heavily contraint by patents. No high-end company will be able to match this in future.

23. Emmanuel

Emmanuel
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Interesting Graham. When you say you're working on it, did you try to sync the HCPC to the TAG processor using T²L for example ? It could be very very interesting...
    What type of power supply do you use in the HCPC as this part is a very critical one in this audio/video application ?

24. GrahamMG

GrahamMG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +192
    Hi Emmanuel.

Regarding sync issues, I believe it has been asked before on the TAG forum and basically the TAG kit needs to talk to TAG kit for the T2L link to work, I am not aware of other brands being able to take advantage of it (or PC's for that matter). However measuring the HTPC digital output it was remarkably stable.......
    PSU's in the HTPC....well yes we did consider building a proper off board PSU to cut electrical noise but........We just used a good quiet PSU from www.quietpc.com and good quality shielded internal cables as going all exotic rather defeats the object of repeatability/simplicity and cost..... The main difference in CD quality between the DVD32R and PC's is probably the mass of the transport and maybe the quality of the chipset between the transport and digital output, but I'm trying.......