New DVD players better than "old" Philips DVD 957 ?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by fredde, May 28, 2004.

1. fredde

fredde

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all :hiya: and thank you for a great forum.

I have a question. I have just bought myself a Philips 42PW9945 plasma. I also have a "old" Philips DVD 957. I have connected the DVD player throug SCART to the TV but I am not very pleased with the picture. Is has gradiations/lag from skin contours and from fine smoke.

I borrowed a Pioneer 5100HS DVD Recorder of a friend yesterday and much of these contours/sharp gradiations disapeared. So I have come to the conclusion that my old 957 has to go...

So I need some advice on what to buy. I have a progressive component input on my 9945 so I wonder if a DVD player with progressive scan is what I am looking for? I have heard that Natural Motion then will be cut of so I wonder if it is worth it?

I also wonder if new players on the market today all have better on picture quality with my 957? Is it worth to replace?

Please advice :lesson: new member and newbie :)

:lease:

2. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    With no doubt...... but which one is best with your display I dont know. What money would you think of spending?

ad

3. fredde

fredde

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I will spend as much as it takes up to 600 £ to get the best picture. Picture is most important, sound comes in second.

New, question: Will progressive scan take away much of the ghosting coming from faces at quick horisontal movements?

My 9945 has a progressive component input so I guess this should be used, but what about Digital Natural Motion then? I like it a lot and don't want to be without :)

4. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I can make player suggestions but im afraid I cannot answer the device specific. Have you thought of going to a dealer and seeing if they would lend you something? My first thought on a player would probably be one of the denons, a 2200 I guess.

ad

5. fredde

fredde

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok, thanx I will go to a dealer and ask if it is possible to try a couple of his DVD players he has to show.

Denon 2200 looks very interesting...

Thanx for the tip.

6. Ikki

Ikki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +97
    The Arcam DV88+ is £499 from Creative Audio in Shrewsbury. Originally £1000, supposed to have a better PQ than the Denon.

7. fredde

fredde

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :-( Too bad I live in Norway then :-( it cost about 749 £ over here...

8. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    dont worry, im in (Northern) ireland and I doubt I could get one for as little as £749!

ad