1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New DVD Player - What should i get

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by ceemo, May 26, 2005.

1. ceemo

ceemo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My DVD Player is very old and i'm looking to replace it but with what?

i want one that plays all formats on + and - disks (poss avi files as well) NTCS and PAL. basically the works for a reasonable price does anyone have any suggestions/advice?

2. Astaroth

Astaroth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101
    What is a reasonable price? £50? £100? £500? Given the recent survey on the forum on how much people have spent on their equipment 'reasonable' may be higher than you think.

3. ceemo

ceemo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    id say under £100 but closer to £50 if i can help it

4. Kryters74

Kryters74

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
  5. dbeamish

dbeamish

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
  6. rockhard

rockhard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  7. syntax error

syntax error

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I just bought the Cambridge Audio DVD57 today from Richer sounds to go with my new Hitachi PD7200 panel. I mainly got it on their advice, and the proviso I could return it if not happy.

Now althought through component it looks pretty nice, it has not blown me away. Checking on here it seems there are not many fans of it.

If I went up just now and got that player from them would I see a marked improvement?

Thanks.

8. Kryters74

Kryters74

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I am not sure if you would see an improvement as I don't know what the CA DVD57 is like, why dont you get one as well and then do a direct comparison, then which ever one lost you could take back! The pio plays just about anything so is very handy for SACD DVD-audio etc. There are plenty of fans on here for it as well

9. ptgrav

ptgrav

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Toshiba SD-340e is very highly rated. It plays DIVX files and can be bought £80 inc post online. What Hi-FI give it 5 stars.

Pete

10. syntax error

syntax error

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I just went and got the Toshiba SD - 530E from RS. I must say it is like night and day to the Cambridge Audio one they flogged me, although it did cost me £20 more (£120). But boy does that £20 go far. Very impressed! :clap:

On a down side it seems RS are no longer willing to give you two DVD players to compare then return later, the manager said they were ending up with too many open box players. So I have an opened Toshiba back with me, I can return that though along with the CA one and he will give me a brand new Tosh. Cant complain, but people should note in case they plan to buy two in the thought they can return one for a refund.

11. sholao

sholao

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ceemo,

Have you made up your mind?

I'm looking for a cheap multi-region (£50 or less) DVD player to replace my Samsung 709 pending my major upgrade later this summer.