New DVD problem

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Gary Parson, Jul 1, 2003.

1. Gary Parson

Gary Parson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Just got one of those DVD's from Wh Smith Cyberhome 400 and replaced the old DVD with it.

The problem I have is that when there is a widescreen picture or one with black bars top and bottom and also there is a bright picture at the top near the black bar this causes it to bend to one side and even roll the picture!! Why's this? Dodgy DVD? Try a different scart? (why didn't it do it before with same cable?) Dodgy tv? (why did the last one work ok?)

Any clues people?

2. Gary Parson

Gary Parson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I checked the DVD on a different tv and it worked perfect. Put it back on the one I use and it did that thing again.

I noticed that reducing the brightness on the actual dvd player made the bending almost dissapear but you couldn't watch the movie like that (cos this was on it's lowest setting -20)

Would a different connection other than scart be better or be a work around for this problem? Scart to s-video? Does the TV need adjusting somewhere inside?

Any clues?

3. Arthur Dent

Arthur Dent

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just a thought, but has your new DVD player got a settings option to toggle between 16:9 and 4:3. If so, have you tried each setting. Might be "teaching your grandmother to suck eggs" here, but it's the only thing that comes to my mind.

4. Gary Parson

Gary Parson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    yeah, that's set up ok. I asked on another forum and they said that using the composite or s-video cures this particular problem.

We'll see!

5. Gary Parson

Gary Parson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Tried a composite and it cures this problem. I think it's cos the tv is an older set and doesn't have rgb. I think that the scart is trying to force rgb and the tv doesn't like it at some point?

Ah well, it's sorted, just thought I'd share this if anyone else has this problem.

6. Arthur Dent

Arthur Dent

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, my reply seems to have disappeared into a black hole. Modem stalled I think ! Here goes again.

Glad it's sorted. The connections can be a bit of a headache sometimes. Just fitted a Panny DMR E50 DVD recorder into my somewhat complex AV set up. Recorded CSI on Chan 5 via the Sky box last night. Played it back earlier this eve. No video, just sound. After much head scratching, it turns out that I was trying to output an RGB signal into the one composite only Scart on my TV (the other 2 are RGB enabled but are used with other kit). Oh well at least it got me thinking (and cussing). Cheers :blush: