New DVD Recorder Tosh 1st impressions

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Party Animal, Jan 22, 2004.

1. Party Animal

Party Animal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Came home from work this evening to find my new Toshiba DR1 has arrived... (my first dvd recorder)

came supplied with one Ram disc and a few composite cables
    £329 m/region

connected it up via Component to my 42" plasma and spent about an hour messing about trying to get it off the bloody setup menu,s first major gripe is that the setup button is underneath the flap
    (extremly annoying having to lift the flap all the time)

eventually got a DVD up and running in Progressive scan and the picture cannot be faulted (top Drawer) and would say the output is better than the Pioneer 530 its replacing.. although the difference is not jaw droppingly better.. as the Pioneers also have a pretty good picture

the build quality namely the tray is a very flimsy affair and am of the mind that my daughter could easily break it... so its going to be kid gloves treatment with the tray.. but on the whole its quite stylish with the "angled" front

playback is totally silent.. can not hear the disc spinning at all... a vast improvement on my 2 Pioneer DVD PLayers which are as noisy as hell in comparison

not had a chance to record anything yet as I have been busy with other things.

but so far the Picture is as expected with DVD PLayback -- tried various region discs including home made ones an so far it has recognised and played them all

will read the manual in detail this weekend and get some recordings done to see what its capable of in the various modes

one question to other DR1 users connected via component
    in the setup menus the options are
    Video
    S/Video
    RGB

I have tried both Video and S/Video and the PRogressive scan blue light is activated. yet there seems to be no difference in Picture quality

if I put it to RGB the picture goes off (Obviously)
    so the question is what is the correct setting for componenet connection?????????? there appears to be no difference - and the manual is not very clear

2. BigRD

BigRD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    I've had mine for 2 weeks now and am very pleased with it.

Once you've finished setting it up you won't need the setup button again.

I can't comment because the display on my Tosh 32zp38 prog scan Tv is flickering and it's annoying - still waiting for a date for someone to look at it.

I think the machine is well built and quite solid but the tray is plasticky. I suppose it's like that to allow cartridge RAM discs to fit.

yep mine too.

I've recorded a few things in S-Video from Sky+ and the quality is great. Finalised and added thumbnail menus and it plays in my sons PS2. Once you read the instructions it all becomes clear (strangely enough :laugh: :laugh: ) editing on RAM discs is great.

Just leave it on video that all you need to do.

BTW mines a R2 only.

3. Party Animal

Party Animal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    think you could well be my "guru" BigRD
    So expect a bunch of questions in the not too distant future
    the manual is pretty large

4. BigRD

BigRD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    No problem.

I think I've pretty much got the hang of it now. You shouldn't have to read ALL the manual. I just read bit like how to edit, how to delete scenes, how to add & edit titles. Evrything really revolves around the Quick Menu button and the Edit Menu. The Quick Menu is also used while in the other menus to give you more functions. I have left the quality on SP for most of the time but it's handy to change it manually to fit a more exact time onto a DVD-R.

So far I've recorded onto 1xRW and 6 R. and various times on RAM without a coaster.

5. Party Animal

Party Animal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Fisrt question then BigRD
    I cannot seem to get my head round the rear inputs
    both scarts seem to input composite

the only input for s/vid appears to be the front one.... the rear s/vid is output (not input)

so the only way I get a s/vid picture is thru the front connection which is obviously not pleasing to look at

the manual is very unclear as to which input/outputs accept which signal

I obviousy want the best input picture possible. which on the Tosh is s/vid but feeding them thru the front is not what i am wanting

am I missing some basic point here
    I have a Sky plus box

the Tosh DR1 is connected to my plasma via Component direct to plasma

I did try thru my amp (switching) but there seems to a "quirk" where the switching loses sound

Cheers

6. BigRD

BigRD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    The AV2 scart definately inputs S-video. It's the only thing I have connected to it as an input is S-Video from Sky+. You will have to set the AV2 to S-Video from the setup menu though. You can do this by entering the setup, choose the icon furthest to the right and you should see the AV2 Input selection.

I don't use my amp for switching - too much loss through the circuits.

whish I could do that :)

7. Party Animal

Party Animal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I must add that normal playback of dvd recordings is working fine
    vis optical co-ax to amp
    and component straight to plasma

both sound and vision are normal (good)

8. Party Animal

Party Animal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    double posting

9. Party Animal

Party Animal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    At the moment I have it connected via scart>scart from sky box to AV2
    on video if i set it to s/vid the picture is black & white

it is definatly recording in composite mode

how-ever I have a s/vid >scart cable and it will accept it as a s/vid input but with no sound (obviously not wired for sound)

but with rca cables from the sky box to the audio inputs on the Tosh I can get no sound on recordings

so what i need is to get sound & picture
    currently
    s/vid in av2 records in s/vid no sound.. really struggling at the moment trying to get these working in harmony

Gonna try another scart lead but the current scart is a fully wired scart so I cant imagine the scart lead is wrong

seem to be trying all combinations at the moment and finding it impossible to record anything other than composite on the rear connections

although I can get a s/vid picture... minus sound which aint a lot of good

10. BigRD

BigRD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    The Sky+ only outputs S-Video via the mini din socket and not from the VCR Scart socket. That's why it appears in B&W.
    I use an IXOS 2XRCA Phono + S-Video to Scart to connect from the Sky+ to the DR1 AV2.
    The lead model number is XHT501 and is directional. :smashin:

You have to have the audio/video input to the same AV connection. i.e s/vid>scart on AV2 and audio on front won't work. Until my cable was delivered I used a set of phono leads and an S-Vid lead from the Sky+ to a scart adapter, not the best but it worked as a temp measure.

Is the Prog scan PQ really good compared to RGB?

HTH

11. Party Animal

Party Animal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Inputting the lot thru the front is just fine everything works fine

I have changed the Leads so much that I ended up confusing myself with this lot
    Talk about spaggetti junction LOL

I think my falldown here has been me mistakingly thinking that using a fully wired RGB Scart would get me up & running with a minimum of fuss

it works like that but via composite on a 42" Plasma is a complete non starter.. the picture is truly awful

so until I buy the RCA/s/vid>scart --- I will use the front connections

as to the merits of the picture quality with various connections I would say that... my current set up allows a pretty good side by side comparison of most connection scenarios

Sky box is thru an RGB>Sims VGA converter to plasma
    picture is very good (depending on the channel) i find that Skys own channels always seem to have the most bandwidth..or best picture

since the Tosh recorder is connected direct component>plasma the picture is basically the same watching Sky programs maybe a touch softer

DVD Playback via component progressive is excellent... I can actually loop the dvd thru the dvd player and watch it via RGB which is also excellent

I also have my PC hooked up to a VGA switcher... so I can use the PC on the PLasma (great for games etc)
    the playback of DVD from the pc is very good..better than my previous pioneer 530
    trying to split the PC V Tosh recorder is impossible as both give truly outstanding playback

on the positive side the s/vid performance of the Tosh Dr1 is far superior than either the SKY+ or PIoneers

the picture before was so so (artifacts) glady the Tosh has no artifacts...
    which is a big relief... as this was my biggest worry.
    as I said earlier the only 2 things I dont like with the Tosh is the horrible remote.. and the tray is far too flimsy

12. BigRD

BigRD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    I'm glad things are looking up for you and you're getting to grips with it now:clap:

I'm jealous about the plasma though....maybe one day.

I'm in the process of recording all of Still Game - Sat BBC2 23.10 on Sky+ then recording an episode at a time to DVDR. I'll be copying the second episode later tonight. I also plan to do this with The Simpsons. Looks like there's going to be a lot of enjoyment between Sky+ and the DR1.

It's good to get a comparison on the S-Video with other bits of kit. I think the remote could've been simpler with more of the unfrequently used functions hidden or been dual function but c'est la vie. I hadn't really noticed the tray being flimsy it doesn't seam any worse than anything I've had before but that could be down to experience.

13. Party Animal

Party Animal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    these recorders are a pretty steep learning curve in comparison to Sky+

seem to be getting there now, although have,nt had time to get to grips with editing out the adverts yet

as to the Plasma... we all love it and can honestly say its the best bit of kit in the house

we got it about 16 months ago, and could not imagine not having it now... definatly never going back to a CRT in the Living room

14. Wraith

Wraith

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi BigRD can I pick you brain as well.

I am a bit of a newbie to this.

I have recently decided to get some new kit.

Basicly a tv and a dvd recorder.

I had heard that progresive scan was the way to go as it will improve my picture quality alot.

I searched the web for a progresive scan tv and came up with the Toshiba 32zp38B. I liked the look of it and think it will fit well with the rest of my equipment i saw you had one and wondered what you thought of it?

As i said i also wanted a DVD recorder. I found the DR-1 and thought it would be the perfect match for the above tv, although you say that you are having problems in that it is flickering.

I really need help, there is just to much to chose from any advice you could offer me would be much appreciated.

:confused:

15. BigRD

BigRD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Hi Wraith,

I bought the ZP38 last July after my Philips 28" 100Hz Tv went pop. Initial findings were that the picture was very good if a little bright and contrasty. That was because the factory settings had the brightness, contrast and colour set far far too high. I used the T2 THX video setup to sort that out. the picture is now amazing. The Active mode adds up to 90% more pixels to improve the image and it certainly does.

I used an Xbox at first then once I got my DR1 in Progressive Scan mode to test the PS ability of the TV. TBH I didn't see the advantages I heard others talking about. I thought the image flickered too much but it may that I'm used to flicker free 100Hz pictures. Apparently some people are more susceptable to 50Hz flicker than others it's really down to personal preference. The best way to test is to go to a local store to demo it. I started watching Se7en on Friday night in PAL PS mode and the flicker wasn't that bad at all - I was watching it with no lights on. When looking close to the screen and switching PS on and off on the DR1 you could see the difference and see the scan lines fill in when PS is on. Flat colours appear flatter and smoother. I now also understand when others have said that 32" is the minimum to see the advantage of PS.

Watching live broadcasts like the news really are outstanding.

The DR1 is, in my opinion, a great machine. It looks good, it's built well gold connectors etc, records to RAM, -RW and -R, ouyputs PAL/NTSC progressive scan Party Animal will vouch for the PS image on his plasma. The only downside is there's no RGB in - the best input is S-Video. I have found my recordings in S-Video to be very good though. I bought it primarily as a Prog Scan player the record function was a very nice bonus.

I'm now pretty much complete at the moment. I'll record to Sky+ then archive to DVD-R. I'll also use DVD-RAM to record multiple epsiodes of series like the Simpsons and use the DR1 edit facilities to remove the adverts. Then I'll copy the RAM disc to DVD-R on my PC.

Phew HTH :smashin:

16. helen B

helen B

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    After lots of scanning this forum I've decided to buy the DR1 but I have a couple of questions that hopefully someone can answer.
    I fancy M/R rather than R2 (this is my first DVD player other than using the kids PS2) and I want to know. Is it worth paying that bit extra cash for M/R?.
    I've read that RCE sometimes affects a few machines that are M/R so they don't playcertain discs. Will a DVD thats R1 and R2 modified still have the same problems with RCE?.
    I want to copy my childrens massive stock of Disney/cartoon vhs videos to DVD. Will this be possible?.
    I've seen threads on this forum about Macrovision etc And finally I notice this DVD recorder months ago and it still isn't widely available should this concern me (are Toshiba bringing out a replacement?) and does anyone know where I can get one from be it M/R or R2? Ive seen it at £299 - digital-point R2 or £349 multizonedvd M/R.
    Any help would be appreciated.

17. BigRD

BigRD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    It really depends on your disc collection. Do you intend to buy a lot of R1 discs? If you do then yes. RCE compatible machines are dependant on who carries out the MR upgrade it's better to ask the retailer before buying also the RCE only affects R1 discs.

Only if you can remove the macrovision.
    I don't know if Tosh are bringing out a new model this one only came out in November 03. I paid £299 inc P&P from Digital Direct I also saw it at Multizone for £349 or
    here

HTH

18. Wraith

Wraith

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thats Great cleared alot up for me. I shall be down the shops very shortly. I have just seen the 32zp38 for £1024 thats down 200 since christmas and i have found the dr-1 on digital direct for about £250 bargain i say considering its a recorder Thanks very much for the help. I will probably be back here when i get stuck setting it up. got to get it up the stairs fist though LOL

19. Wraith

Wraith

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi BigRd Me again. Above where you say you bought the dr-1 for £299 is this multi region the spec on the digital direct page is a bit brief to say the least. Thanks

20. BigRD

BigRD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    It's R2 only. I only have a couple of R1 films on DVD and probably won't buy anymore. The ones I have I'll convert to R0 once I buy a new DVD writer for my PC.

BTW it'll take 2 people to carry your TV up stairs :D

Check out Robertsons Online they have the tv at £1059 including delivery.

21. jasonmymail

jasonmymail

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Thought I read somewhere that the DR1 isn't NTSC compatible - so plays back US R1 discs in Black & White - even if you've got the Multi Region machine.

Can anyone confirm this?

Big spanner in the works if that's the case as have quite a few US R1 discs. I was set on the DR1 as already have a Tosh 220 player - great picture/sound twined with the Tosh Picture Frame TV - connected via component video leads - can't beat it!

Anyone know of any £250/£500 machines with component out? Am favouring -R/-RW rather than the philips option.

22. BigRD

BigRD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Page 7 of the instruction manual states

This recorder uses the PAL colour system for recording and playback. The NTSC colour system is for playback only.

So I reckon it'll be fine. :smashin:

23. jasonmymail

jasonmymail

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Thanks BigRD

That's good news - will be able to have my Tosh after all :clap: :clap: :clap:

I do like the Toshiba machines - hoping that the picture and sound quality play back of the recording machine will be up to that of the player only units.

Did some more research after this post and sort of answered my own question. I think that what I'd read related to someone who probably had an old TV that wasn't NTSC compatible. As mine's switchable PAL/Secam/NTSC don't reckon it will be a problem handling any of the non PAL inputs.

On another point - haven't actually seen one of these machines in the flesh and can't seem to make up my mind as to whether it's a looker or not? Love my 220 player but have to say that it's not the prettiest player in the play ground - hoping that the DR1 will be an improvement.

Anyone have any thoughts on the asthetics of the DR1 :confused:

24. BigRD

BigRD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    I've posted a couple of photos of mine here to let you see. I think it's a pleasing machine to look at more importantly my wife's happy. Please be aware that these images are 2.2Mb each, I wanted to post hi-res photos.

25. Party Animal

Party Animal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    jasonmymail
    most of my dvd collection are region 1... the Tosh plays them fine
    it wont play svcd though which for me is not a problem

as for"Looks" I think it looks pretty good. but regardless of Looks..
    it is a pretty good unit the recordings in 2 hour mode Look no different from the original broadcast

I am now getting going with it now. although I have not had time to edit out the ads etc yet

this is my first set top recorder. and I would buy the same model again if it went wrong as the Pro Scan is a must for me

26. Wraith

Wraith

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi everybody on digital direct it sais the Toshiba 32ZP38 is 100hz so surely it should not flicker, or does it just flicker when viewing things on the dr-1?

The Tv also has component video input is this the best? If so does the dr-1 output in this way

As for the recording the stuff i will be recording is not very good quality when it is on the tv so i dont think i will lose much in the process

Thanks again bye bye

27. Party Animal

Party Animal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Funnily enough I was in Empire direct this afternoon. had a look at the Toshiba 32ZP38

and it was flickering, dont think it was the refresh rate flickering --- it looked like interference from elsewhere

but it reminded me of the flickering mentioned in this thread

on my plasma there is no flicker whatsoever

the recordings cannot be faulted with this recorder... but I suppose the recordings on all of them (dvd recorders) totally obliterate VHS picture quality

as a comparison I have a Panasonic S/VHS vcr that cost a small fortune.... the recording on these "DVD" recorders is in a different league altogether

28. BigRD

BigRD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    I take it you meant the DVD-Recorders are in a different league ;)

Wraith,

Mine only flickers when selected to Prog Scan and I think it's more down to my eyes than anything else and nothing to do with the DR1. It flickers with an Xbox in PS.
    In Active mode the picture is outstanding with no flicker. The other modes are Natural and 100Hz. All modes are 100Hz except Prog Scan.

Party Animal will vouch for the DR1 PS on his plasma I'm sure.

29. Party Animal

Party Animal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Yes

as for the picture quality.... it looks the same as the original :smashin:

30. Seb1

Seb1
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I would like to know more about it's picture quality with PAL progressive scan...

I am think of buying a DR1 and replacing my Yamaha 540 DVD player, which has good picture quality in PAL progressive, but has very bad ghosting. How will the DR1 compare?

I will be using it with a projector...