New DVD Player with DVI output

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by bluebaron, Feb 16, 2003.

1. bluebaron

bluebaron

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It wasn't to long ago that people were telling me that SDI was the only way to go. Now that I see some DVI DVD players are coming out at $199 in the US. Even Samsung have one coming out.

Take a look at this http://www.vinc.us/pdf/bravo_d1.pdf

Could this be the solution for my Pio433MXE to keep it all in the digital domain?

2. cybersoga

cybersoga

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    That's great news. I'd like to see a Sony with DVI! I tried my PC with my friends 42" Pioneer plasma screen via DVI (bypassing the tuner box) and the quality was stunning. Will that work with a non HDCP complient monitor?

3. bluebaron

bluebaron

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That's a good point and I don't have the answer. Actually I'm not sure if the PIO433MXE has a HDCP compliant DVI input. Although the new Key digital card add on card has.

4. Dutch

Dutch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +280
    Hi bluebaron,

The DVI input on the PDA-5002 card is not HDCP compliant. As you say, the new spec Key Digital card has 2 DVI-HDCP inputs. There are 2 new cards from Aurora which also feature DVI-HDCP inputs.

Steve

5. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,803
    I would expect that copy protection will be encoded on all the discs you are likely to want to watch. This will mean that you will need an HDCP compliant input on your display.

You will also be limited to the de-interlacing capability of the DVD players electronics which may be inferior to that of an off board video processor or even of the display device itself. It will be all digital though (tag excepted). Just as RGB is sometimes worse than S-video with some devices I would expect the same may be true of DVI and analogue comonent.

Gordon

6. bluebaron

bluebaron

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Gordon.

I suspect that there will soon be hacks around to bypass the copy protection. There are a lot of Plasma and monitor owners out there with non compliant DVI inputs.

7. MattB

MattB
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    DVI from a Tag player with PSM into a Pio 433MXE was a bit of a non-starter.

NTSC discs appear in a dot-by dot central box, with horizontal stretch due to the rectangular pixels.

PAL discs will not play at all - sync out of range.

I use DVI exclusively for the PC where it works perfectly at 1280x768 with no distortion.

8. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,803
    Blue: I hope you are right but from what Ihear from manufacturers this is not like region hacking. The licensors for HDCP are likely to come down heavily on anyone who allows their product to circumvent the rules.

HDCP is a bit smart. It asks for a key when the two devices handshake. If there is not a return of the correct key the DVI output is switched off. If devices are disconnected it is switched off. The handshake for the key happens once overy 2 minutes or so.....I'm not a hacker geek so am unsure if this is a simple problem but from speaking to manufacturers of such devices(HDCP devices) they don't look like they are going to tell anyone how to disable the protection in a hurry.

Gordon

9. bluebaron

bluebaron

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hmmm.....I guess that if macrovision was stripped off a DVD by say using something like DVDXCopy then it would still play, right?

A bit of a pain though just to play your DVD's on your plasma. I still think with the existing userbase out there someone will be bringing out modchips to circumvent the protection.

When do you think you will be in a position to compare the PQ of the keydigital cards against the 5002? This could be one of the factors that persuades me to buy one.

10. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,803
    As soon as the cards are here I will be travelling to the nearest owner of a 5002 equipped machine. Probably Joe as he has one on order. No exact release dates from KeyDig yet but I am hoping/expecting end Ma beggining April.

Gordon

11. philipb

philipb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +132
    MattB

Did you mean 1280x768? - ie not the native resolution of 1024x768?

12. MattB

MattB
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Yes, I do mean 1280x768!

This resolution gets horizontally scaled to 1024x768 in the panel and gives round circles, correct aspect ratio for movies, etc. Check the pdf brochure where they go on about it.

The scaling does give some mild artifacts on text, and there is some shimmering as windows are dragged around but no big deal.